View Diary: There's never been a better time to buy a Mazerati (194 comments)

•  Argh! (32+ / 0-)

You would think Google would have caught that.

Oh, well. I'm a Rolls Royce man anyway, which I might add, also had record sales last year.

"The oppressors most powerful weapon is the mind of the oppressed." - Stephen Biko

by gjohnsit on Wed May 07, 2014 at 11:26:01 AM PDT

•  Sniff...MaSerati, BMW, Porsche, Bentley, (4+ / 0-)

and Lamborghini's are for proles.
      Excuse me, I just remote started my Maybach and it's cooled down now...

"The church of life is not in a building, it is the open sky, the surrounding ocean, the beautiful soil"...George Helm, 1/1977

by Bluefin on Wed May 07, 2014 at 04:46:40 PM PDT

•  I saw a Maybach once. (5+ / 0-)

I--and it--were on the north shore Long Island, not too far out, about 4 years ago now. The weird thing to me was not how strange it was to see a sedan with curtains in the rear windows, which was strange enough. The weird thing was how obviously expensive this car was, even though I'd never heard of a Maybach before I tried to figure out what I had seen.
        I'm still shaking my head over that kind of conspicuous consumption.
        Nothing personal, you understand.

Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Wed May 07, 2014 at 06:49:12 PM PDT

•  I've seen a couple around San Antonio, think (5+ / 0-)

I saw a dealership (shared) too.
          They have been discontinued as a marque now, multiple reasons like they entered the market at a bad time and weren't defined very well.
          But you're right, a Maybach just exudes wealth (no, I don't gots one); they are a beeootiful vehicle though.
          Base prices ranged from a mere US$344,000 to over $1mil:

The base price of a 2009 Maybach 57 was US$344,000; the Maybach 57 S, US$381,000; the Maybach 62, US$394,000; the Maybach 62 S, US$430,000, and the Maybach Landaulet semi-convertible costs just over US$1 million. The Maybach 57 Zeppelin is priced at €406,000 (US$580,000) and the 62 Zeppelin at €473,200 (US$677,000).[5]

Initially, Daimler-Chrysler predicted annual sales of 2,000 worldwide with 50 per cent coming from the United States; however, these expectations never materialized.[6][7] In 2007, Mercedes bought back 29 US dealers, reducing the total from 71 to 42.[8] In 2010, only 157 Maybachs were sold worldwide, compared to 2,711 similarly priced Rolls-Royces.[9] Just 3,000 have been sold worldwide since the marque was revived in 2002.[10]

It's one of my favorite "I'll never have one of these, dang it" vehicles (alongside an F-4, FA-18, Hallberg-Rassy 64 (drool...), etc., heheh).
          (I have a little plaque on my boat, half the size of that H-R, it says: "I wanna be a Hallberg-Rassy when I grow up!"...;]  )

by Bluefin on Wed May 07, 2014 at 08:20:37 PM PDT

•  Dude, think bigger (1+ / 0-)
            buddabelly

I want a B-1-B (and yeah I'll take the Dodge halfton but I really do want the giant fighter).

Maserati? Pfui. Ferrari, 308 -- but without Selleck, why bother?

LBJ, Van Cliburn, Ike, Wendy Davis, Lady Bird, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Wed May 07, 2014 at 09:08:34 PM PDT

•  A B-1? Ain't nothing cooler, bigger, or (3+ / 0-)
              buddabelly, Tinfoil Hat, BlackSheep1

carries more fusion than one of those Big Ugly Fat Fuckers, a B-52  ;]  . Cripes, my ex always had a crush on ol' Tom.

by Bluefin on Wed May 07, 2014 at 11:34:25 PM PDT

•  I lived on base with BUFFS too long (1+ / 0-)
                Bluefin

Bones are faster and harder to shoot down. Just sayin'.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu May 08, 2014 at 07:48:01 AM PDT

•  One unique thing about the BUFF, when I was (1+ / 0-)
                  BlackSheep1

a kid my dad took us to airshows that had B-52's. Now I'm getting to be 'old' and the B-52H is still going strong.
                  And probably will be long after I've croaked, they're supposed to stay active until 2040-60, which will make them almost 100 years old.
                  The youngest hulls are now past 50 years old (last built in 1963), which is amazing. How many 50 year old vehicles do you see on the road? A military aircraft maybe still going for fifty-plus to a hundred years is mind boggling.
                  I know they get constant 'upgrades' and retrofits, parts replaced and added, but I think the basic original airframes remain.

And they make a helluva lot of noise too; or did long ago, haven't heard or seen one for years.

by Bluefin on Thu May 08, 2014 at 03:27:23 PM PDT

•  They did and they do but not on par with (1+ / 0-)
                    Bluefin

B-1-Lancers' noise.
                    Yes, the upgrades are on going. We had "new" Buffs come to Barksdale in the 70s while I was stationed there -- kids whose dads had been B-52 aircrew were talking about the planes' longevity.

Now some of the pilots are 2nd-gen operators of the same plane. That's pretty darn hardy.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu May 08, 2014 at 04:39:24 PM PDT

•  Rolls is a better idea... (0+ / 0-)

for Amazon workers.  If you have to live in your car, you want one that's roomier than a Maserati.

No matter how cynical you become, you can never keep up.--Lily Tomlin

by MadScientist on Thu May 08, 2014 at 04:39:38 AM PDT