View Diary: The Hate Debate of the antivaccination cult (23 comments)

•  some people just don't like early multi vax (1+ / 0-)
    TakeSake

personally I'm fine with having vaccinations spread out over several years. That's not the same as anti vax, no matter what some people argue.

Dear NSA: I am only joking.

by Shahryar on Fri Jun 20, 2014 at 05:10:48 PM PDT

•  But it goes against the best science (3+ / 0-)
      tarkangi, ebohlman, sagesource

From my logic, once you decide to vaccinate, what does it matter with 1 or 100,000 vaccinations. None of the ingredients is harmful in anything but large quantities over a long period of time. The human baby inhales 500,000 to 1 million new antigens with every breath. So, that's not going to do anything. And we know how to protect children with the current scientifically based schedule.

But not I have a vote, but I'm glad you're most of the way there with vaccines. I wish I could convince you on the rest.

Skepticism is evaluating the quality and quantity of evidence to reach a conclusion. It is not gathering evidence to support a closed minded conclusion.

by SkepticalRaptor on Fri Jun 20, 2014 at 05:46:15 PM PDT

•  Some people have to do it their own way (1+ / 0-)
        ebohlman

Expert opinion be damned.

Vai o tatu-bola escamoso encontrar-me onde estou escondendo? Lembro-me do caminho de ouro, uma pinga de mel, meu amado Parati

by tarkangi on Fri Jun 20, 2014 at 11:35:12 PM PDT

•  Yeah, it's the feeling of empowerment (1+ / 0-)
          tarkangi

which in this case is merely an (inaccurate) feeling, similar to that experienced by the participant in a "make money fast" chain letter. I think a similar feeling of false empowerment is what motivates the rank-and-file teabaggers (the leadership is motivated by genuine (though anything but enlightened) self-interest, of course).

Unfortunately when smart and educated people get crazy ideas they can come up with plausibly truthy arguments. -- Andrew F Cockburn

by ebohlman on Sat Jun 21, 2014 at 06:26:11 AM PDT

•  Loved your diary on whale.to (0+ / 0-)

Some people are just high on their own narcissistic supply.

by tarkangi on Sat Jun 21, 2014 at 08:36:41 AM PDT

•  The only reason I didn't rec this (0+ / 0-)

is that I didn't check back until the time window for reccing had expired.

by ebohlman on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 03:05:42 PM PDT