View Diary: (UPDATE x3)So this is how Net Neutrality dies, under a Democratic President. (762 comments)

•  As do I, HoundDog... (58+ / 0-)

It is appalling to me how complicit so many within this party are when it comes to this issue.

It's much like the defense of Obamacare. No one in their right mind disputes the notion that Medicare for All would have been the better, more efficient, and MOST POPULAR option to reform health care in this country. Yet we see diaries praising this law of expanding insurance company profits because...because....OBAMA.

I am sick and tired of being told to bow to this administrations accomplishments (and there are several, to be certain) while the outrages (continued drone assassinations, TPP, STILL undecided on KXL, all talk on minimum wage...and this disgraceful policy) draw virtually no ire on the part of leading Democrats and even FPs on this site.

More and better Democrats doesn't mean a sack of cat crap if the better doesn't improve things for everyday Americans. This issue will hit working Americans in the wallet...and BIG. If we truly care about those with few resources, and we don't want to disenfranchise those of limited means apropos access to the web, we will stand together. If not, we won't...simple as that.

Adequate health care should be a LEGAL RIGHT in the U.S without begging or bankruptcy. Until it is, we should not dare call our society civilized.

by Love Me Slender on Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 04:55:46 PM PDT

•  Right on Love Me Slender (13+ / 0-)

You echo my sentiments in perfect harmony.

•  B.Crap, Slender. (5+ / 0-)
        Tuffie, smugbug, charliehall2, Ellid, nosleep4u

Your views are ridiculous, and I don't appreciate the self righteous hooey of yours too, that you know better than those you oppose. This diary is about a very important issue, net neutrality, stick to it as per the daily kos rules. I agree 100% with everything the diarist said, it's reasonable. Your views aren't reasonable or rational, just goofy idealism and hatred.

As to Obamacare, it is a million times better than what we had before. I'm benefitting from it. You can take your ideological silly hostility elsewhere to a diary about how horrible Obamacare is. It doesn't belong here in this diary, and I'm not gonna let you just get away with it scot free. I don't give a damn if you think I'm an Obama supporter or anything else. Because your views are toxic and dangerous, and stupid and obnoxious, I'll tell you here to stuff it and take them to an Obamacare bashing diary or an Obamabashing diary. This diary's about net neutrality and saving it, only that.

•  You go! (9+ / 0-)

Thank God you finally arrived to lay down the law, comment #512.

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. ~ Garcia

by DeadHead on Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 03:24:41 AM PDT

•  Yeah, too bad for you and your pals. (3+ / 0-)
            GoGoGoEverton, Ellid, nosleep4u

Look, you and the others can't come in to every diary and lay down your s---t. I'm tired of it, and I'm not even one of those so called Obama supporters you and your pals so hate. I'm committed to the subject of the diaries and the rules, otherwise everything is always a pie fight and unreadable. I think you understand that. I know you get into your little fanatic side, but the majority of the time I do appreciate your posts when you aren't that way. I think you often have very good contributions, but frankly I don't want to see every single diary turned into the sux-rox pie fight. Also, when someone comes around and says something offensive, I don't intend to always ignore it. That means you get a chance to display your humor or debating skills in response, just so you can score points for the sux side, so exciting. I think this time around both the humor and debate skills needed an upgrade, too ponderous, you know you can do better. And I guarantee if you make me laugh or impress me with your debate points I'll credit you for sure with the accomplishment.

•  Sure they can. The funny part is (0+ / 0-)

that they do that without consequence, and then complain that OTHERS get special treatment.

I would advise not messing with or replying to him further...if you're on his 'I'm not following you, I'm just bookmarking your comments and referring to unrelated items from months back repeatedly in the hopes that you'll lose your cool', it's unpleasant and his stench his hard to clean off.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 07:01:36 AM PDT

•  Any comment on the actual content of the diary of (6+ / 0-)

the diary or just doing your regular shtick of meta?

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." Edward R. Murrow

by temptxan on Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 08:12:45 AM PDT

•  Hmmm... (0+ / 0-)
                I would advise not messing with or replying to him further...
                Excellent advice coming from a person who can't seem to take that same advice himself.
                That might be more persuasive if it wasn't coming from someone who himself goes to people's comment pages and pulls out completely unrelated comments they make to others in an attempt to score cheap points.
                it's unpleasant and his stench his hard to clean off.
                I understand why you'd feel that way. And your tendency to use demeaning metaphors when referring to me — "troll," tick comparisons, "stench," etc. — says more about you than it does about me.

Something I don't do to you in return, interestingly.

Thanks for the meta, though.

by DeadHead on Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 11:21:24 AM PDT

•  And my pointing out... (1+ / 0-)
              poligirl

Your late-arriving attempt to help it devolve into that "rox/sux" pie fight, rather than just ignoring the comment, is, of course, the problem.

And because I did so, you now lump me in with those you take issue with — "you and your pals."

Your comments to me in this diary have been quite revealing, though, and for that, I thank you.

Bye bye.

by DeadHead on Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 10:52:30 AM PDT

•  You apparently still can't read properly today. (1+ / 0-)
                freakofsociety

Don't know what's gotten you in such a state, hope it goes away.

I've told you I like most of your comments. I want no fight with you. As to lumping in, I was being extremely charitable and you know it. F that s--t.

As to revealing, you haven't a clue about me. I've read your sux-rox crap all over the place. You're one of the worst offenders. At the same time, I forgive it because I think you have plenty to offer when you aren't in that mode. Do you get that? I sure hope so. If you don't, I can't help you, and that is more revealing than whatever bigotry you want to lump me in with. Also, I sure didn't start the sux rox fight in this diary. It was the person I responded to who couldn't control themselves. Sounds like you're suggesting I should have ignored it. I'll consider that as possibly valid advice to consider.

•  The problem is on your end, not mine. (0+ / 0-)

You're bouncing all over the place.

You go from dick to "nice" and back again often in the same comment, and you're making me dizzy.

You apparently still can't read properly today.

Don't know what's gotten you in such a state, hope it goes away.

"Dick" instance #1.

I've told you I like most of your comments. I want no fight with you. [...]
                  "Nice" instance #1.
                  As to revealing, you haven't a clue about me.
                  Wrong. The "clues" are in your public comments on this blog, which are all I have to go on. I don't care what you've done otherwise, I'm dealing with your comments, here and now.
                  Dick instance #2. Give me some examples of my better "instigations," and I might consider the possibility that you aren't in fact, exaggerating for dramatic effect. Until then, spare me the hyperbolic bullshit, okay?
                  "Nice" instance #2. Thank you, I sure hope I can live up to your expectations. Apparently I'm failing miserably. Likely because I had the GALL to post a mildly sarcastic comment to you and commit the cardinal sin of HRing one of your asshole comments that called a grown man a "poor baby."
                  Do you get that?
                  No, I don't "get" it. YOU came into this thread with the attitude problem, not me.  All because somebody insulted ObamaCare and said other "mean" things about the president, or something.
                  Please don't use the word "bigotry" in a comment to me. You can come up with a better word that's less toxic, can't you?
                  Sounds like your lack of control contributed to the problem, no? People don't have to self-censor order to accommodate you. Get over yourself.
                  Sounds like you're suggesting I should have ignored it.
                  That's exactly what I was suggesting.
                  I'll consider that as possibly valid advice to consider.
                  Good. I'll be taking my own advice with you, henceforth.

by DeadHead on Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 08:18:27 PM PDT

•  What??? (0+ / 0-)

"You'll consider that-- as something to consider"??
                  The "person" you responded to,-- would control 'himself' not "themselves".  This is a public service, no need to thank me.

"To forgive is divine", therefore, you must be divine.

•  Well, that escalated quickly. :-/ (10+ / 0-)

You have to admit that it's a little bit surreal. I mean, sure, the ACA is better than what we had before. But it's still the right's model for healthcare reform. The fact that the Republicans have been foaming at the mouth because their own proposal for healthcare reform was taken up by a Democratic president is far more Kafkaesque political theater than actual political conflict.

But back to the topic at hand. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be angry that net neutrality may die on a progressive president's watch. And, at such times, it seems only right and proper that we start asking how progressive our elected leaders actually are without feeling the need to shush each other and start throwing invective. That does not enhance our political dialogue at all.

"You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world! This room is the greatest arsenal we could have—arm yourselves!" -The Doctor

by quillsinister on Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 10:44:45 AM PDT

•  My sentiments exactly! (0+ / 0-)

The one thing I take issue with: Obama is not a progressive Democrat; he's a New (moderate) Democrat much like Clinton and Hillary. So, I don't consider Obama very progressive and appointing a cable industry lobbyist to chair the FCC is a perfect case in point.

•  Worse than the wallet (12+ / 0-)

Think of the Cliven Bundy story. Without the open internet, it's likely that the ONLY way people would have heard anything at all about it would be through broadcast/cable media.

It doesn't take more than two seconds of watching to know exactly what consistent storyline people would be hearing.

Sean Hannity's take would be the gold standard for that story.

With an open internet, everyone under the age of 70 (and many over 70) can see for themselves the real story.

THIS is what the cable companies are actually trying to stop.

Anyone remember when the Bush administration tried to propose significant changes at the behest of the communications conglomerates? Back then, the excuse was that the internet was too insecure:

..but ultimately the Wild West must give way to governance and control.
        ...

Access to networks like the World Wide Web might need to be limited to those who can show they take security seriously.

- George Tenet, former Bush Administration CIA Director

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Can you help me make Green Planet Heroes happen?

by radical simplicity on Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 06:09:06 AM PDT

•  No-cal pizza for all too! (0+ / 0-)

Because that has a much chance of existing as Medicare for All.

NO ONE disputes the underlying point.

But isn't the ACA worlds better than what we had?  For 60 years?  Waiting for Medicare Godot???

•  Did you mean as much chance of existing, period? (6+ / 0-)

Or as much chance of existing in America? Personally, I'm getting a little tired of sliding towards third world status simply because of America's vast and ever-expanding lowest common denominator, and being shushed when anyone attempts to point out that our ostensibly progressive elected officials are, at a minimum, complicit. Other first world countries can have nice things like universal healthcare and infrastructure in good repair. Not us, though! And instead of a left vs. right debate, we have a right vs. fringe right debate. Having spent the better part of the last decade overseas, it tends to set one's teeth on edge.

I used to think that more Americans should spend a substantial amount of time abroad in order to experience other cultures and broaden their experience. Now I think they should do that simply to see what life is like in a place that isn't collectively insane.

by quillsinister on Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 10:26:18 AM PDT

•  Gotta (1+ / 0-)
            chickenfarmerwood

agree with you.  Last time I said other countries do things better and I wish my parents had stayed in Scotland, I got the usual "why don't you leave, then?" junk.  Be prepared to be told to go back to wherever you spent the better part of the last decade.

•  Yeah, heard it before. (0+ / 0-)

But given that it was a succession of military assignments, I can usually shut those people up with a quickness. :-)

by quillsinister on Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 08:50:47 AM PDT

•  Right!! (0+ / 0-)

As well we have no right to call it a democracy!  It's well past time to call for a revolution, not a Constitutional Convention!

•  better democrats? (1+ / 0-)
        Choco8

It's sad that people have their heads in the sand about the democrats and republicans. You can call them both the "republicrats", because the same big money interests own them. People still seem shocked while their parties say what they will do for them, and then their party does things TO them. The republicrats are selling our country out and should be tried for committing treason against the vast majority of it's citizens!

•  I agree about the importance of net neutrality. (0+ / 0-)

But am disturbed by the implication that the final decision has been made.  One thing very obvious about Obama is that he is NOT a fanatic, and CAN change his mind given enough pressure.  Rather than cry in our beer that Obama's appointee to the FDA ended net neutrality, we all should be phoning and writing Obama to draw his attention to the facts on this issue.  Lets change his mind.