View Diary: Boehner: GOP's #Benghazi panel will do just fine without Democrats (89 comments)

•  The good reason has been shown time and again (15+ / 0-)

by Congressman Cummings. Every time Issa releases something the press treats it like a smoking gun. Then Cummings releases the rest of it and shows it for the lie it is. If we don't have someone there who can release the truth there won't be any easy way to show the media how dishonest they are.

Don't think for a second that the media will look for the truth on their own.

Most of the people taking a hard line against us are firmly convinced that they are the last defenders of civilization... The last stronghold of mother, God, home and apple pie and they're full of shit! David Crosby, Journey Thru the Past.

by Mike S on Tue May 13, 2014 at 09:03:24 AM PDT

•  And every witness should begin... (22+ / 0-)

...their answer to any question with either:

1.  "As I already testified in the twelve other hearings on this subject..."

or

2.  "I respectfully agree to answer that question on the grounds that it will make you look stupid..."

And the answer to any threats of being held in contempt of Congress can be met with:

"Sir, if you believe that my truthfully answering your questions in a manner that does not support your preconceived conclusion is the definition of contempt, then please lock me up in the House jail now."

•  I agree (4+ / 0-)

We need a watch dog.  I suggest sending in just one person.  It will give us an opportunity to call them on their lies while showing what a sham this committee is.  Our first question to the repuke members should be..."did you read the entire information on the last report that was done on Benghazi."  If not, we should require them to go back and read every report and/or transcript on the issue before wasting more tax payer money. That means all 25,000 pages.  IMHO

•  Hasnt stopped anything though, has it? (4+ / 0-)

Cummings hasnt made any difference because the GOP doesnt give a shit what Cummings or the press says. They have their conspiracy and they're sticking with it.

So, the real question is why should Democrats care what a GOP committee puts out for the benefit of their own base and their own fundraising?

Convince me why I should care.

•  I don't think we need to have anyone on site (0+ / 0-)

in order to refute their BS, but I guess I can see the advantage to having a nearly equal number of Dems there to take their floor time and ask pertinent/clarifying questions of witnesses.

It's just so distasteful, like most of what the GOP cooks up. The legacy of the early 21st century GOP will be one of shame, if history is reported with the least bit of accuracy.

"Non-violence is a powerful and just weapon which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Gentle Giant on Tue May 13, 2014 at 10:37:12 AM PDT

•  If our base were paying attention, Id agree. (0+ / 0-)

But none of our folks care about this. So what do we stand to gain from spending any time on it?

•  It is not our base that I am worried about. (0+ / 0-)

It is the uninformed middle that hears top of the hour newscasts in their car on the way to work.

by Mike S on Tue May 13, 2014 at 11:24:58 AM PDT

•  They dont exist. (0+ / 0-)

I think I've debunked this 'middle voters' myth so many times its starting to hurt my feelings. You are absolutely and completely misguided to worry about this mythical middle that, I say again, is so small its not even worth bothering over.

This election, like all modern elections, is not going to be won 'in the middle.' It will be won by turning out the Democratic base. That is where your worry should be. Andnif youre worried about that as I am, then you see no need to bother with Benghazi.

•  If we follow your logic we should never (0+ / 0-)

bother proving republican lies.

by Mike S on Tue May 13, 2014 at 12:46:47 PM PDT

•  Only on issues important to US, Mike. (1+ / 0-)
                  alypsee1

Lying about ObamaCare, yes refute that. Lying about Social Security, absolutely. Lying about Benghazi? No. Thats silly. We may as well debate them about Cliven Bundy.

Lets stay focused on OUR issues and not be led around by the nose by every GOP crackpot.

•  Actually it has. (1+ / 0-)
        raspberryberet

It hasn't worked within the conservative bubble but it has outside of it. However that again was because we had someone there who put out the who the truth instead of letting the lies stand.

I work in the news media. I know exactly what is going to happen because I see it all the time. The report will be:

"Republicans investigating Benghazi have released information showing that Hillary Clinton and President Obama conspired with al Qaeda kill ambassador Stevens and blame it on a video. Democrats have boycotted the investigation."

In other news...

Journalism is now stenography for the most part. I see it every day. I argue against it every day. Those are the hands we have been dealt and unless we fight back, and make sure we have a way to show their lies in this investigation, these narratives will continue

And if you think I am wrong ask yourself why the swift boat liars were proven liars time and again yet whenever they released a new lie it was taken by the media as if it came from reputable sources.

by Mike S on Tue May 13, 2014 at 11:23:46 AM PDT

•  You watch too much cable news. (0+ / 0-)

And read too much pundits. You know who beats Bill O'Reilly and the evening news every day in the ratings? Reruns of Sponge Bob. And TMZ.

Nobody cares about any of this. Nobody knows who Cummings is, knows what the fuck a Benghazi is, or really gives a shit some guys got killed in Libya.

The only reason you think this is important is because Republicans and Punditry is talking about it. I can assure, nobody else who will cast a vote this November cares about what any of them say about a topic none of them care about. You'd do yourself well to join in the bliss.

•  It is thinking like that that gave us (0+ / 0-)

the swift boat liars. Maybe you missed the part where I told you what I do. Since I have an intimate knowledge of how a top 10 station in the 2nd biggest market covers these things I think I will stick with my point.

by Mike S on Tue May 13, 2014 at 01:04:21 PM PDT

•  Your mistaken if you think John Kerry lost (1+ / 0-)
              alypsee1

becuase his war record in Vietnam was the number one issue among the voters. Ridiculous. None of it mattered, except to people who were never going to vote for him anyway. Democrats blame swift boat to avoid the clear facts, evident in 2000 and 2004: we kept blowing turnout operations. Howard Dean at the DNC and the Obama Campaign fixed that.

Kerry lost because he didnt turn out the vote and Bush did. It is that simple. We win when we turn out. We lose when we dont. Because of the simple truth there are more of us than there are of them.This isnt some magic pundit/ad game. Nobody pays a lick of attention to any of the blather us political junkies consume.

Stop worrying about some fat midwestern slob sitting there thinking 'you know...I was going to vote Democrat, but boy oh boy...Benghazi!' That person does not exist, and if he does, theres too few of him to make any difference in an election.

• Recommended (125)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (31)
  • Elections (31)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site