View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Texas runoff liveblog #2 (154 comments)

•  nuance (5+ / 0-)
    Ottoe, GleninCA, Lujane, Zwenkau, Scott Martin

IF there was any chance for Republicans to break their straight-ticket voting patterns, I think it would have been for Davis as LG against an inferior opponent.

Here are my reasons (well, to be fair, more opinions since I can't prove much of it other than I've lived here for 16 years and seen how pathetic the average Texan takes their civic obligation to stay informed):

1.  Texans still think the governor has a lot of power, and more importantly drives the economy (this is the only smart thing Perry has done--  convincing most of the electorate that the Texas economy thrives because he's a pro-business Republican).  Voting for a Democrat at the top is still too hard for most, since that's more like "turning the car keys over" than LG, despite the almost equal power.

2.  Everyone knew Abbot was likely going to be the nominee and would be formidable and have a war chest.

3.  Nobody knew about LG, but it looked all along it could be the doofus Dewhurst again (who nobody really likes) or a TP nut.  We got the TP nut.

4.  HERE IS WHERE DAVIS COMES OVER LETICIA--  Davis was always going to have more wattage and more importantly money than Leticia.  So, she could have had a better chance breaking through to persuade some voters to give her a chance (while Republicans would still largely be in control).  Again, this is a low-information state.  It's the opposite of a place like Massachusetts where average folks enjoy the sport of following politics.  To won requires MASSIVE amounts of money to run media in the 2nd most populous state.

Here's what it comes down to--  before Texas evolves to purple fully, the best chance the Democrats have realistically is to try to grab a state office (or in a good year, two).  Dream tickets have proved disastrous.

If you want proof how fucked this state is, just look at how our last candidate for governor, Bill White did in 2010.  He got killed 55-42, even though he was as credible a candidate as you could hope for AND Perry has never been very popular!  You think Davis and demographics is going to erase 13 points in 4 years?  The fact that White never got even a credible sniff by the electorate tells you all you need to know about how frustrating Texas is now.

And unless you live here, please spare me the "we'll never win until we stop being pessimistic" angle.  This state will be competitive in the future, but Dems need to think strategically for who runs for what in the meantime.

•  Bill White also had zero charisma (1+ / 0-)
      BlackSheep1

and if you are gonna play in Texas, you better have a fiddle in the band.

Davis on the other hand as a nice Ann Richards streak in here, but you probably would have supported Mark White in that primary.

Contrary to popular belief, zombies are quite intelligent and excel in anagrams.

by Patience John on Tue May 27, 2014 at 07:57:36 PM PDT

•  you're kinda making my point... (3+ / 0-)
        Patience John, Lujane, lordpet8

forget the primary, Ann probably barely won in the end because Clayton Williams was a fuck-up of an opponent.  Abbott all along was going to be a much more formidable opponent that Dewhurst or his TP usurper would be.  Thus, if any Democrat is going to thread the needle this year, they'll need a weak opponent as part of the equation.

No doubt White was boring, but the sad part is what percent of the available electorate actually saw him speak at length or watched a debate?  I'd be shocked if it was much more than 10-15%.  White still could have lost it on charisma, but the fact that someone with such a stellar resume couldn't even get people to take that next level of interest in the election is even sadder.

•  There was no debate, Perry never showed. (1+ / 0-)
          Lujane

And somehow White was able to make hay about it.

I say he should have debated a chair, with a nice wig on it.

While I will argue with you tonight, in the general I will do all I can to make you eat crow.

Which if we win, I am sure you will gladly eat. Gonna go all in on Hogan myself. I got a knack for making nobodies national names, though I have retired from active politics for a bit.

Let's see if we can raise the Banner of Lampasas on last time for ol' Hogan.

by Patience John on Tue May 27, 2014 at 08:21:05 PM PDT

•  I worked my @$$ off for Bill White in 2010 (1+ / 0-)
          Lujane

and he was within the margin of error on Sunday before the damn election.

Also? He got every major paper in Texas' endorsement.

It wasn't Charisma. It was MONEY.

Also? Nationwide the Gee O Pee fights to keep Texas.
          The Dems? Use us as an ATM and tell us what morons we are.
          Guess who's gonna win the popular vote acting like that??

LBJ, Van Cliburn, Ike, Wendy Davis, Lady Bird, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Tue May 27, 2014 at 08:57:11 PM PDT

•  In your tagline, you should mention Bentsen /nt (3+ / 0-)
            Lujane, Woody, BlackSheep1

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." - Barack Obama

by anshmishra on Tue May 27, 2014 at 11:07:01 PM PDT

•  anshmishra: who do I cut out for him? (0+ / 0-)

Everybody always wants me to add somebody. Nobody wants to pick the names to delete...

by BlackSheep1 on Wed May 28, 2014 at 02:39:55 PM PDT

•  Ike always considered himself a Kansan (1+ / 0-)
                BlackSheep1

I know... I'm proud Ike was a born Texan, but he never considered himself one. He's buried in Abilene, Kansas. But I suppose in an Ike v. Bentsen standoff, we know who brings home the bacon.

Dear old Texas... What a great state!

by anshmishra on Wed May 28, 2014 at 06:40:14 PM PDT

•  I could make the case Texas only ever really (1+ / 0-)
                  GleninCA

raised one President and that was LBJ....

by BlackSheep1 on Wed May 28, 2014 at 08:58:27 PM PDT

•  Well... That (0+ / 0-)

That's true. I know he wasn't raised there, but Bush 41 sure lived there for some time. I'm rather fond if the old man. Like Bib Dole: both fossils from an age long past.

by anshmishra on Thu May 29, 2014 at 07:51:24 AM PDT

•  *Bob. Drafted Moto X. /nt (0+ / 0-)

by anshmishra on Thu May 29, 2014 at 07:52:37 AM PDT

•  I kinda felt sorry for Mr. Dole (0+ / 0-)

when he was finally allowed to run -- the Gee O Pee held him in reserve too long. Not that I wanted him to win, mind.
                        But he'd've been a better President NOW than Mitt Romney EVER. So there's that.

I remember LBJ: he was President when I was in grade school.

Vietnam sucked, and he got blamed for that. I don't know, since I wasn't in the office listening, how he reached some of the decisions he did on it, but ... well. I give him credit for doing so much for poor folks here at home.

More like that, please.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu May 29, 2014 at 08:19:50 AM PDT

•  LBJ was a damn good president. (1+ / 0-)
                          BlackSheep1

The Great Society worked pretty well, but I'm quite impressed hearing this. You've seen quite a bit.

My parents emigrated from India in the '80s and Barack Obama was elected president when I was in elementary school. I remember the tail end of the Shrub era, but I didn't start paying attention to any of this until 2011.

As for Bob Dole... The old breed of Republicans was FAR superior to this current disgraceful crop, and Bob Dole is the finest example.

'Sides the GOP could never really run him. In '76 he was Ford's running mate, in '80 he was a joke candidate, in '88 Bush (rightly so) won the nomination. 1996 was the earliest real chance he could get!

by anshmishra on Thu May 29, 2014 at 01:53:56 PM PDT

•  my liberality is cumulative (0+ / 0-)

and contextual.

I'm a farm kid, a Texan, a mom, a veteran, a married woman with a history of divorce, and I've busted my tail in a variety of efforts over lo these way more than I want to admit years.

Thank you for what you said about LBJ.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu May 29, 2014 at 05:42:44 PM PDT

•  It wasn't money -- White raised $27 million (0+ / 0-)

And a strong GOP year in retrospect was going to make it hard for White to win.

Barack Obama for President '12

by v2aggie2 on Wed May 28, 2014 at 07:20:46 AM PDT

•  Perry got $5 MILLION the Monday Before Election (1+ / 0-)
              GleninCA

in an ad buy -- the radio turned into Li'l Ricky's Cheering Section.

by BlackSheep1 on Wed May 28, 2014 at 08:27:42 AM PDT

•  Born, raised Texan and lived here 56 years. (5+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades, BlackSheep1, hbk, Lujane, Woody

I don't disagree that it's a tough row to hoe, and that White's totals should give us the shivers. You've well pointed out why you think it aint going to happen for a while. Using your logic, Wendy's snowball in hell chance for G should cause the same result if she ran for LG.

You're overestimating Wendy's appeal in Texas, it seems to me in declaring her viable for LG while the rest of the ticket would be goners. Maybe you're right. My issue is that I believe you are grossly underestimating Patricia's appeal, at least when comparing her with Wendy.

“I’m able to fly, do what I want, essentially. I guess that’s what freedom is — no limits.” Marybeth Onyeukwu -- Brooklyn DREAMer.

by chuco35 on Tue May 27, 2014 at 08:14:37 PM PDT