View Diary: What are OUR Interests in Iraq? (60 comments)

•  I marched against the first Gulf War. (4+ / 0-)
    jamess, too many people, claude, Chi

Russia can annex part of Ukraine but Iraq cannot invade Kuwait? Really?

Russia, by the way, is a huge oil and gas producer. Most of Europe depends on it. I know--I used to live in Vienna, which depended upon Russian gas. We don't need Iraq's oil. Really, we don't.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

by commonmass on Fri Jun 13, 2014 at 09:38:11 AM PDT

•  I was among (2+ / 0-)
      commonmass, too many people

the 10% saying the Iraq Offensive, was a Big Mistake

-- BEFORE it started.

My co-workers, proceeded to question my "Patriotism."

But for some strange reason, I actually believed Scott Ritter's warnings.

Sooner or later were going to have to: Trade in those Carbon Footprints ...

by jamess on Fri Jun 13, 2014 at 09:44:56 AM PDT

•  What is funny about the first gulf war is that (2+ / 0-)
        jamess, Chi

the Soviet Union was allied with us in that war. Many people forget that.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

by commonmass on Fri Jun 13, 2014 at 09:48:37 AM PDT

•  they smeared him with some bimbo story (2+ / 0-)
        jamess, commonmass

or something. I remember only that I thought at that time that he is more right than wrong and that just because he seemed to be "slimey" to some, did not make him more wrong than right in his political view points.

It is amazing how many female journalists or producers judge some men not by what they try to express politically but by what their personalities feels like to a woman's guts.

Assange, Snowden, Greenwald what have you all emotionally rejected because they don't feel right...

I am glad I am out of that environment.

We know a hell of a lot, but we understand very little. Manfred Max-Neef

by mimi on Fri Jun 13, 2014 at 09:52:36 AM PDT

•  Oh please (0+ / 0-)

I'm sick and tired of people so willing to excuse sex abuse, rape, pedophilia, whatever if the perpetrator is one of "our guys".

Scott Ritter's first arrest for trying to pick up young girls on the net was in 2001, long before he became a lightning rod on Iraq; he got six months probation. Yes, someone leaked his sealed record during the Iraq conflict, which could well have been poltiical revenge, but that doesn't change the fact that the incident in question happened back when he wasn't a controversial figure. Then in 2009, when pretty much everyone had forgotten about Ritter, he did it again, exposing himself on a web chat to someone he thought was a 15-year-old girl. He was conficted by a jury on all but one minor charge.

If Scott Ritter doesn't want people thinking that he's trying to pick up underaged girls on the net, he needs to stop trying to pick up underaged girls on the net.

For gods sake, when will people like you stop making excuses for people who do stuff like that just because they take your side on political issues?

The day I'll consider justice blind is the day that a rape defendant's claim of "She consented to the sex" is treated by the same legal standards as a robbery defendant's claim of "He consented to give me the money": as an affirmative defense.

by Rei on Sat Jun 14, 2014 at 08:36:56 AM PDT

•  There were far more tan 10% against (1+ / 0-)
        commonmass

the war before it started. In fact, more people were against it more of the time than for it. After the war started support shot up to over 70%, but prior to the start the country didn't want a war.

No War but Class War