View Diary: Anti-Capitalist Meetup: For May Day ... Capitalism, Charity, Food Banks and Workers' Rights ... (34 comments)

•  his (4+ / 0-)

is not a LTV analysis as far as I can tell from his other articles - he's just following the data more along the lines of Annales methodologies http://piketty.pse.ens.fr/...

Warning - some snark may be above‽ (-9.50; -7.03)‽ eState4Column5©2013 "I’m not the strapping young Muslim socialist that I used to be" - Barack Obama 04/27/2013 (@eState4Column5).

by annieli on Sun May 04, 2014 at 05:43:27 PM PDT

•  thanks Annieli! (3+ / 0-)
      annieli, Galtisalie, lehman scott

that is what I had inferred from some of the discussion; my husband is getting the book on Kindle as he knows my data fetishism ... :)

"Hegel noticed somewhere that all great world history facts and people so to speak twice occur. He forgot to add: the one time as tragedy, the other time as farce" Karl Marx, The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte .

by NY brit expat on Sun May 04, 2014 at 06:25:42 PM PDT

•  Que es "LTV" analysis? Nt. (3+ / 0-)
      annieli, NY brit expat, lehman scott

garden variety democratic socialist: accepting life's complexity|striving for global stewardship of our soil and other resources to meet everyone's basic needs|being a friend to the weak

by Galtisalie on Sun May 04, 2014 at 07:45:12 PM PDT

•  The labor theories of value (LTV) (4+ / 0-)
        The labor theories of value (LTV) are heterodox economic theories of value that argue the value of a commodity is only related to the labor needed to produce or obtain that commodity and not to other factors of production (except as those elements can be regarded as embodied labour.) Presently the concept is most often associated with Marxian economics, although it appears as a foundation to earlier classical economic theorists such as Adam Smith and David Ricardo and later also in anarchist economics.

by annieli on Sun May 04, 2014 at 08:16:47 PM PDT

•  It refers to a traditional Marxist (2+ / 0-)
        Galtisalie, annieli

economic analysis of the capitalist system using the labour theory of value (as articulated by Marx, rather than earlier versions) to explain what underlies price determination as well as an understanding of exploitation in the capitalist economic system.

In Volume I of Capital, Marx begins the analysis by putting forward his criticisms of earlier theories of value (use of concrete rather than abstract labour) and then derives the argument forwards ... Chapter one of volume one of Capital is a wonderful read; not easy, but beautifully argued and developed.

by NY brit expat on Mon May 05, 2014 at 05:03:12 AM PDT

•  Thanks! (2+ / 0-)
          NY brit expat, annieli

I know the wonderful theory generally and accept it to the extent I understand it on fairness grounds as a great guide to what is being stolen from the worker. Just didn't know the acronym. I looked up the other word I didn't know annieli used on the google but thought I'd ask on the acronym since it didn't immediately explain itself to my brain. I'm not good with acronyms and names, but with your encouragement I will finally read all of Vol. I. I've only read bits and summaries.

by Galtisalie on Mon May 05, 2014 at 06:04:05 AM PDT

• Law (25)
  • Science (25)
  • Congress (24)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Labor (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site