View Diary: RNC accuses Maryland Gov. O'Malley of 'Hispandering' (65 comments)

•  I am disappointed (0+ / 0-)

I was hoping he would be an alternative to the Hillary onslaught.  Read he belongs to a DLC type group.  too bad.

•  You need to read up more. (5+ / 0-)

He's a progressive champion. Short list of accomplishments:

Same-Sex Marriage
      DREAM Act
      Raised Minimum Wage
      Increased spending on Education
      Raised taxes on wealthy
      Strengthened Gun Control measures
      Vetoed a bill to delay a large wind farm off coast of MD.
      Repealed Death Penalty

He's been on the progressive side on almost every issue and he gave a full-throated endorsement of progressive policies this weekend in Iowa. And Senator Harkin heaped praise on him for his progressive works.

President Obama at Madison Rally 9/28/2010 - "Change is not a spectator sport."

by askew on Mon Jun 23, 2014 at 12:38:43 PM PDT

•  I appreciated his taking time to support Hatch, (1+ / 0-)
        askew

and he said he plans to campaign for a lot of Democratic candidates around the country.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Mon Jun 23, 2014 at 01:08:01 PM PDT

•  And another neat memory from my encounter (3+ / 0-)
        JanetT in MD, mjd in florida, askew

with him. As we were chatting he asked what I did. I told him I had been a professor of biochemistry and now was an Episcopal priest. He lifted an eyebrow and said, "And respect the dignity of every human being?"

I was struck that he knew that phrase from the baptismal covenant (despite being Roman Catholic), and I suspect he picked it up during the debates about marriage equality, because that is one of the reasons we offer in favor of it.

by Wee Mama on Mon Jun 23, 2014 at 02:29:12 PM PDT

•  What an interesting comment from O'Malley. (1+ / 0-)
          Wee Mama

So, you were impressed with O'Malley then I take it? I was hoping to see some diaries from people who attended the event but haven't come across anything.

President Obama at Madison Rally 9/28/2010 - "Change is not a spectator sport."

by askew on Mon Jun 23, 2014 at 03:32:08 PM PDT

•  Yes, I was. He has had good executive experience, (0+ / 0-)

at both the city and the state level. The accomplishments he put forward as ones he was proud of were things like the Dream Act for Maryland, improving public education, raising the minimum wage, getting marriage equality, reducing violent crime and so on. He also seemed like a decent human being, so far as that can be read in a setting like that.

by Wee Mama on Mon Jun 23, 2014 at 05:47:25 PM PDT

•  As a Marylander, I've been impressed (0+ / 0-)

with his commitment to progressive causes as well.  I'm a teacher in MD and had a chance to chat with him about education.  He talked about how proud he is of MD's #1 ranking and how astonished he is to see the sorry state of schools in other places when he travels.  He did approve some questionable practices regarding state pensions--nothing illegal--just frustrating.  I think he could've done better there.  I believe, however, that the bad economy prompted it and given a strong economy he would've taken different measures.  I can live with that.  I prefer a governor who believes that public education is important and who puts the state's money where his mouth is!  I've heard too many GOP Governors make large cuts to public education then trash it publicly.

“It is the job of the artist to think outside the boundaries of permissible thought and dare say things that no one else will say."—Howard Zinn

by musiclady on Mon Jun 23, 2014 at 05:58:11 PM PDT

•  Welcome to Daily Kos, kathg. (2+ / 0-)
      Aunt Pat, 88kathy

You should know that assertions like that require linked evidence around these parts. Not doing so puts your integrity in question.

•  You hate HRC and you don't know why. Your (0+ / 0-)

irrational hated just isn't going to fly.

Don't send a teddy bear to the Martinez family, they don't want you to intrude on their grief - send a postcard to a politician Not One More

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 23, 2014 at 02:36:34 PM PDT