View Diary: Hailey Idaho cancels its Homecoming Celebration for Sgt. Bergdahl in face of RW hate campaign (128 comments)

•  So your handful of first hand stories (9+ / 0-)

applies to thousands and thousands of people?

There are bitter, angry, impulsive people on every side of every argument.  That's reality.  But your broad brush is just as wrong as saying all of any one group are responsible when a few of one group does something wrong.  It is called "false generalization" and it is something that should be avoided by those who seek to be tolerant and fair.

“We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.” Louis D. Brandeis

by Jjc2006 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 04:03:02 PM PDT

•  no. (2+ / 0-)
      Gordon20024, alx9090

Warning - some snark may be above‽ (-9.50; -7.03)‽ eState4Column5©2013 "If we appear to seek the unattainable, then let it be known that we do so to avoid the unimaginable." (@eState4Column5)

by annieli on Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 04:17:25 PM PDT

•  I am sorry (0+ / 0-)

for your anger and bitterness.
        Hope you can let it go.

by Jjc2006 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 01:50:06 PM PDT

•  I served multiple tours in RVN and had my (22+ / 0-)

share of departures and home comings. I never encountered a welcoming or send off demonstration either pro or anti war or veterans.

Viet Nam veterans were swept under the rug when they came home.

I can not imagine the carnage that would have taken place if a bunch of DFHs had spat on a returning soldier. Troops were ferried back and forth on carriers such as Capitol Air and World Airways which used the Boeing 707s with 180 +/- passengers. These men were fresh off the line and out of the jungles. It wouldn't take so much as a sneer to start a major brawl in an airport. How many of these hippies are reported to have been present when nearly 200 soldiers deplaned?

Those stories are BS. Never happened and logistically impossible.

If the Old Testament were a reliable guide in the matter of capital punishment, half the people in the United States would have to be killed tomorrow. ~ Steve Allen

by Gordon20024 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 at 04:48:38 PM PDT

•  I was a anti war hippie and I can't imagine (1+ / 0-)
        Gordon20024

anyone spitting on troops.  Most of the troops were drafted and were our family or friends that we worried about while they were gone.

Hippies felt sorry for those who had been conscripted into going to Vietnam.

I do think some of the officers were paranoid and told troops to not wear the uniform off base and instilled unnecessary fear into those serving.

Congressional elections have consequences!

by Cordyc on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 12:54:42 AM PDT

•  By the time we left the airport we were in Civies (3+ / 0-)

And we were not rotated out as one company or unit. I left via Ft. Clark in PI and flew to Osaka, Japan where after a few hours were all loaded into a MAC flight from TWA or some other carrier.
        Oakland was the destination, but fog had us land at San Francisco's airport and by the time I cleared entry, I was in civilian clothes.
        When I got on the plane from San Francisco to home, once other passengers learned I had just left the gun line, they started buying me drinks.
        I still wasn't able to buy a drink myself because I was not yet 21.

"If you tell the truth, you won't have to remember anything", Mark Twain

by Cruzankenny on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 09:39:21 AM PDT

•  A "false generalization"? (1+ / 0-)
      Gentle Giant

My husband and 26 others that were returning from Vietnam and coming into Detroit by bus didn't think that being spat upon and having eggs and tomatoes thrown at them was simply a "false generalization".  They found it humiliating, horribly upsetting and very un-American.  But please, don't let me stop you from spreading your "false generalizations" - after all, our military has always fought for your right to free speech.