View Diary: It's about time this culture had a serious discussion about PTSD (202 comments)

•  Me too. (11+ / 0-)
    I found some of the discussion of trigger warnings over the last couple days to be so cavalier about the potential impact of triggers that I couldn't read further.
    You either know because you have lived it, or you don't because you have never been affected this way.

Cavalier is easy for those who have never been affected by this.

"It were a thousand times better for the land if all Witches, but especially the blessing Witch, might suffer death." qtd by Ehrenreich & English. For Her Own Good, Two Centuries of Expert's Advice to Women pp 40

by GreenMother on Sun May 25, 2014 at 07:53:11 AM PDT

•  For years I did not bring up my (9+ / 0-)

nursing experiences (critical care) because there was no recognition. EMTs, cops and firefighters have been recognized, and not adequately treated. Nurses had a positive preliminary study in Switzerland several years ago, I'm waiting for a more expanded one.

On a 1-10 scale, my experiences are personally pretty low - I was never in much danger. It does give me insight on what my patients and others go through.

This is something we need to talk more about and you did an excellent job with the diary.  Thanks.

by Ginny in CO on Sun May 25, 2014 at 09:12:52 AM PDT

•  But watching someone suffer and being unable (7+ / 0-)

to save them or alleviate their terror or pain is a trauma unto itself and needs to be recognized and dealt with.

by GreenMother on Sun May 25, 2014 at 10:11:45 AM PDT

•  it isn't the event (0+ / 0-)

it's the way it's perceived in the mind.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

by anna shane on Sun May 25, 2014 at 11:05:57 AM PDT

•  Reality as we know it is premised on perception (3+ / 0-)
            FloridaSNMOM, Ginny in CO, anna shane

Don't minimize the emotional charge of terrible events. This is what helps us be moral human beings. Being able to recognize the horrible, the painful and the depraved, and not inflict that on others is in large part, our humanity.

by GreenMother on Sun May 25, 2014 at 11:54:02 AM PDT

•  i wasn't (1+ / 0-)
              FloridaSNMOM

some events seem obviously terrible and some seem less so, but if it strikes in the 'right' place there can be great emotional damage.  It isn't how someone else perceives it, it's how it's experienced.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

by anna shane on Sun May 25, 2014 at 02:19:57 PM PDT

•  It is the event that comes back to mind, (3+ / 0-)
            GreenMother, FloridaSNMOM, CenPhx

with all the emotions that were triggered then. I am a reality based person. There is no way the mind does not perceive as horror a 4 year old girl and 8 year old boy being burned beyond recognition.

One of the triggers is a smell - often associated with memories. A skin cream that is still used for burns will do it every time.

by Ginny in CO on Sun May 25, 2014 at 01:33:35 PM PDT

•  yes (1+ / 0-)
              FloridaSNMOM

and I can't imagine anyone that would not be affected by that event.  But there are much less obvious experiences that can also be the source of trauma. You can't say it isn't trauma by thinking the event wasn't traumatic enough. And any traumatic event will have triggers, even though the sufferer might not get the same amount of sympathy as in the case you reference.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

by anna shane on Sun May 25, 2014 at 02:23:24 PM PDT

•  Your statement was that perception of the (2+ / 0-)
                FloridaSNMOM, GreenMother

event is the basis of the trauma. There have been comments to the effect that there are many ways people are traumatized that don't fit the general concepts of trauma.

I understand and agree with that.  Each individual experiences life differently, so what might traumatize one does not seem as bad to another.  I think it depends on how unsafe the person feels, how in control of their own situation they are. That is often difficult to feel  confident about.

The other experience that comes back is my grandfather's first and only attempt to groom me for sex. I knew it was both wrong and something ugly I wanted no part of. While I can remember his words, lips and eyes, I also remember realizing how much smaller he was. I took off to play with my cousins and stayed away from him.  The sense that he couldn't overcome me was strong enough to overcome the fear and disgust.

Perception is based on memory. A new experience will have few memories that can be used to process it.

by Ginny in CO on Sun May 25, 2014 at 05:34:50 PM PDT

•  I read this diary because Crashing Vor (6+ / 0-)

recommended I do so. When I first saw the title I hesitated. Sometimes the words "trigger warning" become the trigger. I suppose I should go for a walk and repeat them while watching cars. Time and some controlled, rational thought have helped me lessen the effects of certain sounds and words. Oddly enough, going through cancer ten years prior to my accident gave me resources too. I truly can't recommend having an "interesting" life.

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." Mohandas Gandhi

by cv lurking gf on Sun May 25, 2014 at 10:31:26 AM PDT