View Diary: Thousands of toddlers are being medicated for A.D.H.D. with stimulants. (Disturbing Concepts) (118 comments)

•  Cut the sugar. FFS. (12+ / 0-)

MDs are far too quick to throw a pill or 10 our way if anything is out of the norm. From overactive toddlers to adults having "anxiety" (iow, LIFE), side effects from one drug are treated with another drug as though they were legitimate symptoms of another problem. This is pure bullshit and a windfall for BigPharma, who'd love to see us ALL on some kind of Soma.
    Srsly, beware the Benzodiazepines. They are life wreckers.

"He went to Harvard, not Hogwarts." ~Wanda Sykes
    Teh Twitterz, I'z awn dem.
    Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.

by OleHippieChick on Sun May 18, 2014 at 05:18:40 AM PDT

•  When I was a kid, (12+ / 0-)

we had one bag of chips and one bottle of soda once a WEEK. There were no hyperactive kids in any of my classes because we played ourselves out. We played and rode bikes for miles.

"He went to Harvard, not Hogwarts." ~Wanda Sykes
      Teh Twitterz, I'z awn dem.
      Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.

by OleHippieChick on Sun May 18, 2014 at 05:30:45 AM PDT

•  Ha, you just reminding me of something I forgot, (15+ / 0-)

OleHippieChick. I had three little brothers, and you just reminded me when we were young my mother had figured out some time in the evening she would send us out into the road to running around and play so were would "play ourselves out" and be ready to fall asleep at bed.

We had to play games which involved running like "come across" and others. I haven't remembered these memories since I was maybe 5 or 6 years old and your comment just brought them all back.

My Mom was a full time Mom and she was really smart. She was always thinking of clever management tricks like this.

I'll bet some of our problems is with the economic need for two parents to work, and extended families broken up, a lot of kids are left on their own, or supervised by an "older sibling who might be six.

So watching TV and playing video games may be the major form of activity, and you are right, A lot of kids are drinking  6 to 12 beverages or power drinks with extra caffeine.

Caffeine is a powerful drug which I'm really sensitive to. If I have even one cup of coffee after about 4:00 to 5:00 p.m I will not be able to get to sleep until 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning.

When I started doing a lot of corporate consulting in Europe the habit was to have late dinners which often stared around 8:00 pm and ended with coffee so I'd join in figuring this is just what people do.

I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. I figured it was just nerves, but it was a big problems so my doctor gave me a prescription for Lorazepam, which could put me to sleep but made me so drowsy the next day, I could barely wake up and think. So my psychiatrist gave me a prescriptions to time released dexadrine.

This worked for waking me up, but made me edgy so he gave me a prescription for Xanax.

Whenever I came back to the States the problem ceased.  I finally figured out I have a hyper-sensitivity to caffeine. It also makes me really aggressive. So I would become an unholy terror in my office. Rapidly grilling employees for the basis of their thinking and pointing out flaws in their assumptions to "help" them be more successful with our clients on their next engagements.

Finally, I just gave it up completely realizing for me caffeine is like a toxin. A poison which does things to my nervous system that shouldn't be done to a human being.

Could it be that some of these "troubled kds" are like me - hyper-sensitive to caffeine and their parents do not realize that it shows up in beverages, power drinks, chocolates, and some of the fiber "health" bars that say "energy bars" on them?

Humor Alert! No statement from this UID is intended to be true, including this one. Comments and Posts intended for recreational purposes only. Unauthorized interpretations may lead to unexpected results. This waiver void where prohibited.

by HoundDog on Sun May 18, 2014 at 06:10:04 AM PDT

•  A major caffeine reaction-palpitating heart-can (5+ / 0-)

feel much like a panic attack and/or anxiety . Makes me wonder how many folks take anxiety drugs cause they drink TOO much coffee and haven't made that easier (safer) connection?

"Life without emotions is like an engine without fuel."

"It's said that the honest man has nothing to hide. Not true. The honest man has to hide himself, because honest men are the prime targets of those who lie."

by roseeriter on Sun May 18, 2014 at 06:19:06 AM PDT

•  Oh, I know, I've been to Emergency Rooms many (2+ / 0-)
            BusyinCA, chimene

times thinking I was having a heart attack.

I've spent about half of my lifetime with fairly significant chest pain, and back pain. Cymbalta helps but at higher dosages flatllines my libido. The pills that fix that make my vision really blurry, and make me feel really spacy. Caffeine can help me refocus the spaciness but then you know the rest that story.

So I take a really low sub-clinical does of Cybalta and live with chronic chest pain. But if I ever have a real heart attack I'm probably toast.

But, I'm probably O.K on that because of my family history of heart attack and slightly high blood pressure I've been on lisonapril for blood pressure, and and pravastatin for bloodpressure

Oh, damn, I just remembered, by being 12.5 hours late to go to bed I'm now late on my night meds and my morning meds.

Sheesh. This is exactly what I was afraid was going to happen. I'm really part of the night shift. I was telling all of my usual gang at OND, Top Comments, etc, that if I don't shut down before dawn,  when you day people wake up you folks will start talking and keep me up all day.

And, I can barely get a word in edgewise. It's probably all that morning coffee you morning people drink. Us night folks are so much more "chill-axed"  (humor alert)

Well, hey dudes and dudettes. I don't want to harsh your mellow here.

Cheers, this time for sure, as Bullwinkle the Moose used to say.

I just posted a quickie on Alan Grayson reporting that the top 0.1 perent, that's the richest 10% of of he top 1% own like like 22% of all American wealth while the bottom 50% own 0.0%!

Good night.

by HoundDog on Sun May 18, 2014 at 09:38:13 AM PDT

•  OMG, HD, you were "piled on." (6+ / 0-)

My bro, too, is very sensitive to caffeine and those meds. They gave you Benzos like they did to him, and piled on. Lots of ppl just swallow them and suffer unimaginable side effects: rubber legs, walls closing in, floor rippling, and BRAIN ZAPS. This occurs when you are trying to get off these short half-life meds. Their effects fade quickly and makes the body crave more than prescribed. Valium, with a longer half-life, is used to transition from the other Benzos. It's a frkn nightmare for the person who has to get off them. A lady from UK recognized the long-term problems of quitting Benzos and developed the Ashton Protocol for slow Benzo tapering, sometimes taking an entire year. They are poison, for the most part.

"He went to Harvard, not Hogwarts." ~Wanda Sykes
          Teh Twitterz, I'z awn dem.
          Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.

by OleHippieChick on Sun May 18, 2014 at 06:22:58 AM PDT

•  I don't know. I was probably what is considered (1+ / 0-)
          BusyinCA

a hyperactive child. When it got to be too much for certain relatives, they gave me a cup of coffee (no sugar) and it chilled me right out.

Some kids might be hypersensitive to caffeine like you are--and I believe that is one aspect of normal.

And others like me, it helps smooth ye old brain waves out. When my kids have a bad day like that, they ask for a sip of my coffee and I give it to them and they do just fine.

BUT--and this is important. We don't keep soda, candy or cakes in the house. So their refined sugar intake is a lot lower than some kids. And that also means no added caffeine mixed with refined sugars either, barring the occasional dark chocolate bar.

"It were a thousand times better for the land if all Witches, but especially the blessing Witch, might suffer death." qtd by Ehrenreich & English. For Her Own Good, Two Centuries of Expert's Advice to Women pp 40

by GreenMother on Sun May 18, 2014 at 11:39:25 AM PDT

•  BigPharma & Medicaid Money. Our taxes are buying (7+ / 0-)

these Rxs for toddlers. I believe in Medicare for All, it's not that I'm begrudging anybody any medicine.
           As I sit here writing this, a local news story is saying that

'80% of prisoners in VT have drug-related charges (heroin)'
      but the quote that made me sit up and see what story it was said:
      "...shackling their lives with drugs is another kind of prison"

I think it's important to note the relationship between Big Pharma's synthetic heroin pills that are the gateway drug to the brown bagged stuff, according to so many stories in the news here.
         And as far as medicating children- I was an ear-infection baby and child up until age 13. Now as an adult I still feel less sluggish and more like 'myself' if I take a very mild dose of the same old-fashioned pseudephed I always took as a child but now I have to sign for because other people have used it as a gateway to meth.

We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

by nuclear winter solstice on Sun May 18, 2014 at 05:32:22 AM PDT

•  And for some of us they help us get (9+ / 0-)

on a plane without having an anxiety attack.  Just because they didn't work for you doesn't make it the equivalent of slugging bleach.

•  You're quite right, miss legalb (3+ / 0-)
        DRo, HoundDog, FarWestGirl

It's sort of personal for me because my bro in Korea has been placed on drug after drug by Army MDs without regard for their effects or side effects or withdrawal effects.

"He went to Harvard, not Hogwarts." ~Wanda Sykes
        Teh Twitterz, I'z awn dem.
        Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.

by OleHippieChick on Sun May 18, 2014 at 05:42:35 AM PDT

•  Lets agree that it depends on the doctor. (0+ / 0-)

There are lots and lots of drugs that do miraculous things, and some of us need those drugs from time to time for legitimate health issues.

But there are nutritional interventions that can be taken to help treat some minor conditions, or even prevent them and that being said--there are a lot of doctors who--for whatever reason do not advocate for those interventions in favor of drugs, even when the drugs are causing harm to some of their patients.

One man's pill is another man's poison.

I don't see that changing ever. So it's up to us to advocate for our own health and make sure we take the pills when they are good and reject them when they are poison.

by GreenMother on Sun May 18, 2014 at 11:42:49 AM PDT

•  FYI: sugar does not cause hyperactivity (2+ / 0-)
      AaronInSanDiego, denise b

It's an old and popular meme, along with other diet based explanations for the cause of ADHD, but that doesn't make it true.

All these years, millions of kids with real neurologically based ADHD, unadressed because parents and ignorant doctors thought they had just eaten too much sugar (or whatever fad cause was popular at the time).

"Tell the truth and run." -- Yugoslav proverb

by quill on Sun May 18, 2014 at 08:32:45 AM PDT

•  Challenge Accepted. (2+ / 0-)
        quill, RMForbes

You lock yourself in daycare setting with 2 to 8 yr olds for a four our period. I will slide a bag of candy and some soda pop through the window.

Your mission: SURVIVE long enough to cling to this story.

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA.

by GreenMother on Sun May 18, 2014 at 11:44:19 AM PDT

•  ok, prove this assertion with scientific evidence (2+ / 0-)
          denise b, ExpatGirl

Peer reviewed scientific evidence that sugar makes normal kids hyperactive. If you google this you will learn that this has been refuted.

The whole debate about ADHD and ADD, is riddled from all sides with false beliefs and assumptions (like "sugar makes kids hyper"), cherry picked anecdotes, CT and prejudices of various kinds. Some of the comments in this diary are prime examples.

"Tell the truth and run." -- Yugoslav proverb

by quill on Sun May 18, 2014 at 12:25:32 PM PDT

•  You are making a ridiculous argument (0+ / 0-)

Anyone with the slightest modicum of self awareness has experienced how our body's energy level and our mood changes with changes in diet. It's not much of a leap to extrapolate our own personal experience with refined sugar and highly processed foods onto our children.

We have also seen quite a few of these so called peer reviewed scientific evidence manipulated to prove poisons like nicotine are totally safe for human consumption. I tend to look deeper into a topic and don't necessarily trust those so called scientific studies that argue against things that can be experienced on the personal level.

I have seen quite of few of these studies that have been made irrelevant by narrowly defining terms and the scope of investigation. The human brain is a highly complex system and refined sugar may or may not operate directly on the mechanism thought to produce ADHD and ADD. However, that does not mean that it does not have an indirect affect on these disorders.

Personally, I'm not willing to take the risk on my children and so teach them the value of whole foods and the danger of refined sugar and processed foods.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My words but a whisper -- your deafness a SHOUT. I may make you feel but I can't make you think..Jethro Tull

by RMForbes on Sun May 18, 2014 at 01:43:25 PM PDT

•  Sugar and additives produce temporary (1+ / 0-)
              quill

side effects.

ADHD and ADD are constant.

My children eat whole foods with no additives. Junk food is confined to Fridays. Occasionally, they may sneak a candy bar or soda during the week without me knowing but their diet is very controlled.

For years, TV and video games were also confined to Fridays and Saturdays. We read books, play games and play outdoors.

And yet ADHD/ADD is still a constant factor for my youngest.

The fact that you aren't willing to 'risk' your children means that you aren't dealing with the reality that I deal with. I watched my child being destroyed by ADHD/ADD despite constant dietary control, positive behavioral modification, counseling, etc., etc., etc. Medication wasn't a 'risk', it was a salvation.

Tell Warner Brothers Pictures that Rooney Mara is #NotYourTigerLily.

by ExpatGirl on Sun May 18, 2014 at 02:30:41 PM PDT

•  I was not arguing against medication per se (0+ / 0-)

and I'm sure there are genetic factors in ADHD and ADD. But I don't think that any so called scientific study could completely eliminate refined sugar and processed foods as aggravating factors. When someone claims there is no connection and they have scientific proof I get very skeptical. I remember the studies that declared that smoking and GMO's are all completely safe. I don't buy it.

by RMForbes on Sun May 18, 2014 at 02:50:04 PM PDT

•  thanks for sharing your story (3+ / 0-)
                ExpatGirl, chimene, wa ma

As someone dealing with ADD all his life, I've spent a lot of time looking into causes and "cures". The dietary cause theory realthere'sgs me because there's never been any real evidence for it, it's been refuted, and yet even doctors will still repeat this useless solution.

ADHD/ADD is real, and is not a figment of people's imaginations. It's neuralogically based. People have it from birth through adulthood. It's not caused by diet or environment. It's not caused by watching too much TV and video games, or not playing outside enough.

Children with ADD/ADHD can learn to cope with their different thinking style (it will never be cured) with a combination of behavioral therapy (especially mindfulness training), special educational assistance, good parenting and yes, in many cases medication.

Personally, I see this "disorder" as not so much a disability but merely a different way of processing and reacting to the world than most people have. The disfunction is really caused by our modern industrial society's intolerance of any but "normal" thinkers.

My wife is moderately to strongly ADHD and is a public school math teacher. She recognizes ADHD kids right away (even if their parents are oblivious or in denial) and, whereas another teacher might write them off, she applies a range of alternative teaching methods based on her own experience to help them learn. And they do learn.

"Tell the truth and run." -- Yugoslav proverb

by quill on Sun May 18, 2014 at 05:07:48 PM PDT

•  rejecting science is what's "ridiculous" (0+ / 0-)

You're making a "truthy" argument, rejecting the research that refutes the "sugar causes ADHD" idea because it doesn't conform to your popular culture based beliefs.

Sugar is really bad for lots of reasons and we should all greatly reduce our consumption of it. But, it has no effect on hyperactivity.

"Tell the truth and run." -- Yugoslav proverb

by quill on Sun May 18, 2014 at 04:06:32 PM PDT

•  I do not reject science at all (0+ / 0-)

I reject your argument that there is no possible connection between diet and ADHD and ADD because some so called scientific study said so. There are also similar studies that say they provide absolute 'proof' that GMO's are completely safe as well...I don't buy that either. I don't deny the process of science but I am very skeptical of the conclusions drawn only when the conclusions don't necessarily follow from the evidence.

by RMForbes on Sun May 18, 2014 at 04:45:17 PM PDT

•  Hell I am not even bringing ADD or ADHD into (1+ / 0-)
                  RMForbes

this conversation.

CANDY + Children = CHAOS.

PERIOD.

And the more kids you got together eating the candy, the effect is magnified.

I really truly could give a flying rats ass about what Science has to say.

Scientists don't run daycares, or baby sit. Some kids may be slightly less responsive to the candy than others, but they all respond.

If you want your kid to behave, then you always make sure before whatever event, that they have a bit of protein, carbs and water.

If you want your kid to act like a Reaver (shades of Firefly) give them a handful of candy and step out of the way.

by GreenMother on Mon May 19, 2014 at 04:36:34 AM PDT

•  With all due respect (0+ / 0-)

You are seriously misunderstanding what ADHD actually is.

Tell Warner Brothers Pictures that Rooney Mara is #NotYourTigerLily.

by ExpatGirl on Mon May 19, 2014 at 06:11:17 AM PDT

•  I repeat: (1+ / 0-)
                      nchristine
                      Hell I am not even bringing ADD or ADHD into
                      this conversation.
                      I am speaking to the subthread about feeding kids candy and convincing oneself that it doesn't affect their behavior.

by GreenMother on Tue May 20, 2014 at 05:19:47 PM PDT