View Diary: Cable companies, Kochs astroturfing on net neutrality (44 comments)

•  I Remember When People Here Adored Harold Ford (6+ / 0-)

.... and they thought his career-ending public meltdown was just the most clever thing ever.

Men are so necessarily mad, that not to be mad would amount to another form of madness. -Pascal

by bernardpliers on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 04:06:39 PM PDT

•  I've been here for ten years... (7+ / 0-)

...and don't remember that Harold Ford was ever well liked here, let alone adored.

If Democrats proclaim the the Earth is round and Republicans insist it is flat, we will shortly see a column in the Washington Post claiming the the earth is really a semi-circle.

by TexasTom on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 04:33:38 PM PDT

•  His Meltdown Was His Peak (1+ / 0-)
        newpioneer

Pretty much everyone here thought it was f'ing brilliant.

by bernardpliers on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 05:11:41 PM PDT

•  I don't recall this either (4+ / 0-)
        Joe Jackson, hbk, TexasTom, Nespolo

I too have been here 10 years and it seems to me people here have usually been somewhat contemptuous of Ford. Perhaps there was a handful, just like there's a handful of gun nuts and charter school advocates and even today someone trying to make the case that the drug experiments on the children in those Irish homes for the unwed were perhaps done with the best of intention to help them because what says good intentions and concern like dumping kids' bodies in septic tanks. But the overall tone here has never been supportive of Ford that I can recall — nor even somewhat divided.

Ed FitzGerald for governor Of Ohio. Women's lives depend on it. http://www.edfitzgeraldforohio.com/

by anastasia p on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 05:38:10 PM PDT

•  He was well-liked by some (1+ / 0-)
        newpioneer

but not by all.

Like all other people, when it comes to politicians, some are good, some are bad, some are great.

"I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization"

by Angie in WA State on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 05:58:01 PM PDT

•  I remember when many thought he sucked (3+ / 0-)
      newpioneer, hbk, Omir the Storyteller

Especially when he claimed he LOVED George W. Bush and was open to privatizing Social Security.  He was spotted as a corporate whore a while back, so I don't recall a lot of people getting the warm fuzzies about Harold Ford.

•  some did, bernardpliers (0+ / 0-)

one particular diarist was constantly posting about Ford, many followers, and just as many folks pushing back.

Turned out later, much later, that diarist admitted to being a part of the Ford campaign. It's all good now, but yeah, there were plenty of Love that Harold Ford showing up.

At least that's what I remember, living in Tennessee when I first signed up here. 'Call me Harold' had little to do with him losing to Corker - the national media was breathless, but we basically rolled our eyes. For me, it had everything to do with his hard right turn as a good little blue dog - as for the LGBTT community, he gave us a huge middle finger just before the election, one man one woman b.s., at the same time pissed off a hell of a lot of women in this Oct debate trying to one up Corker with his right to life bonifides. It was all disgusting.

Sorry for going on, voting for Ford over Corker was my last vote stateside, since then I've been in PR. I'll NEVER forget how I felt after voting for him, putting party over my own deep held convictions. Decided then and there, never again.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. ~ Thoreau

by newpioneer on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 07:59:35 PM PDT