View Diary: Is there a Constitutional answer to #GunFAIL we just forgot about? (25 comments)

•  I don't think it's been invoked (9+ / 0-)

But it was mentioned as a justification for LBJ sending federal troops into Detroit in 1967 to quell the riots.

"Corporations exist not for themselves, but for the people." Ida Tarbell 1908.

by Navy Vet Terp on Wed Jun 25, 2014 at 06:05:01 PM PDT

•  I'm not familiar with riots in Detroit in 1967 (1+ / 0-)
      bumbi

I thought that was during the 1968 Democratic Convention?

"I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization"

by Angie in WA State on Wed Jun 25, 2014 at 06:11:44 PM PDT

•  It was very bad (10+ / 0-)

Here.  43 dead.  You're obviously younger than me.  The 60's were filled with "long hot summers" with poor blacks living in the inner city slums looting and burning stores in their neighborhoods, largely owned by whites.  Watts in LA, Harlem, Detroit, Newark, Philadelphia, and Baltimore and DC after MLK's murder.

I was home from college during the 1968 Baltimore riots.  Stores were looted a few blocks from our apartment and the riots speeded up white flight into utter panic.  To this day you still see the boarded up remnants of where stores had been.

"Corporations exist not for themselves, but for the people." Ida Tarbell 1908.

by Navy Vet Terp on Wed Jun 25, 2014 at 06:19:20 PM PDT

•  I moved to the DC area (7+ / 0-)

in the summer of 68. Yowza it was bad. I was in Alexandria VA and it was basically a sundown town while I was there. Tensions were high to say the least.

Some humans ain't human some people ain't kind. They lie through their teeth with their head up their behind. You open up their hearts and here's what you'll find - Some humans ain't human some people ain't kind. John Prine

by high uintas on Wed Jun 25, 2014 at 06:29:56 PM PDT

•  Born in '61, so the earliest thing that I recall (2+ / 0-)
          Wayward Wind, WakeUpNeo

seeing myself on TV is the Moon Landing by Armstrong and Aldrin on July 20, 1969.

All these years later, I can still feel the electric buzz in the house, which was full with my mom's family (I have 72 first cousins there, so when I say full, I mean FULL) and the wave of excitement which swept through the silent-as-a-mouse crowd while the tiny, maybe 9" circle of the black and white television screen showed the stark vista of the Moon and then the crackling audio cut to Armstrong saying "One small step..."

Then I remember lots of Vietnam, fires burning, helicopters flying, guys on riverboats shooting 35 or 50 caliber guns. Walter Cronkite telling us which town's sons had fought their last day and would be coming home for good in lead lined pine.

While I don't remember it happening, I know that there were riots in a lot of American cities in the later 1960s for about two to three years, maybe? But it's not "my" history, it's history I learned about later. I did know in particular about Watts, Detroit and Philadelphia - but only from watching reports mentioning them during the riots following the Rodney King trial.

"I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization"

by Angie in WA State on Wed Jun 25, 2014 at 06:49:53 PM PDT

•  I'm just 11 years older than you (5+ / 0-)

Born in 1950.  I remember when Sputnik was launched and how depressed everyone was.  My mom took me to the art museum for a concert and the string quartet timed intermission so we could all go outside into the park and watch Sputnik pass over Baltimore.  Whenever there was a space launch they sent us all into the school gym to sit on the floor and watch it.  I remember seeing the rockets blow up on launch, or climb five feet and then blow up.  It was like we couldn't do anything right but the Russians were perfect.  We were all so excited watching in the gym when Wally Shirra and then John Glenn went into space.

I also remember Nam from the inside of a P-3 airplane, though I was fortunate not to have been a "boot on the ground."  Our flights lasted 12 or more ours flying from the Philippines and back.

"Corporations exist not for themselves, but for the people." Ida Tarbell 1908.

by Navy Vet Terp on Wed Jun 25, 2014 at 07:03:18 PM PDT

•  That was Chicago. (6+ / 0-)

Detroit and Newark in '67, the "Long Hot Summer".
        Also, paradoxically, the Summer of Love in Golden Gate Park and the Haight.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Wed Jun 25, 2014 at 06:23:29 PM PDT

• Recommended (165)
  • Community (76)
  • 2016 (49)
  • Environment (48)
  • Elections (46)
  • Bernie Sanders (42)
  • Culture (41)
  • Republicans (40)
  • Hillary Clinton (34)
  • Climate Change (33)
  • Media (33)
  • Education (32)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (29)
  • Labor (28)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Law (25)
  • Congress (25)
  • Science (24)
  • Spam (24)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site