View Diary: President Obama: "No Apologies ... We Do Not Leave Anybody Wearing the American Uniform Behind." (301 comments)

•  This has the potential to become a truly (26+ / 0-)

defining moment for these assholes. It is lower than low even by their usual standards.

I feel so sorry for Bergdahl but I suspect the filth might have chosen the wrong target in him. A bunch of doughy Americans outraged at their keyboards have nothing on a young man who spent formative years learning to survive as a Taliban POW.

I am maddest of all at McCain. The man has pride, hubris and ambition in spades. But he is singularly lacking in any sense of honor.

Tell Warner Brothers Pictures that Rooney Mara is #NotYourTigerLily.

by ExpatGirl on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 10:08:08 AM PDT

•  Can't wait until Bergdahl heals up and speaks out. (10+ / 0-)

I am SO looking forward to when Bergdahl is feeling well enough to tell his own side of the story.  The more I keep hearing about him - both his character, and his actions - the better I think it's going to be once he's able to speak up for himself.

•  I wonder how much he actually remembers (5+ / 0-)

about events that led up to his capture. He has been through so much since. Things I can't even begin to imagine much less understand.

Tell Warner Brothers Pictures that Rooney Mara is #NotYourTigerLily.

by ExpatGirl on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 10:49:54 AM PDT

•  And no where have I seen any mention of (1+ / 0-)
          ExpatGirl

the possibility that PTSD could be a factor in all of this.

No where.

Not as a factor in why he left base or how he is functioning after being held captive for five years.

There is something in us that refuses to be regarded as less than human. We are created for freedom - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

by Onomastic on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 03:18:26 PM PDT

•  Does anyone really think that a young man (1+ / 0-)
          ExpatGirl

in the middle of a war zone who says he's "going to walk to India" with just the clothes on his back and a compass is seeing straight?

That is why I mentioned the possibility of PTSD.

Honestly, I think we're going to have to know a lot more about Bergdahl, both what he may have written in the past and how he describes his own feelings and what motivated him. There's a very interesting article by somebody who served with him in his unit that appeared on The Daily Beast. His name is Nathan Bethea. And he describes the morning the Bergdahl walked away from his unit, stacking his body armor, his helmet, his rifle in a neat stack and then walking away from the unit, taking his compass with him. And this guy says, telling his comrades that he was going to walk all the way to India.

by Onomastic on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 03:27:57 PM PDT

•  God that is sad. (2+ / 0-)
            Onomastic, worldlotus

It breaks my heart. This young man has suffered horrors I will never face. Statistically, he stands alone. And he is coming home to a swelling tide of vitriol and venom the likes I have never seen. All directed at him.

On his side is the fact that people like you and me are strident loudmouths trying to have his back.

I HATE it that he is becoming a sacrificial lamb in an implosion he never knew was happening.

In our criminal justice system, a Republican is presumed innocent until the 2nd Coming. - Gooserock

by ExpatGirl on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 03:58:15 PM PDT

•  He may not be free to talk (3+ / 0-)
        mjd in florida, TomP, 88kathy

If he's potentially facing desertion charges, presumably his legal counsel would advise him to say very little about all of that. I would expect that at some point in the next few weeks, he will issue a brief statement saying he's glad to be home, or maybe appear at a brief news conference, but will not answer questions about what, why, when, who, how, or anything else that could get him into trouble.

•  And he just got out of POW camp. Hasn't spoken (1+ / 0-)
          a2nite

English in 5 years. Yes, maybe he should take a couple of months off.

Don't send a teddy bear to the Martinez family, they don't want you to intrude on their grief - send a postcard to a politician Not One More

by 88kathy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 08:39:09 PM PDT