View Diary: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's outrage on the Don Sterling outrage may surprise you (316 comments)

•  There is precedent for the league to purchase... (20+ / 0-)

... the team and then sell it to another investor (or group of investors).  This was done by the NBA with the then New Orleans Hornets in 2010.

"In the absence of any viable purchaser seeking to own the Hornets in New Orleans, I recommended to the NBA Board of Governors that the best way to assure stability and the adequate funding of the franchise would be for the league to step in, and complete the transaction and assume control...."
      A year or so later, Tom Benson (owner of the New Orleans Saints NFL franchise), purchased the team for $338 million.

The profit by the NBA for the deal - $20 million in around 2 years - plus whatever profits they earned during the course of the seasons the league owned the team.

Looking through the bent backed tulips, To see how the other half lives, Looking through a glass onion - John Lennon and Paul McCartney

by Hey338Too on Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 09:35:10 PM PDT

•  But That Purchase... (12+ / 0-)

...wasn't a punitive action. I think Sterling should lose his franchise, or at least give up any control and submit to a lifetime ban from the NBA, but I don't think the NBA should use too much legal force. Not only will it look terrible if Sterling fights and drags things out, but I agree with Mark Cuban's assessment: it would be starting down a slippery slope, if someone in the league can be stripped of his personal property because of personal repugnance. (Bear in mind that Sterling did at least settle the discrimination suits against him. He's not accused of a crime here, just proven graphically to be a very ugly bigot.)

There's a big difference between being forced to give up control and forced from ownership. Sterling owns the Clippers outright, unlike Marge Schott, another racist who was forced to relinquish the Cincinnati Reds--but her fellow owners were also moving against her. Eddie DeBartolo was forced to give up the 49ers, but he also pled guilty to a felony. This situation is a little dicier. Perhaps the Clippers' sponsors fleeing will speak more loudly to Sterling than NBA commish Adam Silver ever could.

I also agree with Kareem's point that Sterling's ex set him up. I'm glad she did, and she executed it perfectly. But she set a trap just like those "memorabilia collectors" in Vegas did for O.J. years ago. Just like O.J., Sterling was dumb enough to walk right into the trap. And again like O.J., Sterling deserves everything that happens to him. But the ex is no hero. Especially if she tries to cash in now.

•  In all honesty, I am not against teaching... (27+ / 0-)

... a guy (and guys) like Sterling a lesson.  Sterling is a recidivist - he was caught more than once, did his penance each time, and then went back to his old ways.  If people didn't know it already,  we now clearly know that decisions he makes on the Clipper's and the league's behalf are colored by his world view.  He owns a franchise, and the licensor of that franchise needs to protect its brand.

by Hey338Too on Mon Apr 28, 2014 at 10:31:53 PM PDT

•  fascinating. (4+ / 0-)

especially this early in the morning.
            wee bitty thread, gigantic comments.
            THANK YOU.

i wish i had a good imbed queued up for you ...

TRAILHEAD of accountability for Bush-2 Crimes? -- Addington's Perpwalk.

by greenbird on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 01:03:34 AM PDT

•  He is rotten to the core. (21+ / 0-)

He will probably be hounded out of basketball, he's 80 and probably doesn't need the grief. He'll never be able to sit and watch a game in public again, so there's no status perk to having the team.

Beyond prosecuting him for any particular crime he may have committed, I think he's much more of value as a poster boy of the 1%, of just how depraved and sociopathic they can be, how they can be deranged by greed.

As bad as Romney was and is, his main value to entrenched wealth was to present a mask of respectability, "Ward Cleaver, " for the predator class.

Sterling is Romney without the mask. Man, is he ugly!

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 06:03:54 AM PDT

•  As is his poor girlfriend. (7+ / 0-)

Kareem makes an excellent point about the secret taping.  What was the "girlfriend's" motivation here?  And what was she doing with an 80 year old man, which resulted in over $500,000 in "gifts"?  His wife, too.  After years of horrible behavior, why is she still with him?  Let's not lose sight of the fact that all the players here are "ugly".  Even the poor, abused, beautiful young girlfriend.

•  You answered your own... (3+ / 0-)
                slowbutsure, raspberryberet, Fury

question.  She was in it for the money (and visibility).

"[I]n the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone...They're so thirsty for it they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand."

by cardboardurinal on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 09:03:44 AM PDT

•  Whatever (14+ / 0-)

I don't really have any interest in yelling at his girlfriend.  I don't see why any of her conduct matters to people who aren't dating her.

Sterling's the only player here, really.

•  I think attacking the girlfriend is stupid, plain (13+ / 0-)

and simple.  Of course everyone who's having an affair wants to believe their consort will be the souls of discretion and keep everything private.

Welcome to the real world, Sterling.  He voluntarily made these statements.  You only have true privacy if you keep your vile thoughts to yourself.  Once you've shared them with another party, that other party can do with them as they please.

I don't care whether the girlfriend was in it for the money, whether she was angry because he was going to dump her or didn't get her an expensive enough car, or whether she was just fed up with his racist comments.  Her motivation has no relevance to what he's said.

If I make nasty comments to anyone - spouse included - I accept the risk that they might well be shared with third parties - even the world - someday.

•  Getting Even (12+ / 0-)

I as amused by the Clipper's President statement that the woman is being sued for fraud for 1.8 million by the family and she vowed to "get even".

Guess what? She did. And then some.

Justice for an arrogant bigot living a messy life

"I can't believe that the noblest instinct of man - his compassion for another - can be completley dead here". Col. Dax - Paths of Glory.

by renewables on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 10:00:53 AM PDT

•  I agree completely. (14+ / 0-)

Whether Sterling was taped fairly, legally, vindictively--whatever--has nothing to do with what he said, with his own mouth, completely of his own volition.  His remarks are out there in the world now, where we, the listeners, are free to adjudicate them in the way we think appropriate.

Let the lawyers bicker over the woman's motives for making the tape, the legality and circumstances of it.  That has nothing to do with us, nor should it mitigate the consequences coming Sterling's way.

No one forced Sterling to be a racist, and no one forced him to admit that he was. He has zero excuse for his racism, and it's completely fair for all to conclude that he is an entitled, overprivileged, pus bucket.

I hope I've made myself clear?

•  Where I live, only one party needs to know (2+ / 0-)
                      pasadena beggar, raspberryberet

that they are being taped for it to be legal and admissible in court. So I really don't see that aspect as morally wrong. It's not like she secretly taped her neighbors or stalked a co-worker or someone she didn't know. It's NOT like she vaccumed up every phone call since freaking 1987. Pfft. Come on.

In some states, two parties have to be aware that they're being taped. No idea if CA is a two-party state or a one-party state.

But even if CA is a two-parties-must-be-informed state, that just means the recording is not admissible in court. I think Jabbar is way off base in comparing her to the NSA - so what? maybe he's worried about his own conversations being taped? If so, then don't say anything vile, offensive and stupid!

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any. -Alice Walker

by LibrErica on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 10:58:47 AM PDT

•  California is a two party state (5+ / 0-)

and it is illegal to record people without their consent in CA. It is not just inadmissible in court, it is legally actionable and a crime.

I think he's wrong in his comparison, but the idea that you would only oppose the NSA if you've got something to hide is just wrong.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 11:28:11 AM PDT

•  That's not what I said (2+ / 0-)
                          raspberryberet, AoT

I said you'd only worry about your friends recording you...

I think my friends and family vs. the NSA is a very stark difference.

My friends and family are around me all the time. They know if I'm saying terrible things.

The NSA doesn't know me and has no ostensible reason to try and record anything I've said. Not that that stops them, as far as I know.

If the recording is illegal in CA, then so be it. It wouldn't be illegal where I live. So I still don't see it as a moral issue the way Jabbar intends to portray it. But if she can be charged with a crime, then I don't know why she wouldn't be.

by LibrErica on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 12:27:05 PM PDT

•  I don't find it a moral issue either (0+ / 0-)

to be clear. I'm glad she released this.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 04:25:03 PM PDT

•  I'm not 100% sure she did. (1+ / 0-)
                            AoT

The recordings she's alleged were not released by her. I haven't heard an update to that as yet though so maybe she's backpedalled.

I hadn't heard about his past comments so Kareem is a bit off the mark, it might have been widely known but it wasn't universally known, my cousin is a fan of the NBA and played ball himself till he shattered his knee and hadn't heard about Sterling in the past beyond his ownership of the team.

I wish I had stocks in aluminium these days. All that foil would be a great investment opportunity.

by Ceri Cat on Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 01:12:23 AM PDT

•  So it is OK (0+ / 0-)

for someone to record personal conversations without the other persons knowledge or consent and release it to the world?

Maybe we can cut the deficit if the NSA starts selling the private conversations of celebs to the media.   Oh, I forgot, they just have the metadata, yeah right.

•  According to TMZ... (3+ / 0-)
                          pasadena beggar, LibrErica, AoT

... Sterling knew he was being recorded at the time he made the comments.

by Hey338Too on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 12:35:57 PM PDT

•  "You only have true privacy if you keep your vile (6+ / 0-)

thoughts to yourself."

As a practical matter, maybe. But the fact of the matter is that people should have the right to not be surreptitiously recorded and then have their statements released to the public. I don't know if that's the case here, but in general we have a right to privacy and that's important to protect whether it's protecting it from the government violating it or if it's individuals violating it.

The fact that it's possible for that privacy to be violated is exactly why the right to privacy is a right. If it couldn't be violated then there'd be no point to having a right to it.

All that said, given that I don't know the specifics of this situation I can't make any sort of claims as to what the girlfriends may or may not have done wrong. And I think that blaming her is primarily done to distract from the real issue.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 10:33:16 AM PDT

•  I met KA-J (2+ / 0-)
                    Exquisite, raspberryberet

years ago and he is one misogynistic bastard.  So that doesn't surprise me.  He hates women.

There was no reason to fear abuse of such mildness, because it sprang not from weakness, but from a higher clarity.

by Sally Foster on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 11:59:55 AM PDT

•  So I assume then (0+ / 0-)

that you are cool with the whole NSA thing, with private companies tracking everything you do on the web and selling it and all your private info to anyone with the interest and money, and you don't care if your friends and family expose everything from your personal bathroom habits to how you really feel about your acquaintances to everyone who has an internet connection.

Privacy is so 20th century.

•  I think Kareem's got a point about the depravity (5+ / 0-)
                  Jay C, Matt Z, Fury, Hey338Too, Gwennedd

of our culture which validates her extortion/revenge, whatever you want to call it. But I agree that he's the real bad apple As Kareem points out, we've known this for a long time. He should  have been ashamed to show his face years ago.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 11:19:16 AM PDT

•  Didn't Know (2+ / 0-)
                    novapsyche, Gwennedd

I,for one, knew nothing about this pig before Kos and TMZ.  We don't all live on the West Coast, and we're not all basketball fans.  I appreciate anyone who exposes a bigot and mobilizes a response. Privacy issues can be problematic. THAT I have to admit, but I don't think I'm going to torture myself over this one.

•  Not that it really matters but (0+ / 0-)

Maybe she did it because I read she was half black I don't remember what the other half was. But it's even stranger for him to get upset his half black girlfriend was hanging out with blacks. But who said racist thought things through. So maybe she was on her way out the door and wanted to toss him a get even gift on her way out the door.

•  Not that his girlfriend's motivations (1+ / 0-)
                Lost and Found

matter, at this point.  I'm not sure why we should care about that, unless you're going to allege the tape is faked.  And he admitted it was him on the tape, so...

•  I wonder... (11+ / 0-)

...

Its almost too horrible to contemplate, but...

The question has come up: If he's this racist, why did he buy an NBA franchise in the first place, where 80% of the players are African-American?

The horrid thought I had: Being an NBA owner lets him, for lack of a better term, buy and sell black people. (contracts, trades, etc)

We have no desire to offend you -- unless you are a twit!

by ScrewySquirrel on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 10:32:19 AM PDT

•  I think you've articulated beautifully (2+ / 0-)
                Exquisite, raspberryberet

just what Sterlings motivation for buying a team in the first place.  Just like Kareem's piece says, we are only 'outraged' with these bigots let out their spew for all to hear - if we don't hear it, we don't really pay any attention to it.

I agree with Kareem.  I do not feel sorry for the girlfriend - she too was an adulterer here, she was willing to date this idiot knowing pretty much full well what he is, and when things get ugly she gets him on tape.  I'm glad she did - he does indeed need to be exposed, as do all the other closeted bigots out there 'owning' these 'teams'.  And we're all outraged over our own NSA, but feel what she did is right?

The racism is just under the surface, and other owners may very well feel the same way - they just haven't been taped by their mistresses spewing their toxin.  And with our sickness in Idiot America, one, or both of them, will probably end up with a book deal.  She may be able to do Dancing with the Stars, I don't see him managing that, but one never knows.

•  I would disagree - I think it's about the MONEY (1+ / 0-)
                  gffish

he could make, or possibly the prestige that team  ownership could bring, and probably LESS about the buying and selling or control over persons...

but that's just a guess, based on human nature

America's LAST HOPE: vote the GOP OUT in 2014 elections. MAKE them LOSE the House Majority and reduce their numbers in the Senate. Democrats move America forward - Republicans take us backward and are KILLING OUR NATION!

by dagnome on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 11:55:04 AM PDT

•  He wanted to hang with celebs (0+ / 0-)

and be on the news.   Otherwise, as has been said, he is just another d-bag slumlord.   What good is money if you can't flaunt it in people's faces, to that way of thinking.

But what you say does make sense as well, especially if the rumors are true that he didn't like having white players on the team.

•  "He's not accused of a crime here" (13+ / 0-)

That doesn't seem to be true.

Practicing racial discrimination as a landlord or employer is a crime.  It's a crime with specific victims, and if the civil damages are settled, it isn't often prosecuted.

You can say he wasn't convicted of a crime. But he certainly seems to stand accused of several.

•  But this isn't about the housing discrimination (6+ / 0-)

That was in the past. That's part of the problem here, when he committed an actual crime it wasn't a big issue, but when he says this suddenly he's the worst person in the world.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 08:21:54 AM PDT

•  The difference... (7+ / 0-)

between this and his past racism is that this is in the open.  The audience paying attention to it is far more broad.  Before, it was in capacity as a private citizen (not that that condoned his behavior in any way), but as the owner of one of the better teams in one of the largest media markets in a league that values appearances of reasonableness, it endangers the value of the NBA.  It puts into jeopardy the marketability of two of the most marked players in the NBA (Paul and Griffin) of course there is the idea that sponsors can still support Paul and Griffin without supporting the Clippers franchise, but I'd be willing to bet that some businesses will suspend their deals with them as well to further distance themselves from Sterling and his hateful remarks.

And personally, I have been one of the people that thought he should have lost this team years ago.  Not only is he a well documented racist, he was also one of the worst owners in the league for decades.

by cardboardurinal on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 09:09:00 AM PDT

•  Housing discrimination is far, far worse (7+ / 0-)

than saying some racist thing or another. Sure, the words are bad, but the idea that they're even remotely as bad as the actions he's taken is absurd.

I'm more critical of the media than any people here. The fact that the media considers this more of a story than his actions is absurd.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 09:11:47 AM PDT

•  I never said that it wasn't... (3+ / 0-)
                  AoT, gustynpip, Hey338Too

worse, I am simply saying that this is more open.  That is why there is outrage here.  Everyday people screw other people, but until they do, or say, something that gets a wide audience, the outrage is muted.

by cardboardurinal on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 09:14:12 AM PDT

•  And I think that does us little good (1+ / 0-)
                    lizzyh7

It means that the worst racists get a pass because they're quiet about it and say the right things. It means that the worst of the racism gets a pass.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 09:19:57 AM PDT

•  Unfortunately... (2+ / 0-)
                      AoT, raspberryberet

that is the reality in which we live.  Remember, poor people don't have a soap box in which to speak about their grievances.  When you attack a rich person, it will get attention.

by cardboardurinal on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 09:43:28 AM PDT

•  Focusing on language distracts us from the real (2+ / 0-)
                        cardboardurinal, Hey338Too

task. Attacking rich people for what they say means that rich people will say the right things and keep doing the same racist stuff at the same time. We need to work on changing that and not just rushing from one racist outburst to the next. Especially here at dailykos. If any place should do better it's here.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 10:27:32 AM PDT

•  Times and attitudes change. (3+ / 0-)
              AoT, Hey338Too, gffish

And you're forgetting that technology--social media--Facebook and Twitter MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE between how we elected to respond to Sterling then, and how we elect to respond to him now.

In this regard, both the points that Jabbar is making are both true and irrelevant.

•  AoT, I look at it a little differently... (0+ / 0-)

... It is now impossible to determine whether Sterling's actions are being made in the best interest of the team and the league or to further his "world view".  If you're a team owner, like Michael Jordan, how can you sit across a table from this guy and think that he has your best interests at heart?  He apparently has ulterior motives - clearly expressed - that associating with minorities is something to be avoided.

by Hey338Too on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 11:21:35 AM PDT

•  "Best interests" is a highly subjective phrase (1+ / 0-)
                Hey338Too

I'm sure this asshole thinks that he's doing what's in the team's best interests. I certainly think he's a shitty dude and should get kicked out of owning a team, but he should have been kicked out well before now.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 11:25:43 AM PDT

•  I think we'd have to read both the NBA (2+ / 0-)
          caul, Hey338Too

Constitution and the franchising agreements to know exactly what personal property Sterling owns.
          My guess would be that allowing (forcing) him to sell the franchise as opposed to simply dissolving it would be the most practical solution for all involved.

Our government is not yet small enough to drown in a bathtub. That doesn't mean it can't be waterboarded.

by furrfu on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 03:52:24 AM PDT

•  He should be forced to sell it at a distress sale (3+ / 0-)
            caul, gustynpip, sacrelicious

to a minority-controlled buyer.

Like what happens in an FCC distress sale.

•  Quite the Opposite - NBA the Motivated Buyer (1+ / 0-)
              Hey338Too

The NBA is a motivated buyer, and is probably actively taking part in the formation of bidding groups.

Sterling is a reluctant seller.  Forbes has the Clippers posting 85M a year in operating profit.  Let's assume that it will decrease to an operating loss of 20M a year, due to sponsorship losses.

He's worth 2B.  He can certainly weather 20M a year in operating losses for the foreseeable future.

The steady-state value of the Clippers, per Forbes, is 750M.  I'd argue that the NBA would have to offer him anywhere from 950M to 1B for him to part company.

Learn about Centrist Economics, learn about Robert Rubin's Hamilton Project. www.hamiltonproject.org

by PatriciaVa on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 09:59:43 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I don't care (9+ / 0-)

The legal entanglements that turn 30 franchises into a league are no doubt complicated, but at the end of the day, the arrangement is basically a partnership between those 30 owners.  There's nothing novel or unprecedented about buying out a partner who has become a liability for the group.  Heck, it almost happened on Mad Men last weekend.

And as far as the ex goes, I really don't begrudge her anything.  She busted a bad guy saying bad things that he meant.  It's not like she told him she needed help rehearsing a play and gave him a script.

•  Keep it alive through the election (0+ / 0-)

I'd love to see this dragged out long enough to impact the next election.  I'd love for every Republican campaigning to be asked what he (or she) thought about this suit.

Warren/Grayson 2016! Yes We Can!

by BenFranklin99 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 02:35:33 PM PDT

•  The precedent was more due to the owner's (4+ / 0-)

financial problems.  So it's not yet applicable in this case.  There is clearly a "sell option" in the owners' agreement in a case when one of their own has financial problems.  This is a different case.

•  He is a franchise owner... (1+ / 0-)
          Hey338Too

I am pretty sure that the NBA, and the other franchise owners, can force him to sell if he becomes a liability.

by cardboardurinal on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 09:10:20 AM PDT

•  No Antitrust Exemption (0+ / 0-)

They can in MLB.

Last weekend I thought the same.

But b/c the NBA does not have an antitrust exemption, they can't.

And making all the Clipper players free-agents would be collusion.

by PatriciaVa on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 10:01:15 AM PDT

•  Apparently, the by laws (1+ / 0-)
        Hey338Too

specify with particularity that the league has the power to do this for financial losses or mismanagement, like the Cavaliers in the 1970s, or fixing games, but there is also a best interest of the league provision that seems to allow for indefinite suspension or other ways to make Sterling's ownership experience miserable.  In the New Orleans situation, they also had a willing seller.

Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult.

by Loge on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 08:12:20 AM PDT

•  It is simple. Don't schedule games (0+ / 0-)

until he sales.  No games gives an incentive to sale.

•  there has to be something in the (1+ / 0-)
            AoT

by-laws they can at least plausibly point to, or else it's arguably a violation of antitrust law.  Not scheduling games against the Clippers might look like a group boycott.  Sometimes sports leagues are 30 or so constituent members, other times they are single entities, and whether or not the owners have delegated power to the league is informative on whether they are a single entity, but not by itself conclusive.

This raises one idea, which is what are the reps and warranties in the Clippers' lease with the staples center.  What happens if the Clippers don't have a place to play?  (I mean, besides Seattle.)

Fines and suspensions are pretty much the league's main options.  I see an argument that allows termination of ownership with a 3/4 vote, but it's not clear the other owners would agree this is a "contractual" violation or relates to the running of the franchise.  It all gets into a big, three way game of chicken between the league, commish, and Sterling.  My guess is the other owners would be wary of NOT voting to terminate Sterling, and since the immediate comments dealt with attendance at Clippers games, there's enough of a connection they can vote to terminate, but Silver would understandably rather suspend indefinitely pending sale, and Sterling might rather take that versus being forced out.

Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult.

by Loge on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 10:30:46 AM PDT

•  The team could buy itself. (3+ / 0-)
        AoT, Hey338Too, Words In Action

The players form a co-op. Put in some of their own money, get a loan, and buy their own team. I would like to see that happen. These blue haired investors owning teams for their own egos is disgusting.

A true craftsman will meticulously construct the apparatus of his own demise.

by onionjim on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 09:26:19 AM PDT

•  I don't know how the NBA... (2+ / 0-)
          AoT, Hey338Too

...would handle this, but the NFL wrote into their bylaws an absolute ban on collective ownership. The Green Bay Packers are the only NFL team with a large number of owners, all other teams are capped at a pretty small number (I think fewer than a dozen).

I suspect all the other pro sports leagues (in America) followed suit.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood." - Tom Robbins - Political Compass sez: -8.25, -7.90

by ARS on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 09:43:50 AM PDT

•  Players and fans. (1+ / 0-)
          onionjim

Works for the Packers. Very well.

I've never left a blank space on a ballot... but I will not vote for someone [who vows] to spy on me. I will not do it. - dclawyer06

Trust, but verify. - Reagan
          Vote, but Occupy. - commonmass

by Words In Action on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 03:37:22 PM PDT

•  This is exactly what needs to happen here. n/t (0+ / 0-)

The Stars and Bars and the red swastika banner are both offerings to the same barbaric god.

by amyzex on Tue Apr 29, 2014 at 01:47:38 PM PDT

•  Kareem is right. (1+ / 0-)
      churchylafemme

Though I have lived in LA for years, I have not been a renter. That said, had I been an apartment renter I might have known more about Sterling than I did.

Regardless, Kareem is right. Clearly Sterling's racist attitude has been known for decades. Which begs the question. Why has LA allowed this man to buy properties in Los Angeles? If that can't be prevented, why hasn't LA come down and come down hard, on a man who clearly feels that black and brown people are bad for his buildings? The law is clear in this town. Discrimination comes with penalties. Where were the penalties?