View Diary: The hell with an assault rifle. I want a gunboat. (95 comments)

•  I was taught from an early age to (1+ / 0-)
    RiveroftheWest

salute the flag, eat apple pie and someday become a mother. I have no qualms about adding hoist  with my own petard to my duties. (I had to look up the  wording about the petard. I've always gone with "throw myself upon my own sword".) It all comes out the same and  I volunteer to be a human shield. (I am feeling very patriotic.)

If I wasn't Bob Dylan, I'd probably think that Bob Dylan has a lot of answers myself. Bob Dylan

by weezilgirl on Sun May 11, 2014 at 06:49:47 PM PDT

•  I am grateful for your research (2+ / 0-)
      weezilgirl, RiveroftheWest

Couldn't tell you what a petard is, but promise I'll look it up when we get some Tall Ship gunboats.

Volunteering, however? Very unmilitary tradition....

A beggar on horseback lashes a beggar on foot. The beggars change places, but the lash goes on. --WB Yeats

by kestrel sparhawk on Sun May 11, 2014 at 11:25:27 PM PDT

•   I was born to serve and protect. (1+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest

Or protect and serve, whichever comes first.

by weezilgirl on Mon May 12, 2014 at 01:48:10 PM PDT

•  A question that I feel is very important.. (1+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest

What are you doing staying up so late? Captains should be rested and  assured   they can perform their duties. The underlings get very nervous to see their superiors falling down on their jobs. (Much less their own petards.)

by weezilgirl on Mon May 12, 2014 at 01:51:42 PM PDT

•  That's why you're more patriotic than I, and (2+ / 0-)

are willing to volunteer: it's in the apple pie (probably the spices).

I prefer pumpkin pie, which is why I'll back up your patriotic stance while hoping to avoid the draft should it try to hunt me down.

This is the country of those three great rights: freedom of conscience, freedom of speech, and the wisdom never to exercise either of them. -- Mark Twain.

by JJustin on Tue May 13, 2014 at 01:39:37 PM PDT

•  Apple pie spices are the best. So are pumpkin pie (0+ / 0-)

spices.

A perfume of both  spices  would be great. In fact you could wear a lot of it and probably escape the draft.

by weezilgirl on Tue May 13, 2014 at 10:12:30 PM PDT