View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: 2014 and beyond (74 comments)

•  9 points in the Medicaid expansion states? (1+ / 0-)
    DRo

All of this machinery and free care via Medicaid to boot, and all we get a grand total of 9 points?

Could we possibly put together a plan to deliver less bang for the buck?

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 04:57:24 AM PDT

•  whine, whine, whine (3+ / 0-)
      chujb, Amber6541, askew

This will take years.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" — Upton Sinclair

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 05:47:32 AM PDT

•  I certainly hope it gets more efficient because it (1+ / 0-)
        DRo

can't get very far if it doesn't.   You may believe that resources are unlimited, perhaps a reflection of your privileged standing in the world. They aren't.

And don't forget -- we start out paying far too much for health care.  Getting good coverage for everybody -- and silver and gold don't really qualify -- will break the bank if we don't fix the costs.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 05:56:36 AM PDT

•  Whoops! Make that silver and bronze. (0+ / 0-)

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 05:56:52 AM PDT

•  you're mixing medicaid and exchange plans (5+ / 0-)

but that's okay.

paying too much for health care is a health care problem not an ACA problem. Was true prior to ACA as well.

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 06:01:24 AM PDT

•  Not an ACA problem, but a problem for actually (0+ / 0-)

reaching the goal.

And yes, I mix medicaid, medicare, all of it together in part because I don't believe all of those programs should exist.   There should be care.  Period.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 06:32:26 AM PDT

•  the actual report correctly calls it (1+ / 0-)
                red moon dog

"a promising start"

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 07:25:24 AM PDT

•  Little question that much has been promised (0+ / 0-)

Let's see how deliveries pan out over time.

I just hope that the perception is good enough and the costs are constrained enough to build a sentiment for creating something really good.

One big thing that ACA has done -- it has opened the door. There is no longer an argument that we can't mess with the status quo because thunder and lighting will come down from the heavens and strike us all dead in our tracks.

OK, maybe there never was quite that argument, but you know what I mean.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 07:28:55 AM PDT

•  true. n/t (1+ / 0-)
                    dinotrac

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 08:35:17 AM PDT

•  hey did you read my interview? (0+ / 0-)

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 08:36:24 AM PDT

•  You big old KettlePot! (0+ / 0-)

All the crap you give me here on the orange page and much of what you said in that interview could have come (3rd person, of course) from me!!!

I get the feeling that I'm a lot more optimistic about coordinated care than you are, but...you're right about multiple conditions.  Somebody has to play doctor while the others are doctor consultants.  Collaboration has got to be a good thing.

During my family's scare a year ago, I would dearly have liked to speak with an oncologist instead of a radiologist and  surgeon to whom I was referred. One twenty minute meeting could have cleared a lot of crap up -- and saved a pile of money and fear.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 09:39:27 AM PDT

•  To the tens of thousands (4+ / 0-)
      chujb, Amber6541, askew, TerryDarc

of people that now have access to health care, that 9 points means a LOT.
      To the people in red states that didn't take the money for expansion, there will be higher health care costs (the 4.8 million who continue going to the emergency room for care that wastes more money than offering subsidized health care) and  they'll continue to be a drag on state finances and public hospitals.
      The short-sightedness of the red state governors who turned this money down is breathtaking.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person. Your behavior does.

by skohayes on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 06:29:27 AM PDT

•  Of course it does, and I have no problem with that (1+ / 0-)
        skohayes

I just can't help but think there must have been an easier, cheaper and better way to get it done.

Mind you -- I'm still pissed at all of the trouble we had, especially getting our daughter covered, so I'm not exactly an objective observer.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 10:42:03 AM PDT

•  PS (0+ / 0-)
      @markos If GOP wants O-care to cover more ppl, then pass immigration reform. CBO in 10 yrs: Nearly 1/3 of uncovered = illegal immigrants
      @ron_fournier