View Diary: The Democratic party is buying what the Third Way is selling, again. (236 comments)

•  So the Democrats... (10+ / 0-)

Should answer nonsense from the GOP but this type of crap from the third way sellouts should be ignored?  This stuff needs to be loudly refuted if to just throw the base a bone and to show that the Democratic party is rejecting nonsense
    Corporate pollsters that skew their polling to fit their viewpoint.

I sing praises in the church of nonsense, but in my heart I'm still an atheist, demanding sense of all things.

by jbou on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 09:44:41 AM PDT

•  Yes, they should answer nonsense from the GOP. (4+ / 0-)

And stick to the message, which they are doing, and ignore nonsense like this that distracts and attempts to shift the discussion away from income inequality and our policy platform to address it, and toward a "Democrats are divided and against each other" meme that they'd much rather spend the next few months writing about.

If there was a single fact or quote in the entire article that you created this alarmist diary for which indicated the Democrats were going "Third Way", I'd be with you 100%.

But there's not, and I see no reason to play the game that the D.C. media wants us to play.

•  That's the problem (14+ / 0-)

The third way is the real problem not the crazy Republicans who aren't going to be able to get any of their crazy shit done but the third way wants trade treaties that favor their corporate backers so they skew polling to convince Democrats to back bad trade policy. This is why the Democratic party can't truly embrace populism.

by jbou on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 10:05:54 AM PDT

•  This borders on Tea Party logic. (3+ / 0-)
          Matt Z, Yoshimi, emelyn

THE ENEMY IS WITHIN!!!

•  It is (10+ / 0-)

If you choose not to accept this that's your delusion.

by jbou on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 10:13:53 AM PDT

•  There's delusion going on. (2+ / 0-)
              Matt Z, Yoshimi

I'll agree with that much.

•  The Democratic party has shown... (19+ / 0-)

Themselves to be corporate and middle of the road when it comes to policy. You can continue to think otherwise but the policies that Bill Clinton and Barack Obama signed into law that came from the Democratic party in Congress have been corporate friendly and moderate. That's the facts and it's also a fact that the Democratic party has been relying on third way pollsters like Mark Penn since the 90's and if Hillary Clinton is the nominee will still be using him. This is why a certain faction of the Democratic party is pissed off.

by jbou on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 10:23:26 AM PDT

•  Was waiting for the inevitable Hillary connection. (3+ / 0-)
                  Yoshimi, Matt Z, virginislandsguy

Maybe if you threw her name in to the rest of this factually inaccurate diary, you'd get a few more recs!

•  This is not going to work (9+ / 0-)

You think things are one way and I think they are the other way. Why do you engage people like me? You do realize that I think you're a totally clueless corporate sellout and you think I'm a purist who hates Hillary Clinton or some other such nonsense.

We are not going to agree. Goodbye.

by jbou on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 10:45:24 AM PDT

•  I could care less what you think of me. (4+ / 0-)
                      Yoshimi, Eric K, Matt Z, emelyn

I've fought for progressive causes my entire adult life and I'm proud to continue to do so.

My issue with your diary is that it's an entirely false premise based on a bad headline of a terrible Washington Post article that's own quotes undermine what the article is claiming.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion.  But your facts, in this diary, are blatantly, obviously wrong, and do not help the causes you claim to support.

•  I admitted it was a pr piece for the third way (2+ / 0-)
                        on the cusp, flowerfarmer

Our disagreement came when I said that the Democratic party needs to refute this stuff.

Goodbye.

by jbou on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 10:52:35 AM PDT

•  Your claim (4+ / 0-)
                          Yoshimi, Eric K, Matt Z, virginislandsguy

"The Democratic Party is buying what the Third way is selling, again."

Support for this claim in the article you based your diary upon: NONE.

THAT is the basis of my disagreement with you.  Your diary is factually inaccurate.  If it was factual, I would agree with you that the Democrats needed to refute this way of thought.  But it's not.

•  They've only been buying (10+ / 0-)

it since Reagan.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 11:06:50 AM PDT

•  Alex sink (11+ / 0-)

Alex sink embraced the third way message and lost her election. The dcc and dscc relies on the third way pollsters to help shape their message. You don’t have a clue. Like I said you are wrong and you will never admit you're wrong so you and I have nothing to discuss.

by jbou on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 11:08:32 AM PDT

•  See, I agree with you about the Sink race. (0+ / 0-)

Just not this article supporting the claim your diary made.

Oh, well.

•  slight quibble (1+ / 0-)
                            jbou

Alex Sink did not "embrace" third way. Alex Sink IS third way through and through.

"I don't want to run the empire, I want to bring it down!" ~ Dr. Cornel West "...isn't the problem here that the government takes on, arbitrarily and without justification, an adversarial attitude towards its citizenry?" ~ SouthernLiberalinMD

by gulfgal98 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 at 04:49:30 AM PDT

•  So you DON'T agree... (4+ / 0-)
                            itsbenj, 3goldens, elwior, Johnny Q

...that "the Democrats need to refute this line of thought" because you object to this diary?

In other words, if the diary had what amounts to a different title and the omission of a one-sentence remark by the diarist at the end, you wouldn't be making such a fuss over something you would otherwise think should be done?

I suppose we should at least be thankful you didn't declare it "CT."

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. ~ Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 01:06:58 PM PDT

•  I don't think the article has any credibility. (0+ / 0-)

And I think the characterization the diary has made - that Democrats are buying what the Third Way is selling" - is patently false, and quite frankly, a dishonest characterization of the actual Democrats in the article.

The WP article claims that there's division among Democrats between pushing against income inequality and being, I guess, less liberal? The problem is, none of the Democrats quoted in the article support that division.

The diary then goes the further step of claiming there's no division at all, and the the Democratic Party is going Third Way.

If the diarist had omitted the headline and the one sentence remark, there'd be no diary left.  All this diary is is a passage from an article that includes no direct quotes, despite there being many in the article cited (all of which counter the diarist's characterization of what's going on.)

It's shoddy, alarmist, and dishonest.  If his claims were true - that the Democratic Party was going Third Way for the midterms - I would be 100% on board with the criticisms and call for high-profile Democrats to denounce this approach.

But as many others have already observed, it's just not TRUE this particular election cycle.  The Democrats are running a base election, even in the red states, where vulnerable Dems are pushing the populist message.

If they were using the Alex Sink race as the template instead of Terry McAuliffe's, I'd be alarmed and screaming "Iceberg Straight Ahead!!!"

But there's no evidence that's happening.  It's just what the DC press wants to happen. Hence, this article.

•  Schumer's quote is the crux of the article (5+ / 0-)

for me. The idea that we can ignore rising wealth and still address income inequality is flatly wrong. Nothing the Dems are pushing at a national level will have any significant effect on income inequality. They can't even include tipped workers in the minimum wage for god's sake, even though they're running on the war on women and women are far more likely to be a tipped worker.

What they're openly saying is that they will ignore Wall Street and the wealthy. That's unacceptable and will in no way solve the problem.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 02:26:13 PM PDT

•  Bullying again. (0+ / 0-)

You just need to stop.

•  You need to learn how to ignore me (2+ / 0-)
                        itsbenj, DeadHead

by jbou on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 11:49:50 AM PDT

•  No, apparently it's YOUR fault, because... (8+ / 0-)

You "bullied" them into your diary and BADGERED them into objecting to something that, had you chosen a different title, they would've otherwise agreed with.

It doesn't matter that you tried to terminate the discussion by saying, "we aren't going to agree, goodbye," because you needed to concede the argument and say "thank you, may I have some more?"

by DeadHead on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 12:40:56 PM PDT

•  Not sure who this is adressed to. (2+ / 0-)
                        orestes1963, elwior

But if the implication is that either jbou or DeadHead is bullying me in any way with these responses, I strongly disagree with that conclusion.

If I'm bullying in any way, please let me know what I'm saying or doing that is demonstrating that behavior.  I will adjust it accordingly.

•  so you think HRC (4+ / 0-)
                    on the cusp, jbou, dfarrah, 3goldens

will emulate BC or not?

You may recall he signed into the law the repeal of Glass-Steagall which opened the floodgates for the biggest Wall St. rip off(still ongoing) in world history.

Quite an accomplishment for a President supporting the "working man"….

•  For a while now, I've been saying it's 95% certain (1+ / 0-)
                  AoT

that Hillary Clinton would run for president in 2016. I thought that the only thing that'd keep here out were health concerns.

I now believe those concerns may very well be real.  The giveaway will be her willingness to release her health records, particularly for the late 2013 - early 2014 time period, including and surrounding her stay at NY-Presbyterian Hospital.
                     And I no longer believe there is a 95% certainty she will run.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 04:38:40 PM PDT

•  You realize you are on a blog specifically create (5+ / 0-)

around that belief, right? This is just as much about fighting the third way as about fighting the GOP. Are you really that daft that you don't understand what this blog has stood for over the years?

No War but Class War

by AoT on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 01:11:30 PM PDT

•  Luckily Sen. Warren and other liberals (13+ / 0-)

are pushing an increasingly populist economic agenda

But many liberal Democrats, represented most prominently by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), have been pushing an increasingly populist economic agenda. Some warn against papering over the wealth gap with euphemisms.
          “It matters a lot, and I think that talking about inequality is talking about raising the bottom in a very concrete way for everybody, whereas talking about opportunity is much more narrowly focused,” said John Schmitt, an economist with the liberal Center for Economic and Policy Research.

_______________The DOD/ War Department, which consumes 22% of the national budget, is the world's largest employer with 3.2 million employees.

by allenjo on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 11:27:47 AM PDT

•  Senator Warren is in tune with the plight of the (3+ / 0-)
            AoT, allenjo, happymisanthropy

average American family. She really gets it and is able to communicate that understanding, as well as the very real actions to take going forward.

I believe she will end up being our nominee for that reason, and because Hillary Clinton will not prove to be an unbeatable candidate, as has been prematurely proclaimed.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

• Law (19)
  • Spam (19)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Media (18)
  • Labor (18)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (15)
  • White House (14)
  • International (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site