View Diary: Police commissioner in small New Hampshire town unapologetically calls Obama the 'N' word (417 comments)

•  Your math seems a bit off. (2+ / 0-)
    Denise Oliver Velez, poco

In any case, some news organizations are reporting that there are only 200 black folks in the town. At first I thought they meant families, but I rechecked and the term was "residents."

Maya Angelou: "Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

by JoanMar on Thu May 15, 2014 at 08:37:33 PM PDT

•  I checked craiger's math. (3+ / 0-)
      craiger, JoanMar, agramante

2979x.0017=5.06

Since people are generally counted by integers (aside from the original version of the Constitution), 5 is the answer given the numbers relayed to us by Denise.

Cogito, ergo Democrata.

by Ahianne on Thu May 15, 2014 at 08:50:53 PM PDT

•  The figure in the quote from Sis D... (0+ / 0-)

was .017%.

by JoanMar on Thu May 15, 2014 at 08:57:46 PM PDT

•  Correction: 0.17% (1+ / 0-)
          Ahianne

by JoanMar on Thu May 15, 2014 at 09:03:54 PM PDT

•  No. (7+ / 0-)

It was .17%.  .17% = .17/100 = .0017

Heck, before I saw craiger's comment and pulled out the calculator, I'd already estimated it in my head. .17 is approximately 1/6. A percent is 1/100; 1% of 2979 is about 30. 1/6 of 30 is 5.

I'm an engineer, doing the math is pretty much automatic for me. And keeping track of the decimal is something to doublecheck - that's where the slipsticks can easily slip.

Cogito, ergo Democrata.

by Ahianne on Thu May 15, 2014 at 09:12:03 PM PDT

•  Ok, I wondered what the heck you were talking (3+ / 0-)

about. The mistake is mine. I read 17% even after I had read it and written it. The figure is actually .17%.

Owe Craiger an apology too. :)

by JoanMar on Thu May 15, 2014 at 09:19:12 PM PDT

•  It's useful to solve a problem different ways. (2+ / 0-)
            BMScott, Ahianne

And compare results under different methods. Then, when the results agree, it gives you lots of confidence that you're not making a silly mistake.

The way I first thought it through was 3000 * 0.002 = 6, and since I had rounded up both factors, the answer had to be less than six.

Then I worked it out in reverse. Since people are always integral in number, I put 5 / 2979 into the calculator and got something like 0.00168, which I take it was rounded to 0.17% for statistical reporting purposes. Answer checks out.

I'm happy to report that elementary schools in my area are teaching these kinds of thinking skills. Now I just wish that things like percentages and basic algebra would be considered important mathematically literacy skills and not just some arcane thing that can be discarded after graduation because adults "don't use them."

The danger of a lack of facility with numbers is exhibited by the Operation American Spring protest tomorrow in Washington DC. "Organizers" are expecting 10-30 million people to descend on the capital. But I don't think anyone has really thought through how 10-30 million people are going to eat lunch in the capital tomorrow, or take a leak in the capital tomorrow. The logistics are absurd and disgusting to contemplate.

"They let 'em vote, smoke, and drive -- even put 'em in pants! So what do you get? A -- a Democrat for President!" ~ Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

by craiger on Thu May 15, 2014 at 09:47:12 PM PDT

•  As was proven yet again, (1+ / 0-)
              Ahianne

garbage in, garbage out.
              You plug in the wrong number with the right principle and the result will be off.

by JoanMar on Thu May 15, 2014 at 10:28:12 PM PDT

•  30 million would be about 10% (0+ / 0-)

..of the population of the entire country. Ain't happening.

I was in a diary about "American Spring" a little bit earlier; so far there might be 30 or so protestors. Oh, well, what's 6 orders of magnitude among dipshits?

Cogito, ergo Democrata.

by Ahianne on Fri May 16, 2014 at 09:15:44 AM PDT

•  His Math is Correct. (4+ / 0-)
      BMScott, samanthab, Sychotic1, Ahianne

0.17% = 0.0017; 2,979*0.0017 = 5.06, or five people.