View Diary: It's about time this culture had a serious discussion about PTSD (202 comments)

•  Probably (15+ / 0-)

Or anyone who has been a victim of gun violence.

I will let every business owner know--that unless you are a gun store, if I see idiots with guns hanging out all over-- I wont be spending money at your establishment.

I have had more than enough crazy in my life without courting that kind of trouble.

Licensed owners that legally conceal don't worry me as much because they had to take classes, but idiots toting guns around in the open like they are toys? Those people scare me for a variety of reasons.

"It were a thousand times better for the land if all Witches, but especially the blessing Witch, might suffer death." qtd by Ehrenreich & English. For Her Own Good, Two Centuries of Expert's Advice to Women pp 40

by GreenMother on Sun May 25, 2014 at 07:34:11 AM PDT

•  Ditto. nt (12+ / 0-)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

by Joy of Fishes on Sun May 25, 2014 at 07:47:54 AM PDT

•  My older brother traumatized me (15+ / 0-)

by pointing a gun at my head. I truly believed he would kill me. A 9mm gun sets me off. Even if I see one of those idiots carrying one on television. The Bundy thing had me hypervigilant. I inherited the house we grew up in and he believed that because he is the only male of the surviving family, he should get everything.

After he pointed the gun at me, I went into my house and got my shotgun. I chased him down and ran him off the road. I showed him the gun and told him if he ever came to the house again, I would shoot him. He didn't come back but he drove by slowly 4-5 times a day. That set me off.

He has had several strokes now and he hired a man to call me and tell me that the house would be burned down with me in it. My dogs would be killed. The accomplice used throw away phones and no one could trace the calls.

Knowing that he is incapacitated has given me some relief but I still worry when I see a white short bed truck. I have 3 big dogs now that will attack if anyone comes near the yard. I keep one in the house at night. I guess I'll go to my grave worrying about him and being triggered when my sisters tell me that I should help care for him. I'll help care for him when hell freezes over. My dad warned me before he died to never turn my back on my brother. He knew.

"Just when you think you've lost everything, you find out you can lose a little more." Bob Dylan

by weezilgirl on Sun May 25, 2014 at 07:57:18 AM PDT

•  weezilgirl, I hope you have reported this (2+ / 0-)
        FloridaSNMOM, CenPhx

I am sorry that you had to live through and with something like this. How awful.

by GreenMother on Sun May 25, 2014 at 01:56:01 PM PDT

•  My sisters turned on me when I said (3+ / 0-)
          FloridaSNMOM, CenPhx, GreenMother

I was going to go to the sheriff. My  sisters are two very "christian christians". They told me they would refute everything I said about him. They raised enough hell that I moved. They now deny he pulled a gun on me.

Enabling can be a very deadly process within a family. He has been enabled by the sisters since he was in his 30s. He is 79 now.

Like I said, I've changed. They obviously haven't made any effort to see life differently. I rarely see them. My entire family is Republican. I don't go to any family gatherings.

by weezilgirl on Sun May 25, 2014 at 06:52:41 PM PDT

•  Tell anyway. Do what you can do and let the (1+ / 0-)
            weezilgirl

chips fall where they may. Be safe.

by GreenMother on Mon May 26, 2014 at 06:36:18 AM PDT

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site