View Diary: So much for that CRAAAZY Elizabeth Warren (369 comments)

•  I know you're a big fan™ :) of her running for (7+ / 0-)

President.  I don't mean to undercut that, but assuming she doesn't run, who else do we have on the Progressive side?

It looks like HRC has all but declared (30+ years of tax records).  O'Malley is in like Flynn.  I expect Biden to wait to the last moment and then NOT run.  But my crystal ball fails beyond that.  Kucinich, obviously.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
    I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
    —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 09:10:01 AM PDT

•  His "progressiveness" may be up for debate (6+ / 0-)

on several important issues, but I think Schweitzer is going to run on a economic message that will be significantly to the left of HRC's. There is a wide open lane for candidates that want to go aggressively against Wall Street and the banks, and there is no way Hillary can do that  believably.

•  Schweitzer is DOA at this point. (9+ / 0-)

I want to live in a world where George Zimmerman offered Trayvon Martin a ride home to get him out of the rain that night. -Bishop G. Brewer

by the dogs sockpuppet on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 10:07:29 AM PDT

•  Did you pay attention last week? (10+ / 0-)

The Montana gadfly shot his presidential aspirations in the foot. I used to be a huge fan of his potential candidacy, as I was impressed with the way he framed a lot of progressive positions in a way that appealed to the libertarian (that's with a lower-case "l") voters of Montana. But ever since Obama's re-election, Schweitzer has gone out of his way to trash-talk the President, and Hillary, for that matter. He seems more and more unhinged, and his bizarre comments in that telephone interview last week, honestly, seem alcohol-induced. I used to hope that Schweitzer would be taking steps toward running for President. Now, the only steps I'm hoping for him to take are . . . Twelve.

31, chick, Jewish, solid progressive, NY-14 currently, FL-22 native, went to school in IL-01. "'Let's talk about health care, Mackenzie!' 'Oh Amanda, I'd rather not; that's not polite!'"

by The Caped Composer on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 10:21:12 AM PDT

•  Stranger things have happened. (0+ / 0-)

Depends upon who else runs.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
          I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
          —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 10:22:14 AM PDT

•  Do you honeslty think that the majority of (1+ / 0-)
          politically indigo

America would find equating effeminate men with homosexuals to be a disqualifying level of homophobia? I'm not defending it, but I'm not going to fool myself into believing that most of America is reaching Tumblr blog levels of outrage over that comment.

Obviously what he said was mildly homophobic, but we just elected a guy to be President that didn't think gay people were worthy of legal marriage. That JUST happened, and nobody was saying that holding that very bigoted belief disqualified Obama.

And there is a lot of room to criticize Obama and Hillary, ESPECIALLY if you are coming from an angle of economic populism. Like I said above, I'm not going to vote for this guy. But I want as many people as possible to bring a strong economic populist message to this primary, and I especially want Hillary to be aggressively confronted on economic issues and where her loyalties lie. I know Schweitzer will bring that message.

•  I would hope it would disqualify him from (2+ / 0-)
            The Caped Composer, Tamar

winning the Dem nomination in the primaries.  Bigots in the general probably would vote for the "R" over him.  I think he is a losing proposition now.

I wanted to like him VERY much.  But last week's comments are the kind of thing that takes 8 years (2 cycles) for the public to forgive/forget.  It was pretty awful stuff to say AND he said it on the radio (e.g., he acted like he is an amateur politician).

Mmmmm. Sprinkles. - H.J. Simpson.

by ten canvassers on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 02:23:46 PM PDT

•  By the time we are actually in the primary race (0+ / 0-)

what he said will be long forgotten.

And even though it is homophobic, I don't think that your average American would take great umbrage at the idea that effeminate men might be homosexual.  We just aren't at the point yet where saying something like this is a dealbreaker.

I'm not going to vote for him, but I also don't think that we have a whole lot of people that would be willing to stand face to face with Hillary and call her out for basically being a Wall Street employee. Schweitzer would do this, and in fact I think he is itching to do it. I definitely want to make sure he is in the running by the time we have our first primary.

•  I would rather he stuck his foot in his mouth (0+ / 0-)

before the election rather that turn out to be a liar after the election.

The primaries do need progressive candidates to bring the discourse more to the left, even if it is only lip service from the more centrist candidates.

If there are more progressives in the legislature, which is probably more important than the Presidency (haven't the Republicans taught us anything), they can bring pressure to bear on the President.

Worrying about who is president at this point is wasting effort that should go elsewhere. Notice how Warren is trying to get more progressives in the Senate.

•  That wasn't all he said -- did you hear his (2+ / 0-)
            Phoenix Woman, SilentBrook

"figure of speech" regarding Feinstein:

She was the woman who was standing under the streetlight with her dress pulled all the way up over her knees and now she says, 'I'm a nun,' when it comes to this spying I mean, maybe that's the wrong metaphor — but she was all in!

Incredibly offensive. And sadly, if he hadn't used that description and simply talked about the irony of Feinstein's complaints given her unqualified support for NSA overreach, I would have agreed with him.

and yes, I think Schweitzer's comments about Cantor would offend lots of people, the kind of people whose enthusiasm makes a difference in elections.

While Democrats work to get more people to vote, Republicans work to ensure those votes won't count.

by Tamar on Wed Jun 25, 2014 at 12:22:14 PM PDT

•  Dennis for Department of Peace. (6+ / 0-)

still dreamin'  ;-)

"From single strands of light we build our webs." ~kj

by kj in missouri on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 09:28:23 AM PDT

•  webb. (2+ / 0-)
      polecat, MyOwnReality

he's surprising progressive.

•  In that, we're screwed (1+ / 0-)
      polecat

All of the Party's money and effort have been placed behind getting Blue Dogs elected.  Even the Dems Warren is campaigning for in these red states will likely turn on her and the party when it comes to voting for populist issues.

We may all be surprised (and disappointed) at the uptick in Blue Dogs in DC if we prevail this fall.  Its a feature, not a bug.

Money is property, not speech. Overturn Citizens United.

by Betty Pinson on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 10:14:58 AM PDT

•  Part and parcel of the 50-state and 435-district (1+ / 0-)
        ichibon

strategy, I'm afraid.

But it did give us Speaker Nancy/President Obama 2009-2010 (a good thing that was largely squandered.)

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
        I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
        —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 10:21:23 AM PDT

•  Not true (3+ / 0-)
          ichibon, elwior, chuck utzman

Real progressive Dems can win in red states, especially when they run with populist messages during the Great Recession.

Historically, Blue Dogs do worse in purple and red states. Ask Harold Ford.

It's that old Harry Truman quote - give the voters a choice between a real Republican and a fake one, they'll vote for the real one every time.  It's still true.

No, Blue Dogs are being pushed, not because they have a better chance of winning (they don't), but because this is what the big money corporate donors want.

Money is property, not speech. Overturn Citizens United.

by Betty Pinson on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 10:26:56 AM PDT

•  I was in NC-11 (now NC-10) with Heath Shuler. (3+ / 0-)
            elwior, buffie, PsychoSavannah

Tell me again about blue dogs.  He beat an odious and extremely rich Republican named Charles Taylor "Chainsaw Charlie" (8th richest guy in the House at the time).  Others had tried prior to that.

Bill Clinton (Blue-dog in Chief) campaigned for him in 2010 and managed to eek one out prior to redistricting.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
            I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
            —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 10:30:27 AM PDT

•  Ugh! I used to watch the vote count and it was (1+ / 0-)
        Betty Pinson

easy to see if you moved Blue Dog votes back to the blue side, we would have gotten so many bills passed.  I thought their day was over, it was a failed plan and I can't believe the party wants to go around with that waltz again.  Egad.  Politicians are dumber than I thought.

Parliment, anyone?

•  We can look, can't we? The election is 2 years ... (2+ / 0-)
      elwior, buffie

We can look, can't we? The election is 2 years away. Must we crown someone right now? I don't know who but I'm open for suggestions, that's for sure. Let's get out there and find someone.

•  I don't see anyone else out there who could beat (1+ / 0-)
      polecat

Hillary Clinton, aside from Senator Warren.
        If E.W. does not run, I believe the best Progressives can hope for is a challenge on the left from Senator Sanders.
        Now, Bernie is fantastic, and he could give Secretary Clinton a great debate on the issues, but he could never beat her.
         The others are just a bunch of guys named Joe, one is literally.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Tue Jun 24, 2014 at 01:26:56 PM PDT

•  Kucinich? Is that a joke? For President? Sherro... (0+ / 0-)

Kucinich? Is that a joke? For President? Sherrod Brown perhaps.