View Diary: Burr doubles down on his attack on veterans' groups (103 comments)

•  To Burr - and then what????? (14+ / 0-)

If one follows any sort of logic, that would lead a vacuum at the top of the VA in DC....so then what happens.   Without someone in charge ( aka at the top)  a legitimate investigation into a number of VA hospitals across the nation goes NO WHERE - and the heads of VA hospitals - do they get a pass?  do they get their bonus...and this cycle will go through another wash repeat cycle.

•  They should all be required to serve a tour. (18+ / 0-)

Those coddled trust fund babes should be required to serve at least one overseas tour 'up front' if they expect to be called 'leaders' of the next generation.

I will gladly fund any verified combat veteran running for office and major change to our political processes.

photo 581041_564883620271363_1527749821_n_zps28ee3ba6.jpg

If the Old Testament were a reliable guide in the matter of capital punishment, half the people in the United States would have to be killed tomorrow. ~ Steve Allen

by Gordon20024 on Wed May 28, 2014 at 05:03:08 PM PDT

Each one of them put them on a military plane, 15 minutes before, get a gunny giving orders, get these clothes on 5 minutes, let him use that training.
        Dump them, board those that will replace the shit for brains politicians!
        Listen idiot! DON'T EVER TURN THE GAME BACK ON US VETERANS! I DISPISE THAT BABY ASSWIPE MENTALITY OF ITS NOT US ITS THEM GAME!
        THE VA IN DALLAS SUCKS. AND THEY JUST MESSED WITH ONE VETERAN WHO HAS NOT A DAMN THING TO LOOSE, AND WILL CALL YOU OUT!
        FUNNY, THEY THINK I WON'T HAVE A CLUE WITH MY RECORDS? OH, I HAVE MORE THAN A CLUE, "IT IS A LEGAL DOCUMENT, IT WILL NOT PROTECT THE LIARS AND GAME PLAYERS, NOPE, TOO LATE FOR YOU TO ADD OR SUBTRACT A DAMN WORD." AS STATED WHEN I CALLED THAT HOUSE WE ALL OWN, "SINGLE LAW SUIT OR CLASS ACTION, TAKE YOUR PICK!"
        PAST TIME TO TAKE THE COUNTRY BACK, AND SEND THE SELF SERVING MADE TONS OF MONEY BUT DONT EARN IT, TO MARS!

•  Thank you... (8+ / 0-)

For your service!  It sounds like you are having a frustrating time dealing with the VA.  For that, I am so sorry!  As a nation, we owe a debt to those who have served & we are failing to make good.  But, I did want to say thank you, in case you haven't heard it lately.

•  Check to see if there is a LAMP group at your VA (2+ / 0-)
          Gordon20024, Lilredhead

hospital.  Seriously, I know what you are going through, been there, done that.  LAMP is great at cutting through the red tape.  I can't tell you how much they have helped me deal with the VA for my husband.  They know how to get things done, and fast.  I spent 4 months on the phone begging for help getting a ramp for my house so I could bring my husband home from rehab.  I knew they had them.  One of my co workers husband was a vet and had one.  Yet they told me they didn't exist.  If you don't get the right people with the answers, they will swear they don't have the answers anywhere.  Then we found LAMP, my husband was enrolled and magic happened.  In two weeks, we got the ramp.  I can call or send an e-mail tomorrow about a need my husband has and within 24 hours have an answer and be started on the road to getting what we need.

•  I see you're new here. Dkos doesn't get into (1+ / 0-)
          Lilredhead

the game of calling opponents 'baby ass wipes' or rants in all caps.

We try to have a more helpful and action directed approach to solving problems. Please try to direct your energy and fervor to accomplishing a change in your local government and educating your friends and neighbors.

I'm a veteran of 12 years in the Army (1967-79) with 31 months in Vietnam. I don't know or question your credentials regarding your service or your problems with the VA system. I'm not calling you out. Just asking that you concentrate your outrage in a constructive manner, brother.

Good results seldom come from anger. Wars and conflicts seldom solve the underlying problems. Politicians and weapons makers profit by fueling animosity and dividing groups and nations.

There are some very helpful people here that are willing to offer you assistance in navigating the F'up system the VA has in place if you are willing to reach out to them.

You might want to start with this website that'll help you formulate a claim for PTSD or whatever may be troubling you. That one form helped 'speed' my claim along from what would have been a 24 month wait down only 20 months. It's a document they accept and will help a little.

I wish you well and hope you find peace. I've been there.

by Gordon20024 on Thu May 29, 2014 at 08:19:13 PM PDT

•  Roger that. (7+ / 0-)

There should be a law that no president who has not had combat experience, and I mean on-the-ground, feel-the-blast, smell-the-blood, experienced the shit-hitting-the-fan all hell breaking loose around you kind of experience should be able to declare war and only Congressmen and Senators who have had the same experience can have the vote as to whether to approve it or not.

The biggest disappointment of my life was when I figured out that Colin Powell had been co-opted by the Cheney crowd. I really respected him and the "Powell Doctrine." I felt like he'd taken what he'd learned from Vietnam to heart. To this day, I haven't decided whether he was suckered or whether he "soldiered up" and towed the party line. I have watched his UN presentation over and over, and I'm going to allow myself to think that they did a number on him. I don't think for a minute that he didn't have reservations, but without hard intel, he had to go with what they'd given him.

That was a very long way around saying that anyone who hasn't been there doesn't have a clue, and has no business whatsoever thinking they have any right to make that kind of decision . . .

OK. Rant over.

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." -- RFC 1925

by lartwielder on Wed May 28, 2014 at 09:53:37 PM PDT

•  Where are the veterans (3+ / 0-)

who should be in charge of the V.A.? We take care of our own; put one of us in charge and tell demagogues like Burr to go through the proper channels to make their complaints.

The value of an idea has nothing whatsoever to do with the sincerity of the man who expresses it.--Oscar Wilde

by Gene in L A on Thu May 29, 2014 at 11:28:21 AM PDT

•  I think you missed something here (5+ / 0-)

Shinseki is a retired Army four-star, a wounded combat veteran of Vietnam. He hits all the right buttons to run the VA, at least on paper. But it's never as simple as just putting the right person in charge; he or she needs support and resources to get the job done.

•  BTW... (1+ / 0-)
          Gordon20024

Thank you for your service.

•  This particular issue wasn't really about "Who's (1+ / 0-)
          Gordon20024

in charge"

This was more about the demands of middle or upper-middle management that goals of service within a certain time period be met (noble intention, but not terribly well thought out), and the shenanigans that went on to make it appear as though those goals were indeed being met. It made things worse to offer bonuses to meet those goals. The promise of money prompted the unscrupulous to not enter vets into the system until they could be assured of achieving the "Appointment within 15 days" target (I think it was 15 days, though I could be wrong).

Republicans - A pathology, not a party.

by storeysound on Thu May 29, 2014 at 03:44:09 PM PDT

•  VA healthcare is not so much an issue (2+ / 0-)
            Lilredhead, Vetwife

as getting thought the cumbersome process of being approved for care or disability.

When you return from a combat tour minus a leg or arm or with TBI it shouldn't be a two year process to obtain care from the VA.

You can't enlist in the military without both arms and legs and a reasonable mental ability. Why must you prove your current lost of limb(s), hearing or cognitive ability wasn't caused by your verifiable combat related injuries?

The problem with the VA is administrative. Not so much hospital related (although I have a personal issue regarding a surgeon who insisted I undergo PT before the fractured right arm was mended). That resulted in my right arm being 3 inches shorter than my left and utterly useless after the muscles atrophied. But that's another story.

The VA is constructed in such a convoluted manner as to deny Veterans their benefits. A veteran can hobble into a VA claims office on crutches or in a wheelchair and have to prove to the sadistic and unreasonable assholes processing your claim that you are actually, in fact, disabled.

The current process is not only degrading to the veteran but is unnecessary and purely a method to deny combat veterans their rightfully earned compensation/recognition.
             photo 581041_564883620271363_1527749821_n_zps28ee3ba6.jpg

by Gordon20024 on Thu May 29, 2014 at 08:57:33 PM PDT

•  I think (3+ / 0-)
              Gordon20024, Lilredhead, Vetwife

if a person was cleared as physically and mentally fit enough to serve, then any physical or psychological disability they have on return should have to be treated as service-related.  They won't all be, but maybe such a system would lead to improved screening on the front end and faster treatment on the back end.  It might also reduce the number of people deemed eligible to serve, thereby making it harder to engage in wars of choice.

I also think that for every person who is sent to a war zone, a set amount of inflation-adjusted dollars should have to be set aside in a trust account that cannot be tapped for anything except the needs of the returning vets - whether it's medical care, education, job training, or just a dangerous service bonus.  Like Bernie Sanders said, if we can't afford to take care of our vets we should quit sending them to war.

A person may cause evil to others not only by his actions but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury. - John Stuart Mill

by penelope pnortney on Thu May 29, 2014 at 10:43:58 PM PDT

•  It shouldn't take 2 f'ing years to prove (3+ / 0-)

you no longer have your arm or leg! It's visually evident and verified by the service member's medical records. "Look, I don't have a left arm, half of my right leg is still in some f'ing rice patty!

The administration part of the VA is the real problem. Not the healthcare providers. Yes, the hospital staff are among the lowest paid professional staff in the country and that's a disservice and slap in the face to all who have served and protected this nation but veterans have become accustomed to half-assed treatment since WWII.

Acknowledging that there is a problem within the system is, however, new.

Congress opts to force unwanted funds for the DOD at the same time slashing funds for veterans care. Such actions beg the question - how many congress scion are in the military?

by Gordon20024 on Thu May 29, 2014 at 11:32:57 PM PDT

•  A better question is (1+ / 0-)
                  Gordon20024

how many in Congress have ties to the defense industry?

That's what drives defense spending, they don't give a rip about the people who serve.  I mean, really, you'd have to be a bit of a sociopath to be willing to profit off of people's limbs and lives, and then shortchange them when you could vote to fund the services they need.

Someone, somewhere (Maplight.org, probably) has this information laid out in black and white - the source and amount of their campaign donations and how they're voting on legislation.  That needs to be front page news.

by penelope pnortney on Fri May 30, 2014 at 08:29:24 AM PDT

•  Most awesome asssesment Gordon my friend (1+ / 0-)
              Gordon20024

The problem is not new but with all the returning vets that the Bush bunch created ..it is worse but not because of Shinseki... I remember as do you all the Principi types who helped make the VA as non functional as possible...  Those war mongers who did not want oversight is to blame..
              thanks for the rant !!! I loved it.

Just how much Koch do Right Wingers want in their life? . United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Fri May 30, 2014 at 04:10:51 AM PDT

•  Burr exhibits a vacuum at the top... (4+ / 0-)
    •  McCain has proposed the solution -- (9+ / 0-)

Having President-While-Being-Black send in the DOJ and FBI to investigate, at a cost of millions, looking for criminal fraud, instead of curing the underfunding at the root of the problem perpetuated by the Republican'ts, including one named McCain.

In short: McCain proposes to change the subject, while sounding serious and tough 'n law-'n-order, in order to do nothing but perpetuate the underfunding.  After all, the idle rich who aren't creating jobs need tax cuts in order to keep an infinitesimally tiny number of "illegals" employed at less than minimum wage.

This is the country of those three great rights: freedom of conscience, freedom of speech, and the wisdom never to exercise either of them. -- Mark Twain.

by JJustin on Thu May 29, 2014 at 02:12:46 AM PDT

•  Why do we take this old fraud seriously? (7+ / 0-)

He was no hero, he was a songbird informing on the other POWs. He ended up in a POW camp in the first place because of his absolute incompetence as a pilot; he should never have been flying jets at all after his string of accidents, some of them serious, in training, and wouldn't have been if he hadn't been the son and grandson of big shots. He's such a wise politician that he thought Sarah Palin should be one heartbeat away from the oval office. How much more proof of stupidity and lazy-headedness do we need before we put the old coot out to pasture?

•  Keep his military service separate (3+ / 0-)

from his politics. In the past, among ex-military who have entered politics, the successful ones are a small minority. He's a failure as a politician, but he was a good pilot and suffered for it in prison. As a veteran I condemn this trend of vilifying his military record because he's a bad politician. The two have little to nothing to do with each other.

by Gene in L A on Thu May 29, 2014 at 11:36:58 AM PDT