View Diary: Federal judge nominee Boggs opposed 'homosexual Boy Scout leaders'. Time to dump him and blue slips (76 comments)

•  You know, besides the use of the scary-sounding (7+ / 0-)

"homosexual" (picture it being said as by the psychiatrist in But I'm A Cheerleader), what pisses me off about all this is how people act like being gay has anything to do with being a Boy Scout leader.  What, do they think a gay Scout leader will teach the boys how to work the runway instead of how to build a fire?

So many things sound scary when you put them together in ways that make no sense.  For example, one could say, "I oppose MMA fighter Boy Scout leaders" or, "I oppose demolitions expert Boy Scout leaders," and suddenly everyone's nodding along, going, "Yeah, I don't want the Scouts cage fighting or blowing up buildings."

Likewise, "homosexual Boy Scout leaders" inevitably leads people to think of Scout leaders "teaching boys to be gay", whether they explicitly think of child abuse, or just whatever's in their mind as "homosexual behavior" -- drag?  "Swishy" walking?  Cooking?

It's such a load.  Keeping openly gay men from serving as Scout leaders (for their sons' troops) won't keep kids safer; it's just bigotry.

© cai Visit 350.org to join the fight against global warming.

by cai on Fri May 16, 2014 at 12:10:00 PM PDT

•  It isn't just the gay male leaders it is the (3+ / 0-)
      cai, Meteor Blades, Eric Nelson

lesbian female leaders as well.
      Not to take away from your very valid point, just to reinforce that sexuality and orientation have, well, nothing to do with scouting.

“When you victim-blame, be aware that in all likelihood, at least one woman you know and love silently decides she cannot trust you.” ` Steph Guthrie

by Penny GC on Fri May 16, 2014 at 01:47:35 PM PDT

•  True, good point. (0+ / 0-)

On another topic, I like your .sig a lot.

© cai Visit 350.org to join the fight against global warming.

by cai on Fri May 16, 2014 at 02:06:52 PM PDT

•  It was in the comments here and I totally stole it (2+ / 0-)
          cai, Eric Nelson

I think it is so true too, it really resonated with me. Next time someone starts in just look around at the faces, eyes, expressions and body language of everyone in earshot, almost as if you can't clutch your purse and run away fast enough...
          Peace and Blessings!

by Penny GC on Fri May 16, 2014 at 04:08:38 PM PDT

•  Unfortunately, the equivalent online may just be (0+ / 0-)

people backing out of a discussion, or leaving a forum, or censoring themselves more carefully so as not to risk being vulnerable.

All these are perfectly reasonable measures for people to take to protect themselves (whether they identify as survivors/victims or not), but it lets the victim-blaming continue unabated in our society.

Part of the reason I try to speak up when I see victim blaming is because I have not yet been a victim of sexual violence (yet -- and how sad is it that I have to acknowledge the ongoing possibility?).  Victim-blaming makes me furious and upset, including on behalf of friends, but it doesn't strike at one of my worst traumas, as it does them.

Of course, it's easier online.  In person, it can be very, very complicated to address, and utterly surprising sometimes.

© cai Visit 350.org to join the fight against global warming.

by cai on Fri May 16, 2014 at 06:58:22 PM PDT

•  True that, safety is of the most important, so if (0+ / 0-)

cannot say something to stop, probably better to take all females with you when you leave...for your safety and theirs.
              Peace and Blessings!