View Diary: Nate Silver Doesn't Think This Election Is Important. He's Very Wrong. (188 comments)

•  Nate Silver = Rain Man (12+ / 0-)
    Doctor: Ray, can we try something?

Raymond:
    Yeah.

Doctor: Do you know how much 312 x 123 is?

Raymond: [saying digit after digit] 3-8-3-7-6.

Doctor: [amazed] He's right.

Charlie: What?

Doctor: He's right!

Charlie: He's right?

Doctor: Yeah.

[the calculator shows 38376]

Doctor: Ray... How much is 4343 x 1234?

Raymond: [saying digit after digit] 5-3-5-9-2-6-2

Charlie: He's a genius...

Doctor: Right.

Charlie: He's a genius!

Doctor: Ray! Do you know how much a square root of 2130 is?

Raymond: 4-6 point 1-5-1-9-2-3-0-4.

[the calculator shows 46.15192304]

Raymond: 2-3-0-4.

Charlie: That's amazing! He is amazing! He should work for NASA or something like that.

Doctor: [walking to Raymond] If you had a dollar... and you spent 50 cents, how much money would you have left?

Raymond: About 70...

Doctor: 70 cents?

Raymond: 70 cents.

-4.75, -5.33 Cheney 10/05/04: "I have not suggested there is a connection between Iraq and 9/11."

by sunbro on Wed May 14, 2014 at 06:46:18 AM PDT

•  That strikes me as a bit ableist. Most people (1+ / 0-)
      FishOutofWater

have strengths and weaknesses. There's no need to insult autistics here. It isn't autistics who are out there promoting dangerous ideas about voting and climate change.

•  That is your interpretation. (3+ / 0-)
        TrueBlueMajority, mconvente, CenPhx

The point is that just because you are a genius at one thing does not make you a genius with regard to all things, even things that are seemingly related.

For example, B.F. Skinner was a hell of a thinker in psychology and brought us advances in that field. But if you trusted him to create an entire society that worked well, he would not have fared so well. His ideas outside of behaviorism were a bit over the top and unworkable.

by sunbro on Wed May 14, 2014 at 08:02:58 AM PDT

•  Well, what does that have to with autism, (0+ / 0-)

then? Why bring autism into the picture at all? As you and I both agree, there are lots of people with strengths and weaknesses that aren't autistic. Sorry, but it looks a lot like you're mocking autistics there, and you haven't really disproven that point. It's also not that hard to say, hey, I wouldn't want it to come across that way, even if it wasn't your intent to mock autistics. Instead, you throw in a red herring.

•  Mocking autistics? (0+ / 0-)

That's a heck of an accusation.

If you have a problem with the movie "Rain Man", the script, and Dustin Hoffman's loving portrayal of an autistic man, then give the producers, writers, and actors of the movie hell, not me.

You are the one who believes that the script of the movie mocks autistic people. I do not agree with you.

by sunbro on Wed May 14, 2014 at 10:54:08 AM PDT

•  "To mock" - definition: (0+ / 0-)

"To tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner."

scorn·ful
            ˈskôrnfəl/
            adjective
            adjective: scornful

feeling or expressing contempt or derision.

con·temp·tu·ous
            kənˈtem(p)CHo͞oəs/
            adjective
            adjective: contemptuous

showing contempt; scornful.
                "she was intolerant and contemptuous of the majority of the human race"
                synonyms:    scornful, disdainful, disrespectful, insulting, insolent, derisive, mocking, sneering, scoffing, withering, scathing, snide;

Therefore, my point is, I was laughing with someone, NOT at someone.

Moreover, I like Nate Silver and I like autistic people too. One can recognize imperfections in others' thinking and still have a loving heart.

by sunbro on Wed May 14, 2014 at 11:34:03 AM PDT

•  Maybe the problem was that (0+ / 0-)

your dialog did not illustrate your point. It showed someone who was good at complex math and bad at simple arithmetic, which is not at all like the Nate Silver problem--Nate is brilliant at number-crunching and not so hot at political/legal/social analysis. (Do autistic people have trouble with simple arithmetic? I don't know, but if they do, then your comment could be interpreted as making fun of autism).

"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." --I.F. Stone

by Alice in Florida on Thu May 15, 2014 at 06:09:54 AM PDT

•  If I did not prove my point with my analogy, (0+ / 0-)

then poets are REALLY in trouble.

Moreover, my post merely quoted the script of the movie "Rain Man", and by the way, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences did not seem to believe that it made fun of autism in a mocking way:

by sunbro on Thu May 15, 2014 at 06:51:08 AM PDT

•  The point is that he's really good (8+ / 0-)

at quantitative but not so much at qualitative. He's smart, but not wise.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09