View Diary: WYFP? Arthroscopic Meniscectomy Edition (174 comments)

•  Drug withdrawal (11+ / 0-)

particularly from antidepressants is a terrible experience, I'm sorry for that. A number of years ago my doctor put me on Paxil for minor depression and anxiety issues. That drug fucked me up something awful and set me on a path of total destruction which I am only able to see in retrospect. When I finally got off of it the withdrawal was incredibly intense, much worse than withdrawing from benzodiazapines, which is no great shakes in and of itself.

WHat are you doing for the migraines no that the tricycles is out of the picture?

•  bastrop, I don't think I have them (8+ / 0-)

I've had a bunch of concussions in my life, and two that I had in 2011 left me with post-concussion syndrome.  That messes up my balance and cognition, my eyesight...very annoying, and my neurologist keeps trying for something that can help.

He sent me to Dr. Ear, who had already-printed sheets about this condition with preprinted anti-migraine diets and a preprinted diagnosis.  I have run into so many of these guys - the cornea doctor who told me that if I drank half a cup of fish oil a day I'd be fine, then offered his book on fish oil for a reduced price.

I only took it for six days.  Thank heaven.  It's the anxiolytic, one of the Dreaded Benzos.  It worked very well.  This one...not so well, at least until the other drug works its way out of my system and we get my dosage adjusted.

It's weird.  I've taken a few SSRIs in my life, and stopped taking them cold with very few problems.  They say the plurality of people don't get SSRI discontinuation syndrome, but from what I've heard, people like me are in the minority.

"Republicans are poor losers and worse winners." - My grandmother, sometime in the early 1960s

by escapee on Sat May 24, 2014 at 06:28:44 PM PDT

•  wait, your benzo is being discontinued? (8+ / 0-)

Which one is that, they are all generic now. I have never heard of a discontinued benzo.

Benzos are dreaded when abused, but when needed they are a blessing. And a curse, but mostly a blessing.

•  Klonopin name brand (7+ / 0-)

It doesn't pay Roche to produce it, so few people can take it anymore.  My insurance company has a loophole where if the doctor says the name brand is medically necessary, it comes  at the generic rate.

It was a blessing to me.

by escapee on Sat May 24, 2014 at 06:43:30 PM PDT

•  yes, but the generic equivalents (4+ / 0-)
            JeffW, escapee, Yo Bubba, ladybug53

are equivalent. I have heard many people over the years argue that brand names were more potent. I personally believe that is placebo, but who knows. Regardless (or "irregardless" if you are my Republican neighbor who never shuts up) the generic would still provide your relief.
            Clonazepam is a bear to kick for most people as it is so long acting. Glad you didn't get WD's.

•  From what I have heard, FDA regulations allow (4+ / 0-)
              nchristine, bastrop, escapee, Yo Bubba

generics to vary by up to 10% in strength from the brand name medication (or each other).

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat May 24, 2014 at 07:51:00 PM PDT

•  That is incorrect. (6+ / 0-)

FDA requires generics to contain the exact same dosages of a bioequivalent active ingredients, meaning it must be absorbed and processed by the body in exactly the same way.

The deviation you cite is a misconception based on formulas used to calculate bioequivalence. That has made it's way around popular understanding of generics and hails from Pharma disinformation campaigns against generics. And it's just as incorrect as it was way back when.

That gets perpetuated now by consumers who believe their generics aren't as strong as the brand names. In my experience (and I know a lot of these people) on the internet they are largely people who abuse prescription narcotics, benzos and stimulants and are grasping at justifications for their tolerances.

•  All I know is (5+ / 0-)
                  Yo Bubba, nchristine, bastrop, JeffW, TiaRachel

that I have to use a mail-order pharmacy (rhymes with Depressed Slips), and that they get whatever's cheapest that buying period.  I've taken several different generics.  Some worked, some just didn't.  It was much easier for me to get the name brand through my local pharmacy, Ballpeen's, to insure some consistency.

But it isn't available through my mail-order company anymore, or from Ballpeen's, or any other retail pharmacy in Delaware, and they all had the same story: unavailable because it's not being produced any longer.  So we went with another, and you are right: it's a bear.

by escapee on Sun May 25, 2014 at 05:49:52 AM PDT

•  If you were using mail order (3+ / 0-)
                    JeffW, nchristine, escapee

it possible some of the meds were coming from India and China, in which case there is no FDS standard and quality varies. This is always a gamble.

As to WD switching benzos, if you switch to a shorter acting one (which all are after clonalepam, the second longest lasting being diazepam (valium) ) then you are going to get WD's and you are going to have to take more. It is also a good way to trigger your body into drug seeking mode because you are feeling awful and you want to feel well, so people tend to take more. I hope they chose diazepam. If it's xanax you might consider asking to switch to valium. Xanax is a should stealing drug when used this way. I have seen it so many times.

•  Same thing here, in brick-and-mortar pharmacies. (3+ / 0-)
                      escapee, bastrop, nchristine

Technically equivalent is just not (always) identical. Sometimes changing the manufacturer doesn't matter, sometimes it causes uncomfortably noticeable side effects. Enough people (including physicians) have noted this that I'm more comfortable assuming that human bodies (& drug metabolism, etc) are complex and not well-enough understood than that all those people are imagining things (because of course drug manufacturing/regulation/etc is straightforward & generally not flawed).

I know that you who hear my singing make those freedom bells go ringing. And so we keep on while we live, until we have no more to give... Don't you know it's darkest before the dawn. This thought keeps me moving on. Pete Seeger bit.ly/1bwCmhK

by TiaRachel on Sun May 25, 2014 at 01:44:33 PM PDT

•  They did, and I feel much better (2+ / 0-)
                      bastrop, nchristine

I've heard too many horror stories about Xanax to take it.

by escapee on Sun May 25, 2014 at 03:04:23 PM PDT

•  Not always. (2+ / 0-)
              bastrop, nchristine

Technically, sure, but not always in action. And it's not just a brand-name placebo effect -- I've noticed differences when the pharmacist has given me generics from a different manufacturer.

by TiaRachel on Sun May 25, 2014 at 01:30:24 PM PDT

•  I forgot to say that I've had a scope for (9+ / 0-)

a torn meniscus.

It was more of an annoyance than a struggle.  It was unstable and painful, and the pain of the surgery was much less than that of the knee.  And they have so many nice toys - ice machines, suction thingies so you can take a shower with the knee covered, removable casts.

You'll feel so much better.

by escapee on Sat May 24, 2014 at 06:41:03 PM PDT