View Diary: "Strange" foods you are not supposed to love but you do? (91 comments)

•  Did you read about the guy (1+ / 0-)
    Youffraita

who caught the six legged octopus in Greece - the second ever documented example in all of human history - and promptly cooked it and ate it?

o caminho d'ouro, uma pinga de mel: Parati

by tarkangi on Sun May 11, 2014 at 07:55:15 PM PDT

•  No, I missed that one! (1+ / 0-)
      tarkangi

But given the economic conditions in Greece since 2008, he was probably too hungry to care.

English usage is sometimes more than mere taste, judgment and education - sometimes it's sheer luck, like getting across the street. E. B. White

by Youffraita on Sun May 11, 2014 at 11:14:32 PM PDT

•  Sadly, no (1+ / 0-)
        Youffraita

He was a dumb ass rich bastard who didn't understand what he was doing.  I hate people like that, they do a lot of damage in their enthusiastic ignorance.

o caminho d'ouro, uma pinga de mel: Parati

by tarkangi on Sun May 11, 2014 at 11:18:11 PM PDT

•  Oh, then that totally sux (1+ / 0-)
          tarkangi

I am sorry. Also sorry for all the poor Greeks who are hurting, what with austerity inflicted on them (leading to what will be their own lost decade or two) who would have utilized that extra arm to feed extended family or maybe hungry neighbors.

It still would have been a loss to science, but it would have fed some more people who needed the nutrition.

by Youffraita on Sun May 11, 2014 at 11:33:35 PM PDT

•  Austerity is Hell (1+ / 0-)
            Youffraita

I was in Buenos Aires in the 2001/2002 crises when the IMF torpedoed the Argentine economy to set an example for the other South American debtor nations.  Having cleverly arranged to be paid in dollars I myself made out like a bandit while around me people starved to death in one of the richest agricultural nations in the world.  Ugly does not begin to describe it; the sense of helplessness in the face of disaster clings to my soul.

One of the big truths I learned in Brasil is that famine is not caused by the weather.  Hunger is caused by the failure of human organizations when it is not caused by outright malice.

o caminho d'ouro, uma pinga de mel: Parati

by tarkangi on Sun May 11, 2014 at 11:44:58 PM PDT

•  Can't argue. (1+ / 0-)
              tarkangi

I would only edit it to read:

One of the big truths I learned in Brasil is that famine is not caused [only] by the weather.  Hunger is caused by the failure of human organizations when it is not caused by outright malice.
              Just b/c the weather can play a role. But otherwise, your comment is spot-on perfect.

by Youffraita on Sun May 11, 2014 at 11:52:20 PM PDT