View Diary: Which 7 Democrats Joined the GOP for the Latest #Benghazi Theatrics? (26 comments)

•  That's the nail in the coffin for Sinema (16+ / 0-)

(edit your list to include her name, it's not there)

We in her district were already fed up with her for voting with R House bills to cut/delay implementation of the ACA, this will make sure she loses all Dem support in the district. WTF good does it do to have an elected Dem when she always votes R? What will we lose? She's toast, and I'm going to be part of the local Dems who make sure everyone here knows about it.

Pistachios are like our politics - when the two sides are divided, that's when the nuts come out! - Stephen Colbert

by Fordmandalay on Thu May 08, 2014 at 04:57:00 PM PDT

•  Wait a minute! She never votes with the (2+ / 0-)
      Rosalie907, thomask

Democrats....ever???? Now tell me how many times will her opponent vote with the Democrats?  Let me make an educated guess....Never!
      Wake up and smell the coffee.

We are not powerless!! "Activism is the rent I pay for living on this planet."– Alice Walker

by nocynicism on Thu May 08, 2014 at 05:03:54 PM PDT

•  And make sure (4+ / 0-)
      Fordmandalay, CenPhx, thomask, blugrlnrdst

She knows it.  No support for any Democrat that votes with Republicons on issues like this.

Never be afraid to voice your opinion and fight for it . Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans (Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011) Voting is a louder voice than a bullhorn but sometimes you need that bullhorn to retain your vote.

by Rosalie907 on Thu May 08, 2014 at 05:47:20 PM PDT

•  Mike McIntyre is (currently) my congresscritter. (2+ / 0-)
      Fordmandalay, blugrlnrdst

The only reason I ever voted for him was because the the other choice was even worse.  Please keep that in mind.  Losing a seat because the Dem in it is often a turncoat is worse than keeping the seat and perhaps getting back a dem majority and the speaker.

I do hear you.  McIntyre was bad news most of the time.

The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis. - Dante Alighieri

by Persiflage on Thu May 08, 2014 at 05:48:38 PM PDT

•  I checked to see if she is doing any town halls (1+ / 0-)
      Fordmandalay

There's one coming up online, but it's specifically about student loans and you have to submit the questions in advance.

I suppose we could inundate her with questions about her series of terrible, terrible votes, but I think she will just ignore them.

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves. -Thoreau

by CenPhx on Thu May 08, 2014 at 06:39:43 PM PDT

•  You can count on it. (2+ / 0-)
        CenPhx, thomask

My congressional bastard is Mark Meadows NC-11.

I attended an only hand in your questions first.  Waste of time.  He obfuscated and did not allow for follow-up questions.  When I complained that he hadn't answered one of the questions - his thugs moved to throw me out.

The submit questions is a sure fire way to screw with your constituents.

•  Here's a listing of her bad votes (5+ / 0-)

Here are some of the terrible votes by Sinema and Barber. Not all , just some. (Most of the language below is pulled from the diaries, so h/t to each author):

Both joined in when the House voted to call on Attorney General Eric Holder to appoint a special counsel to investigate the "targeting" of Tea Party groups by the IRS.

Link.

She was one of only 31 Democrats who voted against Rep. Rush Holt's amendment to appropriate $2.5 million to re-institute the Office of Technology Assessment (OTA), offset from funds in the House Historic Buildings Revitalization Trust Fund. The OTA was created in 1972 to provide unbiased analysis of complex scientific and technical issues.

Link.

Barber was one of 18 Democrats who voted against an appropriations amendment to allow VA hospital doctors to discuss the use of medical marijuana with patients.

Link.

They both, along with 29 other Democrats, joined the GOP in voting against the Democratic caucus's budget.

Link.

Both joined 16 other Democrats in voting to pass the deceptively titled Save American Workers Act. The bill would eliminate language in ACA that defines a full-time employee as anyone working 30 or more hours a week, and replace it with a 40-hour requirement instead.

Link.

Both, along with 14 other Democrats, voted to pass the Budget and Accounting Transparency Act, which would require the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) and the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to use "fair value" estimates for the cost of all government loan programs as opposed to the direct costs themselves. "Fair value" estimates apply the same risk factors that a private business might apply to making a loan. Considering that the government is not a private business, such estimates end up overstating the cost of the programs and, thus, the size of the federal deficit.

Link.

Both voted in favor of delaying the implementation of the penalty for failure to comply with the individual health insurance mandate. Only 25 other Democrats voted with them.

Link.

Both supported a bill designed to increase corporate influence over federal regulations. Only 15 other Democrats voted in favor.

Link.

Another bill which they voted for, and which had the support of 39 other Democrats, was a collection of Republican proposals to roll back environmental restrictions on the use of federal land.

Link.

They both joined the cut to food stamps.

Link.

They voted to exempt private equity firms from financial regulations enacted by the 2010 Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (aka "Dodd-Frank"). They were joined by 34 other Democrats.

Link.

70 House Democrats voted with the GOP to undo the part of Dodd-Frank financial reform law that prevents banks from engaging in risky derivatives trading with funds insured by government programs like deposit insurance. Sinema and Barber were 2 of the 70.

Link.

During the shutdown, they both voted with a Republicans to fund pieces of the government, like the National Parks Dept.

Link.

During the defense appropriations amendment process, Adam Schiff proposed an amendment that would sunset the Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF) with the end of our combat role in Afghanistan, i.e. December 31, 2014. Both Sinema and Barber voted against it, along with 37 other Democrats.

Link.

the Amash-Conyers amendment (i.e. the amendment to curb the blanket surveillance powers of the NSA) failed 205 to 217. If seven votes had flipped, it would have won. 111 Democrats and 94 Republicans voted in favor of the amendment. 134 Republicans and 83 Democrats opposed it. A majority of the House Democratic caucus supported the amendment even though the President was lobbying heavily against it.  Both Barber and Sinema voted against it.

by CenPhx on Thu May 08, 2014 at 07:39:20 PM PDT

•  Excellent research! (2+ / 0-)
        CenPhx, dobleremolque

I refuse to subscribe to the 'political expediency' game, where GEE even though they vote R consistently, HEY LOOK they have a D after their name, so GO TEAM!

It's our duty to hold our politicians accountable to fight for our causes and follow our Party's goals - if we don't, then what the eff is the point?

by Fordmandalay on Thu May 08, 2014 at 09:35:17 PM PDT

•  My rep is Schweikert (palm hitting forehead now) (1+ / 0-)
          bobinalaska

and he has a job for life barring a bed-dead-girl-live-boy occurrence, so I donated generously to Barber, Sinema, and Kirkpatrick in the lead up to election day 2012, since I felt it was the only way to have my voice heard in a way.  I even volunteered to be a poll monitor for a progressive organization in what became Sinema's district.

I have yet to send a dime to Barber and Sinema this go-around, and I don't know if I will.  In general, I do believe in the reality that a liberal firebrand can't get elected in these right tilting districts.  But I also feel, on a visceral level, deep disappointment in these dems, who vote like pseudo-republicans, and I see how it makes me totally unmotivated to support them.  I know there are many Arizona democrats who worked way harder than I did to elect these reps.  Crap like this Benghazi vote must make them absolutely scream!