View Diary: "Now You're Going to Jail." Cop Quote After Tipping Over Parapalegic in Wheelchair. (108 comments)

•  How do you know they don't? (1+ / 0-)
    jpmassar

by DAISHI on Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 12:02:05 PM PDT

•  Because all of these incidents come from (16+ / 0-)

someone recording the police, and with rare exception not the police recording the police. Other than an officer recording something and not erasing it from his camera, I can't think of any incidents like these that have been reported any other way. Do they just never report when police inform on other officers? That seems silly and counter productive. Even if they keep the officer anonymous they could at least send a report to the papers about getting rid of corruption in the police. But they never do. At least never that I've seen.

I've yet to see a single example of an officer turning in another officer. I'm sure they have to exist somewhere, just because there are so many officers.

There is the feds occasionally stepping in, which is more common, although they don't have any real expertise in fixing police departments. Mainly because they have completely wrong understanding of the role police actually play. The problem for them is never that the drug war targets the poor and people of color, nor do the police care that even when they follow the law completely they destroy communities. Because they have no other conception of the police they just build something that will end up the same as always.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 12:10:55 PM PDT

•  I think this is it: (3+ / 0-)
        jpmassar, blueoasis, corvo
        Do they just never report when police inform on other officers?
        For several reasons.  One, officer malfeasance is bad press no matter what, and the thinking of the brass is going to be, that NO bad press is worth having.  Minor brownie points for addressing the problem constructively, are not as important to them as the down side of having to admit that the problem exists.

Two, that if it is publicly confirmed that internal complaints led to the investigation, there WILL be an effort by the bad apples to smoke out who was the stoolie and retaliate against them.

Hard to say, to what extent if any that good cops do blow the whistle on their brutal colleagues.  But as you say, it's a big big world, so it can't be COMPLETELY unknown.  Still, I would expect it to stay hush-hush whenever it did occur.

"The extinction of the human race will come from its inability to EMOTIONALLY comprehend the exponential function." -- Edward Teller

by lgmcp on Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 01:22:06 PM PDT

•  I'd expect them to tout it at least (4+ / 0-)
          lgmcp, jpmassar, corvo, Sandino

in places like Oakland or LA where everyone knows it's happening. Although it likely much less common in those places, perhaps non existent. I believe the footage from the shooting of an unarmed homeless man in Albuquerque was taken from the helmet cam of an officer. Clearly, making it a matter of not erasing footage from their camera instead of actively having to report someone means that there will be more incidences filmed I think. If we count those incidents then I think we could say that the number of cops "reporting" has gone up.

One of the truisms of humans is that we are more likely to take a moral action if it means less work for us. Having to actively erase a tape as opposed to just keeping quiet is a big difference in terms of what people think is acceptable. People will always be less likely to actively do something that is obviously wrong or against the rules as opposed to letting transgressions slide.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 01:41:48 PM PDT

•  Good observations (6+ / 0-)

and when as an Albuquerque-area resident, I send comments to local government, media, or ACLU, I make of a point of advocating for robust, mandatory archiving of lapel-cam footage, with audits and penalties for habitual non-compliance.  I think that giving some enforcement teeth to the idea that officers should be filming all interactions, will only protect good cops AND, as you say, make it a lot more affirmative of an action to decide to cover up for a brutal coworker.

by lgmcp on Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 01:46:17 PM PDT

•  I read a story recently (4+ / 0-)
        Sandino, AoT, Calamity Jean, e2247

about the FBI in Florida. I think the time period was around 7 years and  there had been over 400 incidents of officers shooting people and 80+ of those died. Every one of the shootings was "internally investigated" and not one officer was found guilty of wrongdoing.

I've lost a lot of faith in  law enforcement agencies.

“Listen--are you breathing just a little, and calling it a life?” ― Mary Oliver

by weezilgirl on Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 11:02:47 PM PDT

•  Police always rally around their fellow thugs (6+ / 0-)
      jpmassar, corvo, Puddytat, BYw, aitchdee, Sandino

and nothing ever happens to them.  At least not anymore.
      Until the police actually start disciplining and firing their officers for extreme use of force, instead of giving them paid holidays, it won't change my opinion.

I won't call the police unless my insurance agent requires me to do so to process theft claims.  I don't trust the police to protect me.  That doesn't appear to be in their job description anymore.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR. Obama Nation. -6.13 -6.15

by ecostar on Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 01:33:47 PM PDT

•  Why do you think it took nearly a year (4+ / 0-)
      jpmassar, BYw, aitchdee, Sandino

for the dash cam video to be released?

They protect and serve their own interests.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 03:31:44 PM PDT