View Diary: The Evening Blues - 7-1-14 (97 comments)

•  labels (7+ / 0-)

I consider myself a leftist, a liberal. I don't think that means violence, destroying property, subversive acts. (Maybe I misunderstood that part.)

I hear that the country is center or center right, but it's not true. As you say, more people agree with the liberal point of view than not. Or, is that what you're saying. Since it's the majority, it's the center? To me we are a center left, or left country, but no one seems to know it.

I don't know what's worse, the getting older or the getting wiser. -- G. Callen.

by OLinda on Tue Jul 01, 2014 at 05:40:10 PM PDT

•  I think leftist implies stuff like (4+ / 0-)

Moaists, The Farc and other paramilitary type movements.  This country has far more fascists than leftists.

This land is your land and this land is my land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway. ~ Bob Dylan ~

by NCTim on Tue Jul 01, 2014 at 05:46:34 PM PDT

•  You are (4+ / 0-)

probably right then. I am not that familiar, and assumed leftist meant more or less the left.

by OLinda on Tue Jul 01, 2014 at 05:50:04 PM PDT

•  hmmm... (8+ / 0-)

all parts of the spectrum have less than savory characters,
        we're accustomed to talking about mass murderers left and right like, say, stalin and hitler - but the center has its mass murderers, too.  america's long running campaign against native americans can certainly be seen as an attempted genocide - andrew jackson's crimes against humanity are legendary.  some people will recoil at this, but i personally find the decision to drop two nuclear warheads on japan to be barbarous.  i don't have a lot of respect for the decision to firebomb dresden, either.  then there are the war crimes of the bush and obama administrations.

if you really think about it, just about every ideology has its bastards. hell, even religions have their bastards - how about the crusades or the inquisition?

what we have to decide is whether these outrages are the natural result of the ideology or perhaps of human nature improperly restrained.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Tue Jul 01, 2014 at 06:29:31 PM PDT

•  hmm, who implies that simple categorizing (3+ / 0-)
        dharmafarmer, NCTim, joe shikspack

oneself as a leftist means you are comparable or intertwined with Maoists and The FARC etc. What does leftist in the US really mean? Mao is dead and The FARC is not on Washington streets.

We know a hell of a lot, but we understand very little. Manfred Max-Neef

by mimi on Tue Jul 01, 2014 at 10:16:43 PM PDT

•  The way I see it, mimi, (3+ / 0-)
          mimi, NCTim, joe shikspack

being leftist in the US means being unrepresented.  There is more than one way, I think, to deprive people of their votes.  There are precious few in the current political climate who stand for our ideals; therefore, we have no power within our political system.

•  "Leftist" has bee demonized and disenfranchised (2+ / 0-)
          dharmafarmer, joe shikspack

... by the propaganda machine.  Much like "socialist".  They carry a bad connotation, without any reasoning.  Progressive is being delegitimized now.  All I am really trying to say is our views are mainstream, but some of our neighbors and friends have been brainwashed or assimilated.  Our view points are being demonized by the propaganda machine.  Why do dullards like Santorum, Huckabee, Palin, Scarborough, ... get a public forum?  When will there be balance?  How could Bill Maher be a thought leader for the left?

by NCTim on Wed Jul 02, 2014 at 07:01:55 AM PDT