View Diary: Colorado legislative committee to PTSD veterans: No cannabis treatment for you (55 comments)

•  I believe that we should approach this from (9+ / 0-)

another direction. The strains of cannabis that seem to have the most medically beneficial effects have higher CBD to THC ratio strains which do not produce much of a THC high. We need to divorce marijuana or pot used recreationally from the medically beneficial strains of cannabis plants that have higher concentrations of CBD.

It is just plain stupid to continue to allow the prohibitionist to frame the entire debate around the medical benefits of herbal cannabis by using the stereotypes created around the mythology of marijuana. Why can't we just stop agreeing with their rhetoric and instead argue about the real medicinal value of the actual cannabinoid drugs produced by the resin glands of cannabis plants.

There is actually quite a bit of scientific study done on cannabinoid drugs, mostly offshore, that could be used to persuade lawmakers if and only if we stop trying allowing the prohibitionist to control the language of the discussion. Herbal cannabis and industrial hemp are not marijuana and we need to stop agreeing with the prohibitionists that they are. Please just stop calling herbal cannabis medical marijuana! The drugs produced by the cannabis plants are called cannabinoids.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My words but a whisper -- your deafness a SHOUT. I may make you feel but I can't make you think..Jethro Tull

by RMForbes on Thu May 01, 2014 at 01:53:55 PM PDT

•  You know, of course, how utterly unwilling... (13+ / 0-)

...politicians are to accept scientific studies that weren't done here. We knew about radiation poisoning of uranium miners from Czech studies in the 1930s, but didn't do anything about it until the 1960s.

by Meteor Blades on Thu May 01, 2014 at 01:58:48 PM PDT

•  Some people that don't get relief from opioids do (4+ / 0-)

not get the cbd benefit either.

•  I understand the politics of bifurcating ... (6+ / 0-)

cannabis into 'medical' and 'recreational' uses, but I hate the term 'recreational'. Why is it anyone's business as to WHY someone would be a consumer of cannabis? Is the paternal hand of government going to dictate HOW one consumes their 'recreational' cannabis next?
      Are we asked at the purchase counter we are using this bottle of scotch for 'recreational' purposes?? NO! No one gives a shit.

Some days it just makes more sense to climb out of the window when I leave my house.

by glb3 on Thu May 01, 2014 at 03:46:06 PM PDT

•  I agree but that's not my point (4+ / 0-)

Marijuana is no more a drug than herbal tea. The drugs produced by the resin glands located primarily in the female flowers of cannabis plants are called cannabinoids and we should be focused upon these actual drugs when we are discussing the medicinal effects and benefits.

When we look at it like we would every other herbal drug there would be little or no purely recreational use because cannabinoids effectively treats insomnia caused by the stress of modern life. Most if not all cannabis use could be considered in reality medicinal. However, I would agree that most so called "stoners" would not think they are using herbal cannabis medicinally even if they very likely are. The problem we have came out of the stereotypes created by the mythology of marijuana. It's time to undo this rhetoric.

by RMForbes on Thu May 01, 2014 at 04:05:05 PM PDT

•  Food in general could be classified as medicinal. (1+ / 0-)
          oldpotsmuggler

It keeps us alive, and the vitamins and minerals have a beneficial reaction with our bodies.

by glb3 on Thu May 01, 2014 at 04:11:04 PM PDT

•  True, but on the other hand food could become (3+ / 0-)

poison if too much is consumed too fast. Many healthy vegetables become toxic very quickly if they are not consumed in moderation. That is not true of cannabinoids. The herbal cannabinoids found in cannabis resins are some of the most therapeutic and least toxic substances known.

by RMForbes on Thu May 01, 2014 at 04:22:18 PM PDT

•  I'm confused. (1+ / 0-)
              oldpotsmuggler

Beyond my interest in discovering those toxic vegetables you refer to, I'm not sure if you are a supporter of legalizing cannabis, as I am.

by glb3 on Thu May 01, 2014 at 05:00:39 PM PDT

•  No true Scotsman would... (3+ / 0-)
                RMForbes, Santa Susanna Kid, grover

How about agree to disagree about who is the greatest supporter of cannabis. With that done let's work to make cannabis products more acceptable from a medical and recreational standpoint.

•  Many common vegetables produce small amounts (1+ / 0-)
                Santa Susanna Kid

of natural pesticide toxins which become toxic to us if we eat more than our body's can detoxify. That is not true of cannabis or cannabinoid drugs.

Come on, you know very well that I'm a huge advocate to end the ridiculous prohibition against all the more than 50,000 uses of the cannabis genus of plants. I nearly died circulating the CCHI2014 petition to legalize cannabis completely in California. All you have to do is click on my name to look at my history here.

by RMForbes on Thu May 01, 2014 at 06:35:17 PM PDT

•  How about air? (1+ / 0-)
          oldpotsmuggler

"the northern lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see was the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge when I cremated Sam McGee" - Robert Service, Bard of the Yukon

by Joe Jackson on Thu May 01, 2014 at 04:56:16 PM PDT

•  correction ... (2+ / 0-)
        oldpotsmuggler, weezilgirl

...counter whether we...

by glb3 on Thu May 01, 2014 at 04:07:12 PM PDT

•  I see your point, but... (2+ / 0-)
        oldpotsmuggler, RMForbes

I see it more as being asked about whether that diazepam you've been prescribed as being for medical or recreational purposes. In the US, naproxen used to be only available with a prescription, now it is available OTC as Aleve. It will take time for me to accept cannabis for recreational purposes, I would like to see this associated with better QA/QC than currently exists.

•  As a "green card" holder in Wa State (3+ / 0-)

Washington State is trying to work out the logistics of regulating medical and non-medical uses of marijuana. As I understand it, the concern is that the State of Washington is leaning toward putting both under one regulatory umbrella. The problem is that medical is different than non-medical marijuana and to put them all in the same category really devalues the very real medical uses of the drug.

I was prescribed -- and used -- medical marijuana to counter side effects of chemotherapy. I used more than one form of the drug -- one kind to help me sleep and another to help me keep nausea down and allow me to work during the day. In reality, MM allowed me to stop taking some very powerful pharmaceuticals, which is of course why the pharmaceutical industry opposes MM so much.

In essence, I think there is a really meaningful reason for the bifurcation and it is something that policy makers need to keep in mind when states legalize marijuana for both medical and recreational uses.

•  Yes, exactly (3+ / 0-)
      oldpotsmuggler, RMForbes, grover

My son has a form of epilepsy classified as Lennox-Gestaut Syndrome (LGS) and is being put on the list for a trial with the GWPharma CBD. Your comment is spot-on. The recreational angle is interfering with the potential medical benefits of cannabis extracts. As a chemist I have become very frustrated with those who are only after the THC and not understanding the extraordinary benefits that CBD could provide. In the diaries context, it would be interesting if there was a study that can show PTSD resulting from some form of inflammation that CBD might be able to address.

• Recommended (171)
  • Education (26)
  • Environment (25)
  • Politics (23)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Economy (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site