View Diary: Economist who defeated Eric Cantor fumbles minimum wage question (259 comments)

•  It doesn't bode badly for 'us', either (18+ / 0-)

A powerless Republican just replaced a powerful one. We are still talking about one Representative, not a Senator or the President.

The news is that Cantor lost, not that Brat won. The news is all bad for the GOP, but that news was coming some day no matter what. They embraced the Tea Party; we all knew they had rabies, as well as the GOP, and would sooner or later bite the hand that fed them and kill them.

It's the next stage in the inevitable demise of the Republican Party. They're being destroyed from within; this just might be the beginning of the end of the two-party system. To which I say "HURRAY!"

"I feel a lot safer already."--Emil Sitka

by DaddyO on Wed Jun 11, 2014 at 07:41:37 AM PDT

•  I understand your point and would like to agree. (4+ / 0-)
      daeros, MufsMom, Columba, Schnitzie

However, I view this in the same light as I would view a victory by neo-fascist and/or Cliven Bundy.

Maybe in the longer term it will work to our advantage, but I don't know how many longer terms I have left!

In the short term, it will kill ACA in VA and will send fear deep into the hearts of any remaining moderate repug. These folks are nutsy, racist, religious fanatics.

And I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine. And I damn all gentlemen. Whose only worth is their father's name And the sweat of a workin' man Steve Earle - Dixieland

by shigeru on Wed Jun 11, 2014 at 07:48:07 AM PDT

•  I don't think it's an advantage for 'us' (4+ / 0-)
        shigeru, CenFlaDem, eviemarie, nadd2

But it is a disadvantage for Republicans. These people are out there. This is a democracy. They get to choose their idiots to represent them.

Fortunately, sane people are still the majority nationwide. This story is just a story, not the end of the world for either 'side'.

"I feel a lot safer already."--Emil Sitka

by DaddyO on Wed Jun 11, 2014 at 07:53:15 AM PDT

•  He's running for Congress (3+ / 0-)
        bluenick, eviemarie, Columba

he'll be part of the federal, not state, legislature. How will that kill the ACA in VA? Are you assuming a wave election that will turn out a lot of Democratic state legislators? From all I've heard, this was all about Cantor being on the make and ignoring his constituents.

"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." --I.F. Stone

by Alice in Florida on Wed Jun 11, 2014 at 08:03:18 AM PDT

•  I'm a native Virginian who has escaped. (3+ / 0-)
          Columba, Schnitzie, SGA

The repugs will run scared and drift ever rightward to save their butts. In particular there will be no hope for Medicaid in VA due to the repug Senate and Assembly being fearful.

That is my point.

Every super right wing victory diminishes us all and makes our future riskier. How much riskier only God knows.

by shigeru on Wed Jun 11, 2014 at 08:55:42 AM PDT

•  interestly i'm moving over to VA-06 Soon (1+ / 0-)
        shigeru

I will probably volunteer to register votes in the trendiest left wing places I can find.

There is no such thing as False hope- there is only Hope.

by daeros on Wed Jun 11, 2014 at 08:40:18 AM PDT

•  it's good for us b/c it adds to Rcon disarray (4+ / 0-)

it will cause infighting and jockeying for position among red team politicians at the highest levels of leadership

Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D.
      DEMAND CREATES JOBS!!!
      Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights to talk about grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Jun 11, 2014 at 07:48:56 AM PDT

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site