View Diary: Obama Must Fire Kerry for Saying Israel Could Become an "Apartheid State" Demands Kristol Group (268 comments)

•  Apparently having an opinion about (5+ / 0-)

geopolitics warrants Hide Rating.

Sure once I was young and impulsive, I wore every conceivable pin. Even went to socialist meetings, learned all the old union hymns. Ah, but I've grown older and wiser. And that's why I'm turning you in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 01:22:56 PM PDT

•  Six years ago here, in a low-traffic diary (6+ / 0-)

this would have been a fight with probably 10-12 uprates and close to twenty hides.

On the same comment.

Depending on the author and how the particular day was going....it might even have been 10-12 hides and 20 uprates.

But it woulda been a fight.

"If anybody is wondering about Tom’s qualifications, Tom is the only member of both the cable television and the wireless industry hall of fame. So he’s like the Jim Brown of telecom, or the Bo Jackson of telecom.” President Obama

by JesseCW on Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 02:47:07 PM PDT

•  Happily, those days are over. (5+ / 0-)

People on this website are beginning to understand that Israel can and should be discussed as openly as can be France, Brazil, or Canada - and that we can be as critical of any one of them as we are of any of the others.

It's a refreshing change, and long overdue.

Celtic Merlin
        Carlinist

Struggle with dignity against injustice. IS there anything more honorable that a person can do?

by Celtic Merlin on Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 03:02:58 PM PDT

•  True (2+ / 0-)
        corvo, SouthernLiberalinMD

So somewhere on the internets there is progress in talks about the Middle East.

By the time our government fully embraces reality, I wonder how much of the West Bank will be covered by red tiled roofs and their private highways.

I think Israel (and/or AIPAC) has a large and problematic influence on our foreign policy and legislation as it relates to Iran and the Middle East. Since I've been hidden for saying this, I expect to be hidden every time I post with this sig.

by Black Mare on Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 03:29:23 PM PDT

•  Well, not to diminish your understandable (1+ / 0-)
          JesseCW

cynicism, it's actually kind of amazing that the President has refused to get more deeply drawn into the wars Bibi wants him to fight. That's unusual.

In the case of Syria, I guess he wanted to get involved, but we, and,  more significantly, the British, managed to stop the drive to full-on war against Assad. In the case of Iran, it looks to me like he genuinely doesn't want it. Well, as corvo pointed out, even W didn't want a war with Iran. You have to be pretty damned crazy to want that.

IOW, AIPAC has lost twice in recent days, losses which are pretty much unheard of for them.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 08:46:18 AM PDT

•  Putin stopped that drive. He deployed (1+ / 0-)
            corvo

a screen of Russian warships, some of them specifically anti-missile anti-air platforms.

by JesseCW on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 11:58:23 AM PDT

•  Don't underestimate what the British did, though. (0+ / 0-)

That was unheard of. Now maybe it was because of Putin's mighty ships, but I haven't seen us back down for a commonsense reason like that for a while.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 04:37:48 PM PDT