View Diary: Here's what Republicans are 'willing to concede' to Democrats in upcoming #Benghazi hearing (99 comments)

•  IIRC Ron Barber (AZ-02) Gifford's replacement (4+ / 0-)

Patrick Murphy (FL-18)  replaced Allen West

So insanely tight race dems

I want 1 less Tiny Coffin, Why Don't You? Support The President's Gun Violence Plan.

by JML9999 on Fri May 09, 2014 at 07:43:13 AM PDT

•  Tight race Dems? (15+ / 0-)

To hell with them.  I can't believe that their constituents are banging down their doors demanding that they investigate Benghazi.  No one but partisan Republicans gives a good goddam about investigating Benghazi.

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Fri May 09, 2014 at 07:53:20 AM PDT

•  Seriously! (7+ / 0-)

I will never believe this either, it's just more excuse-making.

WHERE are the sanctions? When do they get thrown off any committees they might be on? When do they get threatened with withholding of election support?

What the fuck, people? Why isn't THAT front-paged?

"Inevitability" diminishes free will and replaces it with self-fulfilling prophecies."--Geenius At Wrok

by lunachickie on Fri May 09, 2014 at 07:58:45 AM PDT

•  Shooting oneself in the foot (1+ / 0-)
          underwriter505

is rarely wise.

Every one of these people is light years better than the Republican who would take their seat if they lost.

•  For the last time (0+ / 0-)

the question is not "who would be better?"

The question is THIS (these, actually):

Now, if you're saying "front-paging the fact that seven Democrats need to be punished, let alone primaried because they voted like Republicans when Democrats needed them the most--again" would shoot "oneself" in the foot? Is that what you mean?

If so, don't look now, but that says a metric fuckton more than you probably wanted to say. Shocking...

by lunachickie on Fri May 09, 2014 at 02:03:01 PM PDT

•  Your hijacking exchange sure does say a lot about (1+ / 0-)
              CatKinNY

both of you.  Lunachickie does not think it is important to have a moderate Dem rather than a nut case Repub.
              elmo on the other hand thinks the Dem who can be elected is better than the Repub who will be elected if the Dems run someone approved by Luna.
              Personally I think a major problem with the Dems is illustrated by Luna who is happy to lose and screw the nation if the Dem does not agree with her.
              I bet she voted for Nader.

•  Ron Barber to me is a DINO (3+ / 0-)
                hepette, sendtheasteroid, CatKinNY

He voted to delay the ACA for one year to bow down to the repubs to prevent government shutdown.
                He voted with repubs to cut food stamps.
                Now he votes with the repubs for endless, evermore Benghazi.
                WTF, Ron Barber?
                Every now and again he votes like a Democrat.
                I guess he's sucking up to the repubs in this district.  This is AZ, after all.
                But what I hate is that I feel forced to vote for him.  He is running (again) against repub Martha McSally, who is worse.  If I vote for another party, or even don't vote, I might as well be voting for McSally.   Situations like this do tend to disgust me.

Even the smallest dog can lift its leg on the tallest building - Jim Hightower

by cymricmorty on Sat May 10, 2014 at 03:51:45 PM PDT

•  Benghazi (0+ / 0-)

Well put my friend.

•  Meanwhile the conservatives mock efforts to help (0+ / 0-)

200 plus girls kidnapped in Africa. See the Fox panel discuss it and openly LAUGH and MAKE JOKES about it.
        But they are enraged about 4 dead Americans?
        Political posturing at it's worst and creepiest.

•  This is how stuff like fraud becomes (16+ / 0-)

institutionalized: "neutralization techniques." These are means of convincing oneself that various forms of increasingly destructive behavior are necessary, practical, unavoidable, inevitable.

Sorry, you don't get democracy by participating in fraud. You can't.

The Third Way has turned it into an art form in the same way baseball mainstreamed steroid use, the mortgage industry mainstreamed increasingly bad loans, the financial services industry completely defrauded the public with loan-backed securities ratings and then actually promoted and sold them to live people as good investments, and CDO swaps...

And this is why, at its core, meritocracies become caricatures. The fraud is what becomes revered and those who do not participate are considered purists who are scorned and laughed at. That's what happened in baseball and in financial services, with Enron, with minting coin before nation states, and on and on and on.

The Third Way no more recognizes the problem and the fact that it is a poison pill to democracy than it would ever intend to do anything about it. It is too enmeshed in the fraudulent system. And they will resort to the same fraudulent logic as their counterparts in the Republican Party -- from "I earned this exorbitant perk" to "I earned this sexcapade" to you name it, however self-entitled people can self-aggrandise themselves. It's a form of nihilism.

You can no more achieve democracy or the Democratic Party platform through the Third Way than you can with neo-Republicanism. They are closed systems joined at the hip at their corrupt climax.

I've never left a blank space on a ballot... but I will not vote for someone [who vows] to spy on me. I will not do it. - dclawyer06

Trust, but verify. - Reagan
      Vote, but Occupy. - commonmass

by Words In Action on Fri May 09, 2014 at 08:19:17 AM PDT

•  And the Benghazi Committee is a fraud. (5+ / 0-)

Only corrupt D's will participate.

Trust, but verify. - Reagan
        Vote, but Occupy. - commonmass

by Words In Action on Fri May 09, 2014 at 08:29:44 AM PDT

•  Easy, tiger (1+ / 0-)
          daeros

Pelosi may appoint some Ds to watch the clown show and make sure GOP tricks are kept in check.  That doesn't make those Ds corrupt.

•  The 7 Dems in that list are CORRUPT (4+ / 0-)

if they voted with Republicans on this shit.

Why are we looking forward to see if Pelosi "may appoint some Ds to watch the clown show"?? Why aren't we in the present doing something about these 7 damned traitors to our party and to our people?

What the hell is wrong with some of you? These Ds stabbed us all in the fucking back. Shame on anyone who makes excuses, "looks forward" and defends the indefensible.

by lunachickie on Fri May 09, 2014 at 10:05:33 AM PDT

•  you make it sound like those two things are (1+ / 0-)
              Againststochasticterrorism

mutually exclusive.  If you think I was defending the 7 who voted for it, you're mistaken because I was talking about whoever Pelosi might appoint.

But if you think letting the teabaggers run the hearings without anybody from our side bird-dogging them and taking their allotted time to call bullshit, you're also mistaken.  Boycotting it makes a nice statement - for about 90 seconds, after which the GOTP will do what they will, but calling bullshit every day the committee sits has the potential to make news day after day as long as the circus is in town.

•  Good post. (3+ / 0-)
        Words In Action, a2nite, Skyye

This reflects the frustration I feel about my Dem senator. The only thing that will drive me to support him in Nov. is knowing his opponent supports cramming the "family fucking values" agenda of the far right down everybody's throats.

If the GOP ever does the unthinkable and abandons it's social conservative agenda, it will be interesting to see what those pols do. Because social conservatism is pretty much the only difference I've ever noticed between a Republican and a Third Wayer.

•  Part of the problem (1+ / 0-)
          Words In Action
          So your Dem will never change. He/she has no incentive to change.

When do we learn that embracing the suck isn't the answer?

by lunachickie on Fri May 09, 2014 at 10:08:42 AM PDT

•  The problem is "changing them" isn't that simple (0+ / 0-)

It isn't that people living in those districts like to "embrace suck". It's that a lot of people in Blue Dog and Third Way districts, don't have many electable alternatives.

For instance, in my situation here in Colorado, I can vote to re-elect Mark Udall, the Third Way incumbent in the Colorado senate race. If I do and if he wins, everything you just said is exactly right--he won't change, has no reason to.

BUT...

The other option people here have is not to vote for him and watch social conservative and Koch-sponsored candidate Cory Gardner win the seat in this very close year, which could also flip the whole senate to the GOP.
            Should that happen, we will have a House and Senate passing all kinds of corporate and social conservative legislation with the only hope for liberals being Obama's veto, which given his willingness to sign the TPP, appoint a social conservative judge and the fact that he picked Wheeler, a shill for big telecom to run the FCC, I don't have a lot of faith in right now.

So while I understand what you're saying, if you were in my shoes, would you be willing to pay the price of a Republican-controlled senate to get rid of a Third Wayer or Blue Dog? Keep in mind if the senate flips, everyone will feel the pain, no matter where you live.

•  Yes, it is that simple. (0+ / 0-)

When you vote for a Democrat to represent you, he/she needs to vote on legislation, etc. like a Democrat.

When they do that, you reward them with your continued support. When they don't, I don't give a flying fuck if you put Martians in charge at this point--you are rewarding failure and that makes you part of the problem.

Because when you do that, they have no incentive to change.

What is difficult about this? Nothing.

by lunachickie on Fri May 09, 2014 at 02:06:23 PM PDT

•  We see things differently. (1+ / 0-)
                Phoenix Woman

I grew up in Kentucky, moved to Colorado so I can honestly say I've never been represented by a "true" Democrat ever in my lifetime. The fact is, there's a lot of parts in this country where a true blue Dem just can't win. The reality of what you're talking about would be a purified Democratic minority.

I'm looking at the bigger picture--one where we might get or keep the majority nationally, one where the guy who I half agree with wins over the guy I can't stand, one where they're not sending social conservative legislation to the president's desk to be signed into law. Sure it isn't everything I want. But getting some of the things you want is better than nothing at all.

It's like what Bill Maher once said about a liberal's criticism of Obama, "A shitty friend is still better than your sworn enemy."

Speaking of Obama, did you vote for him in 2012? If you did, I got a feeling you understand where I'm coming from. Because after one term I believe we all could agree he isn't the ideal Democrat. But I also believe we could agree he is still way better than Mitt Romney.

•   What I want? (1+ / 0-)
                  hepette

What about what's right? What about not abusing processes of government? What about bald-faced LIES?

getting some of the things you want is better than nothing at all.
                  Get this red herring bullshit out of here! This is not about ponies and unicorns. It's about abuse. Democrats have no fucking business enabling this SHIT.

by lunachickie on Sat May 10, 2014 at 10:51:36 AM PDT

•  The answer is obvious... (0+ / 0-)

The problem is simply the fact that most incumbent blue dog / Third Way candidates never see primary challengers. We need more primary challengers for these people.

Flipping the seat "red" just to get rid of a wishy-washy blue candidate isn't the answer. Because just as Kentucky used to be a "blue" state (albeit blue dog), once it flips to red turning it back to blue isn't as easy as you'd like to think it is.

•  I happen to like my Senator from CO (1+ / 0-)
                  TheDudester

Even if you don't think he's blue enough, but then, my family has known the Udalls in politics for generations. Most of his family and mine were Republicans until the party went bat-crap. (Drove my parents nuts when I joined the Young Dems at 15)

I cannot stomach my State Rep Cory Gardner who wanted to secede. He plans to replace Mark and is running very closely with his many fanatical followers (Secession! Benghazi! Cliven Bundy hero!). Lukewarm or not, if Dems don't loyally work hard in this election we're going to have Paul Ryan's stupider twin for a Senator - and that takeover of the Senate is looking grim for our side right now.

If you teach your child only one thing, let it be kindness through example.

by Nodin on Sat May 10, 2014 at 02:15:35 PM PDT

•  I didn't like how he... (1+ / 0-)
                    JJustin

Stood by Obama on Chain-CPI on social security and said something along the lines of, "I'd gladly sacrifice my seat to pass chain-cpi..."

That stuck in my head and I'll never forget he said it because I can't believe a Dem would EVER advocate something like that.

BUT...

I also understand if Gardner gets in we could get that and so much more. So I will vote for Udall in Nov, if for no other reason than to cast my vote against Cory Gardner. Because I understand imperfect is still much better than fucking awful.

•  Suggested for top comments, thx (2+ / 0-)
        Words In Action, 88kathy

I voted tuesday because it is my right, my responsibility and because my parents moved from Alabama to Ohio to vote. Unfortunately, the republicons want to turn Ohio into Alabama.

by a2nite on Fri May 09, 2014 at 09:44:21 AM PDT