View Diary: Running on Obamacare in Pennsylvania (74 comments)

•  I spent part of last evening comparing (6+ / 0-)

the top three PA candidates for the upcoming primary... and she came out as my least favorite. Allyson Schwartz was Third Way until it became politically inconvenient, and although she is generally as progressive as the Wolf and McCord on social issues, when it comes to the corporate company she keeps... sorry, she's not for me. Not one bit.

curious portal - to a world of paintings, lyric-poems, art writing, and graphic and web design • Drawing Out the Muses now available in e-book

by asterkitty on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 08:28:34 AM PDT

•  I'm far from decided (8+ / 0-)

myself but the Third Way connection and her seeming comfort with the wrong way for economics is an issue for me.

"I'm not left wing because i'm ideological, or passionate, or angry. I'm left wing because I'm informed." - Mikesco

by newfie on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 08:33:39 AM PDT

•  Here is a link to a few Diaries on Schwartz's.. (3+ / 0-)
        freakofsociety, paulex, newfie

..involvement and then rejection of third way, along with co-sponsoring a Bill to expand Medicare. The links within the comment lead to diaries by Armando and Joan McCarter (with recommends by Kos & one from MB)
        Allyson Schwartz leaves Third Way - Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM PST.

Schwartz's connection to Third Way drew attention in early December, when the Wall Street front group published a Wall Street Journal op-ed attacking Sen. Elizabeth Warren, liberal populism, and Social Security. At the time,a spokesman said Schwartz "thought Third Way's Op/Ed on Social Security was outrageous and strongly disagrees with it" and reiterated her support for Social Security and Medicare; Schwartz quickly signed on as a cosponsor of a bill to expand Social Security. Now, as Schwartz leaves Third Way, Daily Kos' source says that "The Third Way op-ed made this a much easier decision to make."
        Just for some of background on it
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. Yes the republican lite Mark McKinnon types (no labels) or third way are warning signs for me too. Looks like Schwartz's made the correct choice when she left third way and co-sponsored expanding Medicare. I hope her decision was heartfelt and not just political

•  The thing is though (2+ / 0-)

PA is not a liberal state. The people in the west are pretty conservative. :( Western PA is what Obama was referring to when he made the comment about people holding on to guns and religion.

I love president Obama!!!

by freakofsociety on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 09:38:50 AM PDT

•  He was referring (1+ / 0-)
        paulex

to central Pa.  Western Pa is Democratic but much of it is conserva-dems.  Pittsburgh and Erie are democratic.  Erie hasn't had republican control in like 150 years.  It was hooked up with the conservative Butler area to get a republican rep in and then they just divided the city in half with this last gerrymander to dilute it even further.

Everyone! Arms akimbo! 68351

by tobendaro on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 10:31:29 AM PDT

•  I don't know that he specified that (0+ / 0-)

Since I'm looking at the comment:

You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

But that means you could be right.

I love president Obama!!!

by freakofsociety on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 10:37:19 AM PDT

•  Here in the Illiteracy Capital of Pennsylvania (1+ / 0-)
        Cleo1205

(Pennsyltucky/North Alabama/Tinfoilhatsylvania), aka Lycoming County (Williamsport) where 25% of the population is illiterate and an additional 50% is marginally literate, teabaggers dominate the political landscape and "cling to their guns, religion, and antipathy toward those who are different".  Obama was talking about this area of northcentral Pa during his 2008 campaign visit.

This is the only county in Pennsylvania to participate in the federal literacy program, and the book chosen for residents to read was "To Kill a Mockingbird" (not a beginner's book -- I used Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs & Ham" for it phonetic qualities and fun) -- it was specifically picked for the benefit of "judges", prosecutors, cops, etc..