View Diary: Poll finds new high in support for marriage equality, with young people leading the way (38 comments)

•  Even seniors have come around (15+ / 0-)

Up 28% since 1996, and up 1% since last year.

Many of them are seeing grandchildren coming out and bringing the LOTL (Love Of Their Life) to Thanksgiving dinner. They've seen those LOTLs become part of the extended family. And they've seen the joy on the faces of their loved one, and realize that it's the same joy that they've felt with their beloved (assuming they've had a reasonably content marriage).

So folks, keep coming out -- to your families, to your friends, to your co-workers. You're all blazing the trail for the future when the only worry about marriage equality will be increasing the wedding present budget.

by Cali Scribe on Wed May 21, 2014 at 08:16:56 AM PDT

•  I recall hearing about this effect when DADT ended (6+ / 0-)

People suddenly found out about the "other side" of life for their  co-workers, and realized that most people have very similar domestic lives, regardless of orientation.

•  I had several "out" work colleagues (3+ / 0-)
        Uncle Moji, nerafinator, AJayne

back in the 1980s in my first full-time job after I left college. (The CEO of our company was a Republican, but didn't care who people slept with as long as it didn't impact profits.) Working alongside them and realizing they had the same issues I did with relationships and paying bills and all the other stuff folks in their 20s and 30s deal with helped me put aside a lot of my mom's teaching that gays are "icky" and accept them as just like me.

by Cali Scribe on Wed May 21, 2014 at 10:05:11 AM PDT

•  Actually, I think that more people are figuring (1+ / 0-)
      AJayne

out that same sex marriage won't affect their lives,  so why worry about it?

•  That's the case for younger voters (0+ / 0-)

(many of whom are evaluating their own personal need for marriage), but for older folks who are still stuck in traditional models, it's a harder transition. The fact that so many have made that transition (and granted, some of the increase might be due to folks in the 50-64 age group reaching that 65+ threshold) is encouraging.

by Cali Scribe on Wed May 21, 2014 at 10:07:21 AM PDT

•  More seniors than middle aged people (0+ / 0-)

That's interesting.

As a senior myself (gasp) I've never been against it.

O great creator of being grant us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives. ::: Jim Morrison :::

by Kevanlove on Wed May 21, 2014 at 11:24:30 AM PDT

•  Or look at it multiplicatively: support (1+ / 0-)
      AJayne

among seniors has tripled since 1996, and slightly more than tripled in the 50-64 group.

•  Also many weren't seniors 8 years ago. (0+ / 0-)

That, in its essence, is fascism--ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt --

by enhydra lutris on Wed May 21, 2014 at 03:25:33 PM PDT