View Diary: Challenge from Left could complicate Andrew Cuomo's re-election (179 comments)

•  I don't really think so. (5+ / 0-)

The Tea Party had some muscle here in 2010 during the height of the Tea Party phenomenon...

But today, they're really just a very vocal annoyance with an elected crackpot here or there (IE: State Sen Greg Ball).  The mainstream GOP doesn't really fear them all that much here.  Even after Cuomo bludgeoned the SAFE Act through, few GOPers were primaried, and fewer still lost their seats.

I think it's more because they need to save face with their mainstream voters - who are generally pretty pissed off the GOP is such a joke in this state and holds no real power at the state level.  Even when it comes to them totally controlling the state senate instead of this co-control nonsense we have now, they GOPers in the senate were usually pretty quick to roll over for the most part, only acting as foils on major issues.

Funny thing is, take away the SAFE Act and gay marriage - and many of the the mainstream, rank-and-file GOPers in this state love Cuomo.  They won't come right out and say it, but reading the state level political blogs are interesting to say the least.  It's like they want to embrace him, but they just won't because his last name is Cuomo and he's a "heathen" on social issues.  Though some outright have - IE: the whole "Republicans for Cuomo" think organized by Ken Langone.

TBQH, the politics of our state are.... weird.  Largely because we have a different breed of Republican here than what you see in other states.

"There was no such thing as a "wealthy" hunter-gatherer. It is the creation of human society that has allowed the wealthy to become wealthy. As such, they have an obligation to pay a bit more to sustain that society than the not-so-wealthy." - Me

by Darth Stateworker on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 03:07:23 PM PDT

•  That seems to happen in the NE. (1+ / 0-)
      Darth Stateworker

Sure once I was young and impulsive, I wore every conceivable pin. Even went to socialist meetings, learned all the old union hymns. Ah, but I've grown older and wiser. And that's why I'm turning you in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 03:35:40 PM PDT

•  Well, somewhat. (2+ / 0-)
        SouthernLiberalinMD, poco

Maine and NH are as much oddballs from us as we are from the rest of the nation.  IE:  Maine electing LePage the crackpot as governor.

And New Hampshire - its politics and the attitude of voters there remind me of Texas.  They're all "rugged individualists" that "don't need government."

That may or may not be the case, but the last time I was there on a trip to Hampton Beach, I took a ride up the coast and around the state a bit on a non-beach day, and well, their roads were shit.  It was a bone-jarring ride through Pothole City.

So I think they need just a bit more government and a just a bit less "freedumb" "freedom."

by Darth Stateworker on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 04:01:42 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the local info (2+ / 0-)
      Darth Stateworker, poco

Local always trumps general knowledge, and kicks conventional wisdom to the curb :-)

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 03:36:07 PM PDT

•  My pleasure. n/t (3+ / 0-)
        Mannie, SouthernLiberalinMD, poco

by Darth Stateworker on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 04:02:06 PM PDT

•  Which, by the way, was how I won (1+ / 0-)
          Darth Stateworker

a campaign in 2010 that was supposed to be a landslide defeat. I listened to my candidate, who knew the district. and boy was it hard:  I had to go against my training in the conventional wisdom of how you run a successful electoral campaign.

But I trusted her to know her district, and she was right.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 09:38:56 AM PDT