View Diary: Participation at Dailykos: 2004-2014 (194 comments)

•  From time to time (15+ / 0-)

... I look at sites where people have set up shop after leaving here. None of them has much traffic. In the case of people banned or with grievances against dKos, there tends to be a period of bad-mouthing DK, and over time participation drops off to extremely low levels. People who think there will be a mass exodus from DK to their new site invariably are disappointed.

I'm not active on Twitter, but I do look occasionally. I do think some of the traffic, including but not limited to nattering chatter, have migrated from DK to FaceBook and Twitter.

Mark Twain: It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

by Land of Enchantment on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 12:48:34 PM PDT

•  See kos comment (5+ / 0-)

he certainly agrees with you

Everyone born after Star Wars came out is basically a Democrat. -- Save The Clock Tower

by jotter on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 01:47:11 PM PDT

•  On the other hand, Huffington Post leaped ahead in (8+ / 0-)

site activity - but achieved that through an odd mix of worthwhile writing and clickbait like celebrity sideboobs.

There are several consistently high quality Democratic websites with significant traffic. Daily Kos seems to be the best of them for enabling community and supporting members' diaries and conversation.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 02:36:51 PM PDT

•  Twitter especially (9+ / 0-)

I see a lot of names that I used to see in the comments here that seem to have migrated permanently to Twitter. It's actually the ideal platform for a mobile society -- easy to post and go, especially with the myriad of smartphone clients. (Some of my best diary ideas come from Twitter -- the week I'm due to host the War on Women diary I'll just put anything that seems suitable in my Favorites then bookmark the sites when I get to the computer. Works great when I'm in the waking up or falling asleep periods.)

by Cali Scribe on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 03:18:36 PM PDT

•  I don't use Twitter (2+ / 0-)
        Kevskos, HoundDog

... but I have gotten diary ideas from FaceBook, too. For example, one I did recently on reduced snowpack came from some links posted there by Outside magazine (which I follow on FB.)

by Land of Enchantment on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 04:17:14 PM PDT

•  Twitter comes in handy for immediacy (0+ / 0-)

I don't twitter all the time, but on events that are happening.. right.. now.. it is easier to use twitter than it is to update a blog.   I tried during the state capital event to update my diary on Dkos about the same time I was doing twitter, but getting photos and videos quickly up on twitter is SO much easier.

That said, the problem with twitter is that it absolutely destroys my editing skills, and I feel my writing suffers when I twitter too much because you do things with words to get across a point that is just poor writing hoping that the brevity will be understood

Gandhi's Seven Sins: Wealth without work; Pleasure without conscience; Knowledge without character; Commerce without morality; Science without humanity; Worship without sacrifice; Politics without principle

by Chris Reeves on Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 07:57:26 AM PDT

• Recommended (120)
  • Community (58)
  • 2016 (44)
  • Elections (37)
  • Environment (35)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (32)
  • Republicans (31)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Barack Obama (27)
  • Law (27)
  • Iraq (27)
  • Civil Rights (25)
  • Jeb Bush (24)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Culture (22)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (17)
  • White House (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site