View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 7/18 (270 comments)

•  To some extent, but probably not (2+ / 0-)
    sulthernao, MichaelNY

Much of our incumbents' strength comes from their incumbency, especially so for Energy Committee Chair Landrieu, who would lose a lot of appeal if she'd run against Vitter. I also don't think Pryor would run against either Boozman or a Sen. Cotton.

Begich and Hagan could still keep their political careers alive, though Begich would probably not bother running against Murkowski and as Trosk says, there are other non-tainted-by-a-loss-Democrats in NC such as Janet Cowell. Both could also run for other state-wide offices.

ALG would definitely be viable in 2016 if she comes within 1-2% against McConnell. Nunn could too if she comes close. We do have benches in both states, though.

19/Sweden/Wonk. Prefers discussing opinions to having them. Learning by doing.

by Tayya on Fri Jul 18, 2014 at 06:58:21 AM PDT

•  Ah, but Landrieu.. (3+ / 0-)
      James Allen, BlueSasha, MichaelNY

wouldn't be running against Vitter now, would she. Vitter's running for governor in 2015.

•  He wouldn't have to resign his seat (0+ / 0-)

So he could theoretically still be the incumbent in 2016. My point still stands with a Republican appointment or designated nominee, though.

19/Sweden/Wonk. Prefers discussing opinions to having them. Learning by doing.

by Tayya on Fri Jul 18, 2014 at 09:21:32 AM PDT

•  Vitter is resigning, he's already had a long (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

promise to only run for two terms.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 at 09:30:53 AM PDT

•  He'd have to resign in mid-January 2016 (2+ / 0-)
          terjeanderson, MichaelNY

The jungle special would be within 11 weeks of the announcement, so we'd be looking at a late March-early April jungle and a general a month later. That will be in the heat of the nutsmanship olympics, so we may have an opportunity if the stars align.

ME-01 (college) ID-01 (home) -4.75, -2.10

by GoUBears on Fri Jul 18, 2014 at 09:41:15 AM PDT

•  If he wouldn't win, I meant (1+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY

Bad wording from me, sorry about that.

If he wins, he will of course have to resign. If Dardenne wins, he doesn't have to.

Susan Collins also promised to retire after two terms. We all know what happened with that promise.

19/Sweden/Wonk. Prefers discussing opinions to having them. Learning by doing.

by Tayya on Fri Jul 18, 2014 at 09:56:29 AM PDT

•  My Louisiana sources (3+ / 0-)
              terjeanderson, GoUBears, MichaelNY

are not as good as in Mississippi. However, I have heard some people speculate that Vitter may resign in January of 2015 to focus full time on a gubernatorial run, as he knows the competition will be fierce, and he'll have to skip votes to campaign and fundraise, but if does that and remains in the senate, it opens him to attacks that he's ignoring the job that he's being paid to do.

by ArkDem14 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 at 10:03:03 AM PDT

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (20)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site