View Diary: Open Carry Texas targets Target (381 comments)

•  I'd have them swipe my credit card and (0+ / 0-)

ask to have my food packed up to go. I'd ask the server to take it to me outside the restaurant and tip 'em extra.

"The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?" ~Orwell, "1984"

by Lily O Lady on Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 02:36:08 PM PDT

•  Your server is in a difficult situation.... (1+ / 0-)
      Audri

Apparent danger, but the need to keep a job. You can just leave without risking you job, so you'd prefer to ask them to take on the extra risk of proving you special service while they're still in danger? Better be one hell of a tip!

Here's how I'd help my server....no customers = no work, so now they can just leave too.

"All war is stupid" - JFK

by jorogo on Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 05:03:31 PM PDT

•  You can't pay the bills with no work. If I'd (0+ / 0-)

had food when the gunz showed up, then I'd already be a customer and would have to pay for the food. So I would pay for the food and tip the server extra. I've waited tables so I know what it's like.

I would send a message by leaving early, but would meet my financial obligations. After my departure, the manager might choose to send some of the staff home, but my leaving without paying is stealing. Leaving paid-for food is something I can't afford to do, but I could compensate my server for helping me out which might partially compensate them for being sent home early.

by Lily O Lady on Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 06:52:56 PM PDT

•  You are not giving due gravity to the risk (2+ / 0-)
          Audri, a2nite

of being in the proximity of assault weapons in the hands of people with mental problems. That's fine for you to judge for yourself, but to impose your cavalier attitude toward danger on others is not right. Guns make people dead, and a dead server can't pay any bills at all.

"Oh server! I hear we've struck an iceburg. Before heading off for a lifeboat, would you be so kind as to have my food sent to my quarters and compile my bill and take payment on same. There will be a little something extra for your trouble in your tip tonight."

I'm sure a lot of passengers didn't think hitting an iceburg posed eminent enough danger to run for their lives either, but many still helped others toward safety rather than endangering others by anguishing over the moral dilemma of keeping current with the tab.

If the gunmen dropped a pocketful of bullets on the floor, would you also feel polite protocol obligated you to help pick them up?

"All war is stupid" - JFK

by jorogo on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 05:36:28 AM PDT

•  Off to top comment with you. nt (0+ / 0-)

When lots of people show up to vote, Democrats tend to win.

by Audri on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 09:46:21 AM PDT

•  So you'd advise me to break the law by (0+ / 0-)

stiffing the restaurant and the server? Is asking the server to leave the building to give me my food endangering their life? How?

A walk-out usually results in the manager chasing the nonpaying customer out into the parking lot, at least in my experience as a server. The server may or may not follow. Do you think they would not re-enter the building whether or not they caught me? How would they get their personal items if not so that they could drive home (I'm thinking of a woman's purse here)?

You seem to equate a a quick but thoughtful departure with somehow keeping the restaurant staff from fleeing an active shooting which is not at all the same thing.

I recently gathered up my dog and left the dog park when I noticed a woman there had a gun on her belt. Granted she was not brandishing it, but I no longer felt safe. Every day I could be presented with such situations in my state. It's not a hypothetical situation for me.

by Lily O Lady on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 02:12:24 PM PDT

•  Yes, I'd advise you to break the law.... (0+ / 0-)

in the same way many others make their sacrifice of committing civil disobedience to oppose a far greater injustice.

I'd also encourage you to return after the danger has passed to settle your bill, thank them for their understanding, leave a big tip and engage the owner and staff (and police, if anyone wants) in a discussion of your motive to self-protect.

Purses, personal items and pursuit by a manager are trivial minutia in the big picture of reactionary social misfits with an incomprehensible agenda who show up in a public place armed for combat.

"All war is stupid" - JFK

by jorogo on Fri Jun 06, 2014 at 11:07:43 AM PDT

•  In my Tea Party county in a state where (0+ / 0-)

open carry has just been signed into law this year (a bill voted for by the Democratic candidate for governor), the headline in the local rag would read, "Woman Walks Out on Check, Armed Citizens Apprehend Her."

I'm not sure how this would even be seen as civil disobedience. Likely the restaurant owner/manager would be grateful to the self-appointed posse for stopping me. Any assurance that I intended to return to pay my check "after the danger was past" would be considered highly dubious by most of my fellow citizens, and would probably be met with derisive laughter.

I don't know where you live, but it sounds like a lovely place untouched by reality.

by Lily O Lady on Fri Jun 06, 2014 at 02:18:23 PM PDT

•  I live in Central Wisconsin, (0+ / 0-)

in a conservative Republican stronghold, one which elects Democrats on the rare occasions when they show that they're willing to make a principled stand for what they believe is right. Here, conviction of personal principle and honesty of action is valued above policy position. It's about as real as it gets.

That's why true and honest progressives can make it here - but not so much Party pawns. Democrats here suffer under the stark reality of the cowardice and paranoia of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, and I'm certain the reality of this area would direct the same distain toward any paranoid cowards who'd dare show up in a public place armed for combat, as well as toward anyone who'd just sit there and tolerate their actions.

You'd be better off staying just where your tea party wants you to - you'd never make it here.

"All war is stupid" - JFK

by jorogo on Fri Jun 06, 2014 at 08:58:35 PM PDT

•  You can't pay for your food (1+ / 0-)
          silverfoxcruiser

if the people with the guns decide to fire bullets into your head. And you have no way of knowing whether or not they will be doing that until WAY too late.

When lots of people show up to vote, Democrats tend to win.

by Audri on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 09:45:29 AM PDT