View Diary: Books Go Boom!   Christopher Moore 'Lamb: the Gospel according to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal' (174 comments)

•  'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' is my favorite: (20+ / 0-)

Colorful, exciting story and characters; every page a real pleasure to read; and, most of all, punchlines that hit me like a ray from an alien imagination. Where on earth did those jokes come from? The best kind of mindfuckery I could wish for.

But funny is so very subjective. I read Catch-22 as a teenager, on a family summer holiday in France, and I found it exhilarating, a champagne magnum of wit and wisdom. I read it decades later, older, wiser, and in a sombre mood, and hardly laughed at all, because I saw so much grimness and brutality in it. I loathed Milo Minderbinder for his callous self-serving schemes, that others always paid for.

Then there are the different flavors and sizes of humor. Page for page, The Importance of Being Earnest made me laugh out loud more than Lamb; but Lamb is larger and warmer.

Good Omens is a non-stop exploding joy, for me, too.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Fri Jun 06, 2014 at 06:25:24 PM PDT

•  Hitchhiker's is really funny (12+ / 0-)

but it is spread out over the 5 books of the trilogy. And it is s thing of beauty,

Lamb is concentrated hilarity.

We have done the impossible & that makes us mighty - Firefly

by anotherdemocrat on Fri Jun 06, 2014 at 06:33:32 PM PDT

•  I've made my kids (6+ / 0-)

read all the Douglas Adams books, Good Omens and a truckload of Christopher Moore including my personal favorite, Fool.

Otherwise they won't understand a thing I am babbling when I am old and demented.

If you want something other than the obvious to happen; you've got to do something other than the obvious. Douglas Adams

by trillian on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 09:28:46 AM PDT

•  You have great taste in humor; or, you have taste (3+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, Radiowalla, janis b

that makes perfect sense to me. I hope your kids are teenagers or above, if you made them read Fool (although I can't remember if there was much explicit detail in the bedroom).

This is why it's advisable to start babbling before you get old - so family and friends can learn the gist of it, and decode it when you start leavening it with dementia.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 07:07:06 PM PDT

•  hitchiker's guide is inspired genius... (3+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest, Radiowalla, janis b

and catch-22 is another... though far darker.

its hard to loathe milo, though he is loathesome.  too much like playa-hating.

i'm surprised ive yet to see mention o confederacy of dunces which i've read many times...  i still cant read dear mongloid without a loud guffaw.

the secret there is kennedy's humor is sooo sharp.

you told me earlier that great expectations was your favorite dickens... this morning i woke up early to enjoy the last 100 pages or so and i concur that it was magnificent.  laugh out loud funny in spots and it also brought tears to my eyes.  the revised ending was definitely better.

If you didn't care what happened to me, and I didn't care for you, we would zig zag our way through the boredom and pain, occasionally glancing up through the rain, wondering which of the buggers to blame, and watching for pigs on the wing. R. Waters

by No Exit on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 03:26:15 PM PDT

•  Dickens, in some passages and books, was a great (3+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, Radiowalla, janis b

humorist - but I particularly enjoyed the dry, sharp wit I found in Great Expectations, which I hadn't seen before in him. I think he wrote that a year or two after splitting with his wife, so he had some grim realism permeating his view.

I see what you're saying about Catch-22. As my two readings of it show, comedy is so subjective, both to our individual tastes and our reading circumstances. A good comedy, seen with several drunk friends after a night on the town, is a great comedy. My best friend and I had two beers each, and went to see Little Nicky - perhaps the dumbest Adam Sandler movie. Very disappointing. Then I realized, if we'd only had four beers each, we'd have enjoyed it.

When I first tried Confederacy of Dunces, I found it too silly, an impossible cartoon. Later, I read it in a more receptive and sardonic mood, and it struck a chord perfectly.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 07:16:27 PM PDT

•  his depiction of jaggers, the attorney, rings just (1+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest

as true today...

it was one of the most enjoyable books ive read in a long time.

by No Exit on Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 08:03:26 PM PDT