View Diary: "Strange" foods you are not supposed to love but you do? (91 comments)

•  Anchovies 'straight up' (4+ / 0-)

are my preferred choice. I am hesitant to include them in cooked food, except for one way, in a bundle of fresh asparagus and rosemary, and baked or cooked in a pan.
    What is esoterically exotic food?

'A civilization flourishes when people plant trees under whose shade they will never sit' Greek Proverb

by janis b on Sun May 11, 2014 at 12:33:06 AM PDT

•  Missed this comment and question. (4+ / 0-)

Sorry.  It's just a term used by a certain group of foodies and suppliers for those exotic or non native foods that are especially difficult to obtain through the regular more popular markets.  From what I've read, they're usually a very acquired taste and usually very expensive.  Sometimes it's the length of time and difficulties with the preparation.

I love most anything with fresh asparagus and/or rosemary.

Where is the Life we have lost in living? Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information? ...Eliot, The Rock, '34

by blueoasis on Sun May 11, 2014 at 10:14:44 AM PDT

•  Thanks for your response (4+ / 0-)

It's Spring, you must be enjoying lots of fresh Asparagus.

by janis b on Sun May 11, 2014 at 03:02:27 PM PDT

•  It's been available in groceries for a while, (3+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, BFSkinner, Youffraita

but we can mostly get by with our fair-sized well-established bed in the back garden, unless we should need a lot at one time.  We both like it raw also, so........  The climate this year has caused a couple of late, hard freezes and freeze backs which is very unusual and especially without enough protective snow cover.  But we'll get enough to be happy I think....if we don't have an unusual heat wave and it all bolts.  Lol.

by blueoasis on Sun May 11, 2014 at 04:05:34 PM PDT

•  Raw or hardly cooked is best I agree, alone or (2+ / 0-)
            blueoasis, Youffraita

maybe a splash of lemon and pepper.

by janis b on Sun May 11, 2014 at 08:28:56 PM PDT

•  As a salad composee (1+ / 0-)
              janis b

And excuse me: I am thinking "salade composee" in French and forgetting how to spell it. But although I love fresh asparagus however it is prepared, this one's just too much fun:

Steam the spears until just done (bright green). I prefer the skinny ones but YMMV. Shock them in ice water and drain; dry them off.

Arrange them on a bed of leaf lettuce and dress them with a homemade Dijon vinaigrette.

Makes a divine salad course.

English usage is sometimes more than mere taste, judgment and education - sometimes it's sheer luck, like getting across the street. E. B. White

by Youffraita on Sun May 11, 2014 at 11:45:37 PM PDT

•  For the longest time I also preferred (1+ / 0-)
                Youffraita

the skinny ones, but lately I am questioning whether they are as fully flavoured. I'm still experimenting, although most of the sweet crunchiness has probably to do with freshness, fat or skinny. I wonder how it would be with wasabi, as a subsitute for mustard. I'll let you know if you're interested.

by janis b on Mon May 12, 2014 at 12:13:05 AM PDT

•  Very interested, but (1+ / 0-)
                  janis b

not sure where to find wasabi (except in the local sushi restaurants, of which we have a few, none of which I can afford).

Still, yes, very curious.

I've always found the skinny ones to be just as flavorful as their large cousins: frequently more so. But it might also depend on whether they are grown locally or flown in from, say, CA or Chile. And I've never tried the white ones.

The fact that I eat them at all is still a wonder to me. When I was a kid, Mom fed us canned asparagus: and that's just an abomination. I was in high school before I had the real thing and realized it was delicious.

by Youffraita on Mon May 12, 2014 at 12:22:52 AM PDT

•  My guess (1+ / 0-)
                    Youffraita

is that any supermarket or Asian market will have the dried powder or paste.

I didn't like the white ones, but I'm not German or French. Maybe the green is too bold or American for them.

by janis b on Mon May 12, 2014 at 12:29:58 AM PDT

•  Supermarkets around here? (1+ / 0-)
                      janis b

ROFLMFAO. Lucky if they carry panko.

Asian markets, though, yeah: probably.

This backwater is at least 20 years behind the times, and has been since before I was born. It's only the influx of immigrants that brought it into the 20th Century...and only one century late! Imagine that! ;-D

by Youffraita on Mon May 12, 2014 at 12:46:15 AM PDT

•  Too sorry, too bad (1+ / 0-)
                        Youffraita

I live in one of the most diversely populated places, with a magnitude of flavours. If you can't find wasabi, which personally I can't live without, let me know and I can post you some when I'm visiting family and friends in June or July.

by janis b on Mon May 12, 2014 at 12:50:37 AM PDT