View Diary: Kevin McCarthy wins race to succeed Eric Cantor as majority leader (59 comments)

•  Yo, Jed, am I reading too much into your post (8+ / 0-)

or did you just say (effectively) that he's dumber than dirt and has the verbal skills of a gerbil?

English usage is sometimes more than mere taste, judgment and education - sometimes it's sheer luck, like getting across the street. E. B. White

by Youffraita on Thu Jun 19, 2014 at 12:42:56 PM PDT

•  No way. I'm sure Jed would agree that gerbils (6+ / 0-)

have better verbal skills than McCarthy.

"On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps...of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again."

by middleagedhousewife on Thu Jun 19, 2014 at 12:48:56 PM PDT

•  My CAT has better verbal skills, forchrissakes. (4+ / 0-)

Every chirp, meow, and caterwaul has a meaning. That little willful shit has made sure I understand the particular meaning of all of them, and he has a HUGE vocabulary.

He understands English, too: he comes when I call him. He's a good kitty. Willful little shit, but at least he comes on command. If I walk out on the deck and call "Geoffy-Cat!" he comes plump plump plumping along.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

by commonmass on Thu Jun 19, 2014 at 12:53:25 PM PDT

•  Oh, well, most cats are very smart. (3+ / 0-)

GOP otoh....

by Youffraita on Thu Jun 19, 2014 at 01:02:19 PM PDT

•  Cats know the hand that feeds them, that's (2+ / 0-)
            middleagedhousewife, Youffraita

for sure, and in my case I am extremely lucky that Geoffy is fiercely loyal to me. So much so that he would attack any domestic animal that gets near me. That's the downside, but it's a product of his former life on the streets of Rockland, Maine before he adopted me. ;)

SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

by commonmass on Thu Jun 19, 2014 at 01:05:50 PM PDT

•  My late and much lamented Buddy (2+ / 0-)
              commonmass, middleagedhousewife

totally moved in. I had no choice, lol: and he cuddled, and demanded my lap after work, and I miss him SO MUCH.

But HE moved in. I can't claim credit for adopting him: he decided he was mine, and just took over.

I miss him dreadfully.

by Youffraita on Thu Jun 19, 2014 at 01:10:47 PM PDT

•  Sorry about Buddy, my friend. (2+ / 0-)
                Youffraita, middleagedhousewife

I don't know what I'll do when I eventually lose Geoffrey. He follows me everywhere and is a constant companion. He even rides shotgun when I run down the street to the convenience store for something and is great in the boat. I wish he were more friendly to other animals (he LOVES to meet new people and is very loving to humans) because I'd love to be able to bring him to St. Luke's on St. Francis Day with all the other pets.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST.