View Diary: Hillary Clinton IS The Forest (125 comments)

•  We have serious cause for concern. (6+ / 0-)

If the Republicans can't field someone sane--because their fringe has taken over the reins--and if the Democratic choice is pre-ordained to the extent that HRC doesn't have to make any adjustments to the populist Left in order to be the candidate and the winner, it's a worrisome prospect.  Big money, given even further license by the recent SCOTUS rulings, is now poised to be the uncontested American ruler.

One quibble about the diary: since you're writing something serious, can you dispense with "sing Kumbaya" in your intro?  That phrase, along with "Lucy and the football", "Kabuki", "want a pony" and other digs meant to disparage people who somehow fail to meet your progressive benchmarks, should be retired permanently.  We need one another if we're to force HRC to recognize and whole-heartedly embrace the anti-Corporate policies this country desperately needs.

"It ain't right, Atticus," said Jem. "No, son, it ain't right." --Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

by SottoVoce on Thu May 08, 2014 at 09:56:38 AM PDT

•  I understand your point but (6+ / 0-)

I was referencing the new co-operation between Democrats and Republicans under a Hillary candidacy and the death of partisanship,  not trying to make any digs at Progressive goals.

We do need one another. I think the entire political system has been co-opted as a tool of the 1% and it is going to become overt as opposed to covert.

“Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” FDR

by Phoebe Loosinhouse on Thu May 08, 2014 at 10:04:59 AM PDT

•  I agree with your point. (2+ / 0-)
        Phoebe Loosinhouse, CenPhx

You should be mindful, though, of the way that oft-repeated phase is used here as a cudgel to smack fellow Dems as stupid, blind followers who will eagerly accept policy--no matter how terrible--if it is put forward by the adored Obama (or HRC).  It's such a turn-off that when I saw it in the intro I almost didn't finish your worthwhile diary.

by SottoVoce on Thu May 08, 2014 at 10:14:58 AM PDT

•  I had no idea it had that connotation to some. (5+ / 0-)

I will remove Kumbaya but I will leave Buy the World a Coke.

by Phoebe Loosinhouse on Thu May 08, 2014 at 10:18:44 AM PDT

•  Thanks so much!. As someone who was a folk singer (1+ / 0-)
            Phoebe Loosinhouse

in the 1960s, and dearly loved the song "Kumbaya", which was an oft-sung closer to community folk gatherings (we called them hootenannies), it saddens me to see that same so used.

by SottoVoce on Thu May 08, 2014 at 01:15:42 PM PDT

•  I love folk music! (1+ / 0-)
              SottoVoce

I often repeat Steve Martin's (?) joke "Remember folk music? That sh*t almost caught on!"

Folk music has always been a powerful part of people's movements and I hope it remains so forever.

by Phoebe Loosinhouse on Thu May 08, 2014 at 01:22:15 PM PDT