View Diary: Republican Senate candidate Tillis: Republicans have to 'divide and conquer' the poor (169 comments)

•  F*ck the people who vote for him (22+ / 0-)

I voted today because it is my right, my responsibility and because my parents moved from Alabama to Ohio to vote. Unfortunately, the republicons want to turn Ohio into Alabama.

by a2nite on Tue May 06, 2014 at 02:31:22 PM PDT

•  That's a lot of low information and low income NC (20+ / 0-)

residents that don't know any better.  Many will always vote against their own interests 10 out of 10 times.

Sad.

“My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there." - Rumi

by LamontCranston on Tue May 06, 2014 at 03:01:15 PM PDT

•  This whole "Welfare Crisis" is a RED HERRING (28+ / 0-)

Only FOUR PERCENT of the population is on Welfare. There are work and/or school requirements. You can't be on it for more than FIVE YEARS FOR A LIFETIME. And you can't tell me that all those people on it somehow "decided to get a condition" Meaning single mothers. We have the long-term unemployed through no fault of their own and the government have cut off unemployment insurance. So where are people with families going to go to for help? WELFARE. There are so many stupid rumors going around like some guy told me that they get a free "package" of benefits that includes clothes and free cable or satellite TV! And I keep seeing a thumbnail for a website showing a fat lazy welfare mom smoking a cigarette and drinking wine. I went there to make a comment but of course I couldn't make any. They spread their lies and there isn't even any way to respond!

In the rebuttal to Obama's speech in January I think it was Paul Ryan who responded. He told a story about a welfare mom who got free childcare so she lounged on the beach. Then she realized she was doing something wrong and begged the government to take her off Welfare.

It had to be a complete lie because there are only TWO reasons why a woman would get free childcare. If she were going to school or transitioning to the workforce.

I am so disgusted with the lies of the T-Pubs and the way they have demonized the poor. I am disabled but according to them I am a "leech" I don't live the high life and it isn't like a damn vacation! I get $1000 a month and I am grateful for getting it but if anyone thinks that I enjoy being poor and not having a productive life then they are crazy! In fact I suffer from depression as well because I can't work. I am in constant pain and exhaustion and I would get fired the first day if I got a job because no one wants someone who can't keep up with the work!

The Republican party is pure evil. It didn't used to be but now it is totally currupted. And yet they still pull the wool over people's eyes. I have family members that are staunch Republicans because you know, they are the "Christian" party!

If billionaires can afford to spend millions of dollars so that they can avoid paying taxes and fair wages, then they *can afford* to pay taxes and fair wages!

by Pixie5 on Tue May 06, 2014 at 07:00:13 PM PDT

•  Same here. My sister voted for Bush because (11+ / 0-)

he was  "born-again" christian.

If I wasn't Bob Dylan, I'd probably think that Bob Dylan has a lot of answers myself. Bob Dylan

by weezilgirl on Tue May 06, 2014 at 08:44:19 PM PDT

•  "My sister voted fo Bush because....." (2+ / 0-)
          indres, Pixie5

Well, my sister voted for Bush because she believed him when he claimed to be a Christian AND because he said "God said he should be president" OMG!! Anyone else have crazy, lunatic siblings.  I think being married to a Southern Baptist preacher made her Looney. When asked, what they will  do if they lose their Social Security,Medicare, etc.,my sister and the other t-party religious fanatics say,"I just pray and leave it in the Lord's hands,he will provide."
          These people,including my sister scare the heck out of me.
          If prayer is the answer then I pray they forget to go and vote in both the primary and general elections.

•  God helps those who help themselves (0+ / 0-)

in this case helping onself is making sure that we can keep Social Security and Medicare.

by Pixie5 on Thu May 08, 2014 at 12:59:31 AM PDT

•  When Welfare Reform first came about, I was (10+ / 0-)

working in a program where I was counseling and teaching job skills and life skills to single mothers. At that time, they had to be in class or working 20 hours a week. But in the early 2000s, that changed to 30 hours per week.

With welfare reform, there is no one sitting around on welfare. They have to be in job training or a strict job search program, or working for their welfare in some capacity. The only exceptions are mothers with infants, those waiting to hear about their disablity claims and who cannot work due to poor health and senior citizens on food stamps and receiving social security.

But there is no such thing as freebies for those on assistance. There is a very strictly monitored job search program and/or job training requirement. And if a person drops out or gets kick out of the job training or job search programs, they become instantly ineligible for welfare benefits of any kind.

There are no freebies except a tiny bit of energy assistance if a person qualifies financially but most receiving fuel assistance are working part time or they are senior citizens over 7o having trouble paying their expensive heating bills.

Yes there is an emergency phone program for those who qualify but one has to choose between a landline or cell phone and they get very few minutes each month and if they chose landline, no long distance , just the bare basics for both programs.

Keystone Liberals on Twitter @ KeystoneLibs , Join PA Liberals at http://keystoneliberalsforum.aimoo.com/

by wishingwell on Wed May 07, 2014 at 08:00:18 AM PDT

•  One of the Worst Frauds in American History (1+ / 0-)
          wishingwell

is the demonization of the poor. Thank you for more details on the programs with welfare. Yes the whole "ObamaPhone" crap pisses me off. That has been around a long time before Obama. They just added cell phones to the program. Phone service is a necessity, especially for the elderly or disabled that live alone. An elderly person could die if he can't call 911.

Part of what this strategy has accomplished is that ordinary help that no one objected to before is now a cause for people to get into screaming matches. Not too many people in the past objected to programs to help the poor with utilities.

I have had it pointed out that you can get cell phones cheaply and buy cheap minutes, but it is not as cheap as the Lifeline program you are talking about. If you are not poor then you might not get that it can be the choice of paying for minutes or eating a few meals. Many years back I had elderly nieghbors and often when there was a birthday for one of them, they would go to the store and one would pick out a card to give to the other. The other would look at the card and then put it back. The "gift' was the message in the card, but they were so poor that they did not buy one.

Even I have never been that poor since my father can help with some expenses. It is a scary prospect.

My father is a Repub but even he thinks that they have gone too far in some areas. When he was growing up in a poor area of West Virginia they had a TB outbreak. He lost his mother to it and his father was sick for a long time, This was during the depression. If they had not been able to get public assistence my dad most likely would have been an orphan.

When times get hard it seems like what we should do is pull together as a society and help each other. Oftentimes just the opposite happens as in what is going on now. But the Republican party is 100% responsible in turning people against the poor by actually blaming the bad economy ON THE POOR.

I don't think I will ever trust that party again. What is wrong with people who don't want to make the world a better place for all of us?

by Pixie5 on Thu May 08, 2014 at 12:54:13 AM PDT

•  Cell phones were added (1+ / 0-)
            wishingwell

to the Lifeline program under GW Bush.

A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon. -Bill Clinton

by PSzymeczek on Thu May 08, 2014 at 08:09:19 AM PDT

•  Thanks for pointing that out. (0+ / 0-)

Once again Repubs rewrite history to suit them.

by Pixie5 on Fri May 09, 2014 at 03:20:54 PM PDT

• Recommended (138)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Culture (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Media (23)
  • Law (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Memorial Day (18)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Republicans (16)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site