View Diary: Blacklisting the rainbow (263 comments)

•  Sheer genius, this song. :) n/t (4+ / 0-)

An angry white man with a gun is a patriot. An angry Muslim man with a gun is a terrorist. An angry black man with a gun is a corpse. -- raptavio

by Yasuragi on Sun Jun 01, 2014 at 10:47:32 AM PDT

•  Yes indeed (4+ / 0-)

It was also one of those songs where the older I got the more words I understood. lol Never fully got it until I was an adult.

Two hundred fifty years of slavery. Ninety years of Jim Crow. Sixty years of separate but equal. Thirty-five years of racist housing policy. Until we reckon with our compounding moral debts, America will never be whole. - Ta-Nehisi Coates

by moviemeister76 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 at 11:04:46 AM PDT

•  I remember asking my folks what "begat" (3+ / 0-)

meant.  Never shy about those things, they answered, and I was astounded there was a song about it.  I was around seven.

by Yasuragi on Sun Jun 01, 2014 at 11:58:07 AM PDT

•  Ha! (3+ / 0-)

I knew what the word "begat" was as I used to try and read my grandmother's Bible when I was in kindergarten. So I just looked at the song as another version of Genesis as a kid. It wasn't until I was older that I found it much more amusing.

by moviemeister76 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 at 12:16:03 PM PDT

•  Ah -- no bibles around my home. (3+ / 0-)

No religious books at all.

by Yasuragi on Sun Jun 01, 2014 at 02:39:23 PM PDT

•  Can't even imagine (3+ / 0-)

My mom forced me to go to church until I was 16. And my dad had planned on being a preacher until around the time I was born. Oddly enough, though, it was the fact that they never actually discussed Christianity or even talked about God that led to my questioning it at a young age.

by moviemeister76 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 at 03:01:09 PM PDT