View Diary: Music Teacher Fired Because Of ELA/Math Test Scores (132 comments)

•  It's my job too. (0+ / 0-)

And you seem to be speaking from a position of  willful ignorance. Hey, did you find another source for this story? The school district? The teacher? I see you got the state wrong. But why should details matter, if it advances your agenda?

•  I have my elementary students write music, (0+ / 0-)

not essays.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Tue May 06, 2014 at 01:20:06 PM PDT

•  Are you responding to the correct comment? NT (0+ / 0-)
        •  I'm replying to your insinuation of my ignorance. (0+ / 0-)

by zenbassoon on Tue May 06, 2014 at 01:32:57 PM PDT

•  Here's what I find ignorant. (0+ / 0-)

1. You don't know how writing supports music theory. Yet you must have written about theory in college if you have a music degree.

2. You don't know how writing can help ensembles. Okay. Do you ever go to conferences on music ed, or Pinterest about music ed, or talk with colleagues? It's just weird that you can't conceive of or have heard of a pretty damn important topic in music ed right now. I kind of think you have to work hard to not know about that.

3. You don't know if this story is true - you're relying on a crappy blog that doesn't cite district teacher or parent by name. And that's somehow okay.

But what do I know? Masters degree, twenty years in the profession, co-principal of a decent regional orchestra, published composer of student repertoire. What could I possibly know about music ed? You just assume that writing in music class means essays at the Elementary level. But it doesn't, and when you build these weird straw man arguments, it looks like you just don't know the subject.

•  Excuse the fuck what? (1+ / 0-)
              radical simplicity

Forgive me for not drinking the Common Core Kool-Aid, but I NEVER wrote essays while studying music theory. And second, even if you have your students write once a week, YOU ARE NOT AN ELA TEACHER AND SHOULD NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR HOW THEY DO ON A TEST. And you should be DAMNED OUTRAGED that YOUR JOB is based on it.

There are still progressive educators in the mold of John Dewey still teaching. You know, the kind that believe that you learn more by DOING than by lectures or writing.

by zenbassoon on Tue May 06, 2014 at 02:10:49 PM PDT

•  No shades of grey? (0+ / 0-)

So it's either do OR write huh? BTW, Dewey's great, but I take more to Freire. So you might have the wrong idea about where I'm coming from.

I'm actually totally surprised about no writing in music theory. Thanks , I learned something. That was totally not my experience. I think we both did our schooling before common core , too, so I'm not sure my profs drank the Koolaid.

•  When I taught high school choir and band, (2+ / 0-)
      Cassandra Waites, denise b

I received a poor evaluation based on the fact that the students didn't write "essays" like English students did. Their literacy/writing was inherent in the music itself.

And the principal didn't count critiques. He was looking for English class type essays.

I don't know about you, but an elementary music class is supposed to be about DOING, not writing.

by zenbassoon on Tue May 06, 2014 at 01:27:49 PM PDT

•  I don't know why I'm trying to tell you anything (0+ / 0-)

But some writing is good for ensembles. Reflective writing. Responses to prompts. Evaluating recorded performances. Setting goals. My kids don't write every day - but they do write every month.

•  You haven't read any of my comments-- (1+ / 0-)
          radical simplicity

I've said that there is stuff built in. There is no need for special writing stuff.

I should HR you for the continual insults. I REFUSE to be tied to a writing or math test score and will fight it until I die. I teach musicianship, not ELA. I will get you to sing or play a phrase so that everything you're feeling about the love you lost will be communicated to the audience and they will share your pain and grief.

You can't write that.

And what a waste it is, taking all the creativity away from elementary students by making them write about music instead of creating their own music. Elementary music is supposed to be about DOING, not writing.

by zenbassoon on Tue May 06, 2014 at 01:52:15 PM PDT

•  Oh I've read them. (0+ / 0-)

I'm not sure I understand the difference between built in and special writing stuff - but I'm trying man, I'm trying. I just see you going to extremes and can't really follow how you get there. I'm also assuming that you want to talk about it because you post diaries and comment music ed pretty regularly. HR if that's what makes you feel good.

•  Built in--cultural research. You teach your (2+ / 0-)

6th graders a song from China. They don't have to write an essay about it, there are so many more activities in the music class they can do to get all that information and to learn all that information.

And yes, the "old" standards did have writing built in. And if I'm teaching history/appreciation, there's writing there. And I do have such units in my elementary classes.

But in performing, you don't have to write essays. The writing is in the performance. You have your string orchestra play "Five Variants on Dives and Lazarus" the way it should be played, and all the writing and comprehension you're looking for is in that performance. Because that's what they've just communicated to you.

But the full name of the standards are the LITERACY standards. And literacy is more than writing. In music, the literacy is in the DOING.

by zenbassoon on Tue May 06, 2014 at 02:20:49 PM PDT

•  You're stuck on essay. (0+ / 0-)

There are more types of writing.  And there are lots of ways of knowing beyond performance that can enhance the performance. Teaching through performance in music is a great series of books, as is CMP as a general tool. You may find your ensembles perform at a higher level when they have a wider variety of experiences in rehearsal.

•  Elementary as in "basic" I assume? (1+ / 0-)
        reenactor

You indicate it was HS. Why is it such anathema to you for HS students to periodically have to write a paper about some topic relative to the music they are learning? I certainly sense your frustration with the notion. And I know teachers who are not in the so highly touted STEM subjects get no respect these days - are even seeing their subject areas slashed from many schools. But there are positives to be had from the kind of cross-pollination between subject silos that is being proposed. Done well it should be an exciting opportunity for teacher creativity.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Tue May 06, 2014 at 02:01:21 PM PDT

•  Elementary as in PreK-8 (1+ / 0-)
          radical simplicity

by zenbassoon on Tue May 06, 2014 at 02:02:04 PM PDT

•  The source of my confusion (0+ / 0-)
            When I taught high school choir and band, (0+ / 0-)
            But I think even the 4th grade up could be expected to do a paragraph or two now and then.

You haven't answered my main question, though.

by Catte Nappe on Tue May 06, 2014 at 02:10:45 PM PDT

•  The writing is in the performing. (0+ / 0-)

by zenbassoon on Tue May 06, 2014 at 02:13:11 PM PDT