View Diary: Living in a Cage of Man Made Fear (188 comments)

•  More than just 'sense of identify and power' -- (26+ / 0-)

it sells. Cars, beer, sports teams, movies, clothes, pharmaceuticals, pretty much all the consumer goods that drive our modern economy use women and women's bodies as part of their advertising message of enticement, titillation, false promise, and instant gratification.

Great Questions of Western Philosophy: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

by Mnemosyne on Sat May 31, 2014 at 03:41:24 PM PDT

•  Exactly. (14+ / 0-)

It's one of the reasons I hate commercials and avoid the tv.

There is something in us that refuses to be regarded as less than human. We are created for freedom - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

by Onomastic on Sat May 31, 2014 at 04:49:18 PM PDT

•  I reacted to that in the 70s by losing all the (22+ / 0-)

makeup and wearing jeans and hiking boots everywhere I went. I was pretty cute, and my approach was to do everything I could not to be... rather, be just one of the guys. It was a safety measure for me.

The first job I got out of college (we were in a recession and I took what I could get) was a drywall tapers job. I was clueless and was, in fact (didn't know this at the time) pretty much a SCAB. I wasn't union. I was clueless.

I was working on a Sunday (entirely illegal) on a garage job in the rain (more illegal) and turns out the guy I was working with--he related this to me over lunch while munching a sandwich and drinking Jack Daniels--was married to a woman who did lids (ceilings... heavy hard work). He went on to tell his life's story... including the fact he married her after he got out of prison for rape.

There were two of us--no one else around--I tried to pretend not to absolutely freeze in place, but I did and it was probably pretty obvious.

I remember he looked at me and said something akin to "Don't worry, your're safe. You're just one of the guys."

Thank you hiking boots, plain looks and tomboyish mannerisms.  I probably had dry wall mud all over me, too. I was incredibly lousy at the job.

I felt lucky. I felt really lucky.

The only hawk I like is the kind that has feathers. My birding blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

by cany on Sat May 31, 2014 at 07:16:13 PM PDT

•  My gawd cany! (5+ / 0-)
        bkamr, cany, etherealfire, Shuruq, Onomastic

How scary!

Some humans ain't human some people ain't kind. They lie through their teeth with their head up their behind. You open up their hearts and here's what you'll find - Some humans ain't human some people ain't kind. John Prine

by high uintas on Sat May 31, 2014 at 08:17:47 PM PDT

•  It was. It was really scary. I was about 25 at the (14+ / 0-)

time.  And like I wrote, I felt really lucky. Just like the girl who said she hadn't been raped--yet.

The guy I was working with was probably twice my size. I never could have fought him off.  Never.  I used to stand on his shoulders (in big boots) to do hard corners where the big guys couldn't get.

The sad part is that I even had to dress down and go through all that in an attempt to keep safe. But I needed to attract no attention and I knew it. I don't wear makeup to this day.  I still wear jeans and boots.

This happened right after I was out of college where a prof in Igneous Petrology told me I didn't belong in geology because it was a man's field. I had the second highest science scholarship at a HUGE university and I was a damn good student. I couldn't believe it when this came out of his mouth. I just turned around and slammed the door in that fucker's face.

How dare he!

by cany on Sat May 31, 2014 at 09:13:55 PM PDT

•  When my 4.0 daughter was at (11+ / 0-)

CO School of Mines majoring in mech eng, a physics professor informed her she should not be in his class. Because of her IEP for dyslexia.  She took a lot of satisfaction in sharing with her classmates the prof didn't know about Einstein...  She was hired as soon as she graduated - over a guy with 3 years experience.

by Ginny in CO on Sat May 31, 2014 at 11:05:43 PM PDT

•  Yeah for her! (8+ / 0-)

The guy that was so nasty to me was from Canada and pretty young, maybe 35ish with a PhD. You would THINK he would know better.

The older profs were great. I didn't feel any bias from them at all.

When I was out in the field, I used to collect plants and press them and taught a lot of my partners about a few of them that were good soil indicators for geo issues.  I got hammered a bit for that.

My response was that I could look at a hillside and make big sweeping assumptions given the vegetation, including circles on a map for soil disturbance just based on vegetation and that they SHOULD be teaching a field geobotany class for just that reason. Heck, you can aerially map areas just based on vegetation particularly where you have certain known types of soils that support certain plant species.

After I explained to him--and he saw my very different map--he never challenged me again. I got an A on the project, BTW, with a note written on my field report that said it was the only understandable, well written report he'd read.

It took me longer than some to get into the 3D thinking I needed, but once I did, I was hell on wheels:)

by cany on Sat May 31, 2014 at 11:51:59 PM PDT

•  Her prof was older, in years and mind... (6+ / 0-)

The geobotany concept seems so obvious to me, I'm having a hard time grasping it wasn't already a part of the curriculum.

3D thinking is the province of dyslexics. The proper way to describe how they see writing is: 3D in motion. I have no clue how she or her dad ever manage to read.

by Ginny in CO on Sun Jun 01, 2014 at 12:20:36 AM PDT

•  maybe it's part now. wasn't then. I think what (2+ / 0-)
                  Mnemosyne, Ginny in CO

I told him actually peaked his interest. He was an extremely well respected field geologist.

by cany on Sun Jun 01, 2014 at 09:40:34 AM PDT