View Diary: After free contraception program, Colorado teen birth rate plummets (90 comments)

•  Ideally, teens would wait (6+ / 0-)

to have sex until they are emotionally and intellectually able to handle the consequences. But if they're not going to wait, better to equip them with the tools to avoid the worst-case scenarios.

by Cali Scribe on Mon Jul 07, 2014 at 02:37:41 PM PDT

•  There are plenty of teens who wait (9+ / 0-)

to have sex -- I was in college before my first sexual experience (though I did push the envelope with some heavy petting sessions in the back of the Young Life van). Mr. Scribe was also well out of high school before his first sexual experience. Contrary to public perceptions, high schools are not a wall-to-wall fuck session.

by Cali Scribe on Mon Jul 07, 2014 at 03:27:35 PM PDT

•  You are right that many teens wait, but for a (0+ / 0-)

significant portion of those, it is just because the opportunity never arose for one reason or another. Those who deny that teens have sex because they want to are denying biology. Every other species begins mating as soon as they are sexually mature. Why should we believe that humans are any different? The biological drive is there, and teens are not particularly good at impulse control. We can try to talk our kids out of having sex until they are more mature, but it is good to also arm them with knowledge of how the body works and how to not become pregnant or catch an STD.

Republicans - A pathology, not a party.

by storeysound on Wed Jul 09, 2014 at 12:46:41 PM PDT

•  We never waited. (5+ / 0-)
      NancyWH, OldDragon, mystery2me, alx9090, Pixie5

What makes you think they will?  Should we have waited?  glad I didn't.  Wish I had gotten over my Catholic shame sooner.  Wish someone had explained it as a normal part of life, in all its sprawling aspects..

We need to get over ourselves.  Hurling aging frames into the stampede of youth in a frantic effort to deflect it is what we laughed at our parents for.

My grandparents (born around 1900) lived the Roaring 20s with gangsters, flappers and movies that routinely showed abortions, drug use, kept women, gays and nudity.  Great Gatsby and the Harlem Renaissance. Prohibition.  Free love.  They were no innocents.  My parents WWII generation cleaned it up for the kids.

This generation reminds me a lot of their experiences.

We didn't invent sex.  Neither did your parents.  We survived.

Teach your children well.    Remember: they have the web.....any 5 year old can Google 'SEX.'  And probably has.

You can have freedom or ignorance. Never both. - me

by nolagrl on Mon Jul 07, 2014 at 03:58:07 PM PDT

•  And lest we forget, many (particularly girls) of (0+ / 0-)

our grandparents' and great-grandparents' generations were marrying and having kids (not necessarily in that order) at the age of 16 or 17, as has been the case throughout human history. Delaying marriage, and, theoretically, sex and child-bearing until the late teens or twenties is a very recent development, and coincided with the increasing access to college and the general workforce in the early part of the 20th Century, and accelerated with so many women entering the workforce during WWII.

Republicans - A pathology, not a party.

by storeysound on Wed Jul 09, 2014 at 01:05:46 PM PDT

•  I have often wondered why the body grows up (2+ / 0-)
      NotActingNaive, VPofKarma

faster than the brain. The brain does not fully mature until around age 25. That is why kids make stupid choices because the part of the brain dealing with consequences is undeveloped.

My guess is that evolutionary-wise it didn't matter in tribal cultures because children were raised communally. So the more mature adults helped in the raising instead of having children raising children.

However there is another possibility. Neural plasticity. In most tribal cultures they prepare children for adulthood through ritual and initiation bestowing greater responsibility on them around the age of 13. Is it possible that that somehow affects how the brain develops?

Our extended childhood to accomodate education has created many problems because in more "primitive" cultures sexual activity started much younger.

Yes it is better to wait but preparedness makes sense. Even in the "good old days" when pre-marital sex was frowned upon, we still had a problem with teenage pregnancy. It was just hidden better.

I take the phrase "Bleeding Heart Liberal" as a compliment...

by Pixie5 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 at 08:51:50 PM PDT