View Diary: Magnetic Field Effects On Ocean Currents (21 comments)

•  I'm Missing the Overarching Verb. (3+ / 0-)
    Mike Kahlow, kbman, LakeSuperior

All sorts of stuff may be affected if what?

I'm calling technobabble salad on this.

Those pointing to glacial melt can show how the intrusion of fresh water can stop the Gulf Stream. They have shown how a warming arctic can send winter storms into New Jersey and New York City, and polar winter air into Kentucky.

I'd like to see one clear prediction of a change in ocean currents resulting from this interaction. So for anyone worked up about the electromagnetic effects and influences of ocean currents:

The Gulf Stream is a big circular current in a magnetic field. That ought to present an opportunity to predict how a change in the current will affect the magnetic field, or how a change in the field would affect the current.

Since we WERE due for an ice age in around a thousand years before we began supercharging the atmosphere with CO2 levels double to triple anything seen at each extreme of the ice age and warming cycles of the last half million years, I'm going to feel pretty safe betting against anything relating to the present anthro climate change or the magnetic field putting us back onto the track for pending ice age.

by Gooserock on Mon May 19, 2014 at 04:06:37 PM PDT

•  Seconded. This diary reads as technobabble. (3+ / 0-)
      alx9090, kbman, LakeSuperior

I was just reading this through and thinking "techno word salad". You beat me to it.

The author is going to have to work pretty hard to convince me that the earth's magnetic field is concentrating oxygen at the poles.

Screw John Galt. Who's John Doe?

by Mike Kahlow on Mon May 19, 2014 at 04:12:11 PM PDT

•  You're a Chemistry proffessor so I won't dumb this (0+ / 0-)

down for you. Okay Mike?

The para-magnetic effect on oxygen amounts to a slight forcing function, having to do with the difference between relative concentrations between cold dense air going South and warm less dense air going back North at a higher altitude. Oxygen is slightly heavier than Nitrogen so it is more concentrated at lower altitudes and colder temperatures. It is an issue of a slight effect on momentum.

The magneto-hydrodynamic effects stem from the Lorentz force. Heavy duty magnetic brakes on large vehicles use this principal to quickly stop giant wheels carrying enormous loads. The magnetic field accelerates free charges in the material at right angles to the direction of travel. This effect, referred to as ion separation  produces the change in momentum.

Even tiny forces can have visible effects as they are summed over large volumes and long distances.

Thanks for sharing!

Peace, Love, and Prosperity. See more on the R. Crosby Lyles channel on YouTube.

by Rich Lyles on Mon May 19, 2014 at 07:45:49 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the reply. (2+ / 0-)
          LakeSuperior, Ozy

Now if you could translate that into an actual force with a magnitude & units, and compare it with other forces that might exist & be acting on the dioxygen molecule, that would be helpful.

Or even better, give me a reference that illustrates that the effect that you mention is actually significant.

Thanks for helping me out here, because I am just a chemistry proffessor.

Screw John Galt. Who's John Doe?

by Mike Kahlow on Mon May 19, 2014 at 07:53:03 PM PDT

•  Come to think of it, don't bother. (1+ / 0-)
            LakeSuperior

I've wasted enough time here in your diary.

I do love the way you use my academic background as an insult, BTW. Nice little bit of anti-intellectualism, especially the way you misspelled it the title.

Usually get that from republicans.

Screw John Galt. Who's John Doe?

by Mike Kahlow on Mon May 19, 2014 at 08:05:02 PM PDT

•  No actually, that's not an intentional misspell. (0+ / 0-)

I misspell things all the time. I have entire diaries devoted to my infamous misspellings.

I am a democrat, and not anti-intellectual in the least. I would love to be an intellectual elitist though. Sadly however,  that is probably not in the cards.

by Rich Lyles on Mon May 19, 2014 at 08:59:08 PM PDT

•  Carbon emissions amount to a forcing function on (0+ / 0-)

an oscillating system - weather. The verb is "synergistic reaction" how does the(never discussed in this context) changing magnetic field affect the forcing function already on everyone's lips?
      The effects of a changing magnetic field are  probably just sauce for the goose. You've made some interesting points though. Why don't you write a diary about it?

by Rich Lyles on Mon May 19, 2014 at 08:06:59 PM PDT

• Hillary Clinton (22)
  • Texas (21)
  • Racism (20)
  • Media (20)
  • Environment (20)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site