View Diary: Early morning, Cahuita (95 comments)

•  Ecuador seems to fit the bill (23+ / 0-)

Cheap, nice, close to the US. Just because it's Forbes top pick doesn't mean it's expensive. There currency is the US Dollar.

I use the backpackers index to figure costs. They have an index that includes the total daily cost for:

1. One night in the cheapest bunk at the least expensive hostel with a good location and good reviews
    2. Two public transportation rides per day
    3. One paid/famous attraction per day (Every city is loaded with free things to do for budget-conscious travelers, but here we take the average cost of a major attraction in each city for each day.)
    4. Three “budget” meals per day.
    5. Three cheap, local beers each day as an “entertainment fund.” Non-drinkers might have dessert and coffee or attend a local music performance instead, so this is a general benchmark that should be proportional for each city.

Ecuador comes in at second cheapest @ $22 day.

I've been reading the Ecuador George blog.-- a guy who is in midst of moving there right now.

I like cities, so ymmv.

Thanks for all the great reports, OPOL.

•  My daughter's dentist winters there, and loves it (12+ / 0-)

He's an old hippie, and says it's "pretty good, and pretty cheap." Duly noted:)

"You are not even aware of what is possible. The extent of their capabilities is horrifying."Edward Snowden -6.62, -6.92

by CanyonWren on Mon Jun 02, 2014 at 10:39:28 AM PDT

•  I'm making a side-trip to Equador.. (3+ / 0-)

...when I head back to Colombia this fall. Colombia is my first choice (even though it has even more problems than CR) but I'm flexible. If it's better there, then I'll end up there.

"Wealthy the Spirit which knows its own flight. Stealthy the Hunter who slays his own fright. Blessed is the Traveler who journeys the length of the Light."

by CanisMaximus on Mon Jun 02, 2014 at 02:06:53 PM PDT

•  I still say Chile is best, but I may be prejudiced (4+ / 0-)

And I lived in Ecuador for almost 2 years, 1973-74. Of ourse its changed since then.
      I like Chile  lot, and its a lot like the US---a high standard of living, not 3d worldy at all. pretty socialist, they have goals like getting rid of all slums, which I think they have achieved. Good universal healthcare, probably about B+.
      Its an extraction economy where the state charges royalties (like Alaska) so they can have nice things like good roads. Your good car will stay good down there.
      There's plenty of opportunity for Americans: my son went there 7 years ago, now he and his partner own a large successful restaurant.
      Its also not a macho-based society, the least so Ive encountered in LatinAmerica. Women can walk around the streets without being assaulted.

So I may be prejudiced but people looking to immigrate should give Chile a look. Being far away from the US is a big plus, its not a vice playground for gringoes.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Mon Jun 02, 2014 at 05:19:07 PM PDT

•  Comparing CR's roads to Chile's (3+ / 0-)
        One Pissed Off Liberal, Pluto, Chi

There's no comparison at all, Chile is comparable to California's. Theyre also not wacked out macho drivers, you can count on them stopping for stoplights, signs and pedestrians.
        Less attitude about Americans than we deserve, too.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Mon Jun 02, 2014 at 05:23:09 PM PDT

•  Thanks, exlrrp. (4+ / 0-)
        exlrrp, Pluto, JVolvo, Chi

Chile is on my list because of what you've told me about it. Uruguay may have a slight edge in my mind because, well, legal weed. But Chile's a short hop from Uruguay (I think). I'll drop in on ya one day.

•  My wife and I have been a "sponsor" (2+ / 0-)

for a child in Valparaiso for several years through Children International.  We were notified yesterday that Children International is closing its operations in Chile because the social programs (education, healthcare, etc) are now equal to or better than what they were providing.

That's a real endorsement of Chile....particularly since Children Internation has some operations right here in the good ole USA...Louisiana I think.

The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis. - Dante Alighieri

by Persiflage on Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 04:16:39 AM PDT